|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hornblower react to the weather while rescuing the Pluto?
2. What does Villena have in Chapter 13 that helps Hornblower plan his next move?
3. What cuts Hornblower's visit with Leighton short in Chapter 15?
4. How many men does Hornblower take with him for the attack on Port Vendres, France?
5. What does Hornblower tell the crew on the French coaster to do when he takes it over?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the storm in Chapter 15, what happens to the Pluto?
2. In Chapter 15, how does Hornblower assess the ships in his squadron?
3. Why doesn't the full Spanish army materialize in Chapter 18?
4. What happens to Hornblower when he retreats with Longley in Chapter 18?
5. Why does Leighton want to team up with the Spanish army in Chapter 17?
6. In Chapter 11, what are Hornblower's plans for the attack of the French?
7. Why does Hornblower decide to attack using the canal in Chapter 12?
8. How does the Italian army react when the Sutherland comes alongside them?
9. What happens when the French leave their strongpoint in Chapter 18?
10. After attacking the French battery, what does Hornblower think of his crew?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What types of prizes and rewards does Hornblower receive while on the sea in the Sutherland? How does he respond to each of these? What do they represent to him? How do they impact Hornblower's actions and thoughts afterward?
Essay Topic 2
Consider Hornblower's fame, successes and failures throughout this novel. What defines each part of his career? How do they work together? How do they work against each other?
Essay Topic 3
Hornblower often had bouts of moodiness. Examine the causes of these moods and the effects on the rest of the novel, including the plot and character development.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)