|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 12, what does Hornblower say the French will have to do?
(a) Protect their coast.
(b) Build a new boat.
(d) Take out a loan.
2. How many men does Hornblower take with him for the attack on Port Vendres, France?
3. How does Hornblower ensure that the Pluto doesn't collide with the Sutherland?
(a) He cuts the rope between the ships.
(b) He signals to the Pluto.
(c) He guages the wind.
(d) He makes the Sutherland move faster.
4. What is unique about the French coast?
(a) Sailors can't get close to the coast.
(b) It's full of cities and fortresses.
(c) It's too rocky to navigate.
(d) Sailors don't have to use deep water.
5. What do Hornblower and his men do when they are aboard the French coaster?
(a) They sink it.
(b) They take the fixtures.
(c) They take hostages.
(d) They start fires.
Short Answer Questions
1. What draft animals are used in Chapter 18 to help the English?
2. What does Hornblower tell his officers during dinner in Chapter 11?
3. How does Leighton react to news of the face-off with the French in Chapter 18?
4. Who is the Spanish commanding officer?
5. Why does Hornblower lead the initial attack on the French battery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Leighton want to team up with the Spanish army in Chapter 17?
2. How does Leighton feel about saving the Pluto?
3. In Chapter 13, why does Hornblower decide to pass the rendezvous point?
4. What do Hornblower's crew do once the people leave the French coaster?
5. Why does Hornblower's crew delay shooting the baggage animals in Chapter 14?
6. Why does Hornblower decide to attack using the canal in Chapter 12?
7. Who is Villena?
8. What happens when the Pluto comes close to the Spanish coast in Chapter 16?
9. After attacking the French battery, what does Hornblower think of his crew?
10. What happens when the French leave their strongpoint in Chapter 18?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)