|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leighton signal to the Sutherland during its attempt to rescue the Pluto?
2. What weapon does Hornblower use against the French sailors in Chapter 11?
3. What makes the Spanish shore difficult to navigate in Chapter 16?
4. How far is Port Vendres, France from the Spanish fortress?
5. Where does the Pluto go for repairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, how does Hornblower assess the ships in his squadron?
2. Why does Leighton want to team up with the Spanish army in Chapter 17?
3. Why is Hornblower able to take over the French coaster so easily?
4. What happens when Hornblower finally returns the Sutherland to the rendezvous point in Chapter 15?
5. What does Colonel Juan Claros bring with him to help the English?
6. After attacking the French battery, what does Hornblower think of his crew?
7. Why doesn't the full Spanish army materialize in Chapter 18?
8. In Chapter 11, what are Hornblower's plans for the attack of the French?
9. Why does Hornblower decide to attack using the canal in Chapter 12?
10. How does Hornblower lead the attack on the Italian army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the ocean and other waterways characters in this novel? How are they characterized? How are they developed? What role do they play in developing the other characters and moving the plot forward?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the narrator delivers the plot of this novel. Choose three elements that define the narrator's style and explore each in terms of their effectiveness.
Essay Topic 3
Follow the development of Longley as a character. How does he grow? What does he symbolize? Examine the turning point for his character and how it helped to move the plot forward.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)