|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Pluto nearly collide with the Sutherland in Chapter 16?
(a) The weather is bad.
(b) The captain of the Pluto is angry.
(c) The Sutherland is out of control.
(d) It is windy.
2. What makes the Spanish shore difficult to navigate in Chapter 16?
(a) It is sandy.
(b) It is hard to see.
(c) It is rocky.
(d) It is well-protected.
3. Where does the Pluto go for repairs?
4. What does Hornblower order that successfully guides the Pluto to safety?
(a) A move-and-go.
(b) A wed-in-water.
(c) A tack-in-succession.
(d) A slow-and-steady.
5. What cuts Hornblower's visit with Leighton short in Chapter 15?
(a) The weather.
(c) Leighton's mood.
(d) Hornblower's health.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hornblower aim the round shot at the Italian army?
2. How far is Port Vendres, France from the Spanish fortress?
3. What occupation does Villena resist?
4. What type of game does Hornblower say rescuing the Pluto was?
5. What does Hornblower capture the night after the attack on the French battery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hornblower lead the attack on the Italian army?
2. What happens when Hornblower finally returns the Sutherland to the rendezvous point in Chapter 15?
3. What happens when the Pluto comes close to the Spanish coast in Chapter 16?
4. What do Hornblower's crew do once the people leave the French coaster?
5. In Chapter 15, how does Hornblower assess the ships in his squadron?
6. Why does Hornblower's crew delay shooting the baggage animals in Chapter 14?
7. In Chapter 13, why does Hornblower decide to pass the rendezvous point?
8. Why is Hornblower concerned about teaming up with the Spanish?
9. Why doesn't the full Spanish army materialize in Chapter 18?
10. What does Colonel Juan Claros bring with him to help the English?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)