|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Spanish commanding officer?
2. In Chapter 18, who does Hornblower retreat with?
3. In Chapter 17, who does Leighton decide to enter into a joint operation with?
4. Why does Leighton want Hornblower to lead his forces in Chapter 17?
5. What gets burned in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, how does Hornblower assess the ships in his squadron?
2. Who is Villena?
3. Why is Hornblower able to take over the French coaster so easily?
4. Why does Hornblower's crew delay shooting the baggage animals in Chapter 14?
5. What happens to Hornblower when he retreats with Longley in Chapter 18?
6. What do Hornblower's crew do once the people leave the French coaster?
7. What happens when the Pluto comes close to the Spanish coast in Chapter 16?
8. Why is the Italian army heading to Spain?
9. How does Leighton feel about saving the Pluto?
10. How does Brown help to save the Pluto in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is England represented in this novel? How is England described? What is the effect of England being portrayed this way? Use specific example from the novel to support your ideas, including the narrator's, or character's, vocabulary.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the narrator delivers the plot of this novel. Choose three elements that define the narrator's style and explore each in terms of their effectiveness.
Essay Topic 3
"Ship of the Line" is considered to be historical fiction. What is historical fiction, and how does this novel meet the requirements of the genre?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)