|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the Sutherland done to the other ships in her squadron the day they set for the sea?
2. What is Hornblower offered for his services, escorting the Indiamen?
3. How does Hornblower pay for his personal provisions to be used while on the Sutherland?
4. What signal does the French brig raise on its flags?
5. Who does Bolton casually disregard while having dinner with Hornblower?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hornblower offered as a reward for his work helping the Indianmen ships arrive safely?
2. What is worrisome about the Indiamen ships' signals?
3. What makes Hornblower nervous about his dinner with the Leightons in Chapter 3?
4. What happens when Bolton and Hornblower have dinner in Chapter 9?
5. What role does Bush play in the capture of the Spanish fortress?
6. What does Hornblower complain about in Chapter 6?
7. What does Hornblower assume about the French brig's flag that says "MV"?
8. What does Hornblower capture from the Spanish fortress?
9. What is Hornblower's relationship with Barbara Leighton at the beginning of this novel?
10. After dropping off the Indianmen ships, what does Hornblower do to their crew?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hornblower often had bouts of moodiness. Examine the causes of these moods and the effects on the rest of the novel, including the plot and character development.
Essay Topic 2
While preparing the Sutherland, Hornblower was very concerned about the stores. What did the supplies and stores represent to Hornblower, and what did the lack of them mean to the novel? How was this issue resolved?
Essay Topic 3
How do the characters in this novel feel about wealth? How do they measure it? How do they reflect on it? How is wealth a character or driving force in this novel?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)