|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Indiamen does the Sutherland escort?
2. How does the Sutherland react to the two French luggers?
3. Who is England at war with during the opening of this novel?
4. What does the Sutherland's crew do on their day waiting in Chapter 9?
5. Why are the French luggers a threat to the Sutherland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hornblower's first impression of the Boltons?
2. What is worrisome about the Indiamen ships' signals?
3. After dropping off the Indianmen ships, what does Hornblower do to their crew?
4. How does Hornblower get to the Spanish fortress?
5. What makes Hornblower nervous about his dinner with the Leightons in Chapter 3?
6. What does Hornblower do when he is accused of breaking the law in Chapter 8?
7. What does Hornblower complain about in Chapter 6?
8. What is Hornblower offered as a reward for his work helping the Indianmen ships arrive safely?
9. How are the new crew treated aboard the Sutherland?
10. What happens when Bolton and Hornblower have dinner in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Ship of the Line" is considered to be historical fiction. What is historical fiction, and how does this novel meet the requirements of the genre?
Essay Topic 2
How are the French described and reflected on in this novel? Why is this the case? What role might this novel had played in history?
Essay Topic 3
How do the characters in this novel feel about wealth? How do they measure it? How do they reflect on it? How is wealth a character or driving force in this novel?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)