|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the Sutherland after it was captured?
2. What successful cruise does Captain Horatio Hornblower come off of at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. When do the two French luggers appear?
4. What does Hornblower have made after the French brig is captured?
5. How does Hornblower meet Lady Barbara Leighton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hornblower offered as a reward for his work helping the Indianmen ships arrive safely?
2. What happens when the two French luggers come upon the Sutherland?
3. What is Leighton's squadron?
4. In Chapter 5, what does the green crew do to upset Hornblower?
5. What does Hornblower do with his favorite sword in Chapter 5?
6. Why does Hornblower have a difficult time falling asleep in Chapter 4?
7. How does Hornblower react after the French lugger attack, and why?
8. What is Hornblower's opinion of Bolton?
9. How does Hornblower feel about having women on his ship?
10. What does Hornblower complain about in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hornblower often had bouts of moodiness. Examine the causes of these moods and the effects on the rest of the novel, including the plot and character development.
Essay Topic 2
What types of prizes and rewards does Hornblower receive while on the sea in the Sutherland? How does he respond to each of these? What do they represent to him? How do they impact Hornblower's actions and thoughts afterward?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hornblower's crew aboard the Sutherland grow from a mismatched effort into a well-built team? What are the results of this growth?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)