|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower discuss with Bolton during their first dinner together?
2. In Chapter 5, what type of crew member does Hornblower want the most of?
3. How do the military men aboard the Sutherland feel about the Indiamen's crew's work ethic?
4. How do the French luggers attack the Sutherland?
5. What is Hornblower offered for his services, escorting the Indiamen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Bolton and Hornblower have dinner in Chapter 9?
2. What things does Hornblower do to increase the size of the Sutherland's crew?
3. What does Hornblower complain about in Chapter 6?
4. What happens when Maria brings up Barbara during her walk home with Hornblower in Chapter 4?
5. How does Hornblower get to the Spanish fortress?
6. What is worrisome about the Indiamen ships' signals?
7. How does Hornblower feel about having women on his ship?
8. What is Hornblower's first impression of the Boltons?
9. What is Leighton's squadron?
10. What is Hornblower's opinion of Bolton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two scenes of military action. Consider who is in charge, the orders, the action itself, and the final effects.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Hornblower's relationship with his wife, Maria, to his relationship with Barbara.
Essay Topic 3
How do the characters in this novel feel about wealth? How do they measure it? How do they reflect on it? How is wealth a character or driving force in this novel?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)