|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower have Major Laird lead in Chapter 18?
2. Why does Hornblower turn the Sutherland around after the attack on the Italian army?
3. What gets burned in Chapter 11?
4. Why does Hornblower decide to pass the rendezvous point at the dead of night in Chapter 13?
5. Who throws a line out to the Pluto in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hornblower concerned about teaming up with the Spanish?
2. What does Colonel Juan Claros bring with him to help the English?
3. In Chapter 15, how does Hornblower assess the ships in his squadron?
4. What happens when Hornblower finally returns the Sutherland to the rendezvous point in Chapter 15?
5. What happens to Hornblower when he retreats with Longley in Chapter 18?
6. How does Leighton feel about saving the Pluto?
7. What happens when the French leave their strongpoint in Chapter 18?
8. In Chapter 13, why does Hornblower decide to pass the rendezvous point?
9. Why doesn't the full Spanish army materialize in Chapter 18?
10. After their coaster is taken over and destroyed, how do the French try to get even with Hornblower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is England represented in this novel? How is England described? What is the effect of England being portrayed this way? Use specific example from the novel to support your ideas, including the narrator's, or character's, vocabulary.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the ways that Hornblower recruits crew for his ship and missions. Compare and contrast these methods, and evaluate them in terms of honesty.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two scenes of military action. Consider who is in charge, the orders, the action itself, and the final effects.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)