|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of business did Herr Karl Glocken own in Mexico?
(a) Newspaper and tobacco
(c) Publishing company
(d) Law firm
2. Where are the characters confined?
(a) In a hospital
(b) In a bomb shelter
(c) Close quarters on a ship
(d) In a church
3. Where are the Spanish people headed?
4. In what month of the year does the story take place?
5. What is the name of the Huttens' bulldog?
6. How many Americans are on board the ship?
7. What is the state of the health of Herr Wilibald Graf?
(c) Heart disease
(d) Some minor problems
8. What is the name of the Swedish man on board the ship?
(a) Sven Hansen
(b) Sven Swenson
(c) Arne Swenson
(d) Arne Hansen
9. What is the feeling of most of the passengers regarding Mexico?
(a) It's too hot
(b) Happy to be leaving
(c) It's too poor
(d) Sad to be leaving
10. What is Herr Wilibald Graf's role?
(c) Law enforcement
(d) Religious zealot
11. In what country had La Condesa lived?
12. What is the mood of the passengers?
13. The local people view the travelers with ____________________.
14. Where does the action take place?
(a) A university
(b) A ship
(c) A townhouse
(d) A church
15. What seems to be the only time the passengers are comfortable?
(a) When they're on lounge chairs
(b) When they segregate by nationality
(c) When they're strolling on deck
(d) When they're sleeping
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the distinguishing physical characteristic of Herr Karl Glocken?
2. What are the names of the six-year-old twins on board the ship?
3. Why do some of the ship's passengers want to talk to the captain about these Spanish people?
4. What is the nationality of the passengers?
5. In what Mexican city does the novel begin?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)