|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leighton signal to the Sutherland during its attempt to rescue the Pluto?
(a) To throw more rope.
(b) To call for backup.
(c) To have people jump overboard.
(d) To stop.
2. How do Hornblower and his volunteers reach the French coaster?
(a) They walk.
(b) They use a life boat.
(c) They swim.
(d) They take a canoe.
3. Where does Hornblower aim the grapeshot at the Italian army?
(a) The infantry.
(b) The wagons.
(c) The artillery.
4. How many quarterdeck cannonades does Hornblower use against the Italian army?
5. In Chapter 18, who says: "Twarn't Horny's fault"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leighton describe Hornblower's estimate of Italian casualties?
2. Where does the Pluto go for repairs?
3. What does Claros do with his Spanish infantry when the French march from their strongpoint in Chapter 18?
4. What occupation does Villena resist?
5. How does Hornblower describe the initial attacks on the French battery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Pluto comes close to the Spanish coast in Chapter 16?
2. How does Hornblower lead the attack on the Italian army?
3. Why does Leighton want to team up with the Spanish army in Chapter 17?
4. After attacking the French battery, what does Hornblower think of his crew?
5. In Chapter 11, what are Hornblower's plans for the attack of the French?
6. Why is Hornblower concerned about teaming up with the Spanish?
7. How does the Italian army react when the Sutherland comes alongside them?
8. Why does Hornblower's crew delay shooting the baggage animals in Chapter 14?
9. Who is Villena?
10. During the storm in Chapter 15, what happens to the Pluto?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)