|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What signal does the French brig raise on its flags?
2. Who built the Sutherland?
3. What is Hornblower offered for his services, escorting the Indiamen?
4. How does Hornblower feel when the Sutherland finally leaves port?
5. What bothers Hornblower the most about leaving Maria to work on the Sutherland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hornblower's first impression of the Boltons?
2. What worries from home does Hornblower take with him onto the Sutherland?
3. After dropping off the Indianmen ships, what does Hornblower do to their crew?
4. What role does Bush play in the capture of the Spanish fortress?
5. What is worrisome about the Indiamen ships' signals?
6. What happens when the two French luggers come upon the Sutherland?
7. Why is Hornblower so relieved when the Sutherland leaves port?
8. How does Hornblower react after the French lugger attack, and why?
9. How are the new crew treated aboard the Sutherland?
10. What does Hornblower assume about the French brig's flag that says "MV"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Hornblower's relationship with his wife, Maria, to his relationship with Barbara.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between Leighton and Hornblower. How does each character have power over the other? How do they relate in their personal lives? How do they relate in their work lives? What makes this relationship complex?
Essay Topic 3
How are the French described and reflected on in this novel? Why is this the case? What role might this novel had played in history?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)