|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hornblower lead the initial attack on the French battery?
(a) To show his power.
(b) To cause confusion.
(c) To force more crew members.
(d) To capture the battery.
2. What occupation does Villena resist?
(a) The English occupation of Germany.
(b) The French occupation of Spain.
(c) The English occupation of India.
(d) The Spanish occupation of France.
3. Why is saving the Pluto difficult to do in Chapter 16?
(a) The boat is completely covered with water.
(b) The boat is too far away.
(c) The boat is close to the shore.
(d) The boat is on fire.
4. Once the French-occupied strongpoint can be seen, what does Hornblower decide to do?
(a) Shoot from a distance.
(b) Wait to progress.
(c) March straight into it.
(d) Divide into two groups to surround it.
5. What weapon does Hornblower use against the French sailors in Chapter 11?
(a) A gun.
(b) A sword.
(c) A cannon.
(d) His bare hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of Hornblower's crew is the last to retreat in Chapter 18?
2. What makes the Spanish shore difficult to navigate in Chapter 16?
3. How many quarterdeck cannonades does Hornblower use against the Italian army?
4. Where does Hornblower aim the round shot at the Italian army?
5. How does Hornblower react to the weather while rescuing the Pluto?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the French leave their strongpoint in Chapter 18?
2. Why is Hornblower able to take over the French coaster so easily?
3. After their coaster is taken over and destroyed, how do the French try to get even with Hornblower?
4. How does Leighton feel about saving the Pluto?
5. Who is Villena?
6. Why does Hornblower decide to attack using the canal in Chapter 12?
7. How does Brown help to save the Pluto in Chapter 16?
8. How does Hornblower lead the attack on the Italian army?
9. During the storm in Chapter 15, what happens to the Pluto?
10. What do Hornblower's crew do once the people leave the French coaster?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)