|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men from the Indiamen ships become part of the Sutherland's crew?
2. Who built the Sutherland?
3. What does Hornblower prevent Bush from doing when the Sutherland heads for the sea?
4. After leaving the convoy of Indiamen, what direction does Hornblower head?
5. What bothers Hornblower the most about leaving Maria to work on the Sutherland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Bush play in the capture of the Spanish fortress?
2. Why does Hornblower have a difficult time falling asleep in Chapter 4?
3. How does Hornblower ready the Sutherland for sea?
4. What does Hornblower do when he is accused of breaking the law in Chapter 8?
5. How does Hornblower react after the French lugger attack, and why?
6. What is Hornblower's opinion of Bolton?
7. What happens when the two French luggers come upon the Sutherland?
8. What does the Sutherland look like?
9. Why is Hornblower so relieved when the Sutherland leaves port?
10. What happens when Bolton and Hornblower have dinner in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hornblower's crew aboard the Sutherland grow from a mismatched effort into a well-built team? What are the results of this growth?
Essay Topic 2
Hornblower often had bouts of moodiness. Examine the causes of these moods and the effects on the rest of the novel, including the plot and character development.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two scenes of military action. Consider who is in charge, the orders, the action itself, and the final effects.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)