|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the French luggers attack the Sutherland?
(a) With guns.
(b) With fire.
(c) With cannons.
(d) They don't attack.
2. How does Hornblower describe the way he dresses while dining with the Leightons?
3. When the Sutherland sets out to sea, what other ships accompany it?
(a) Merchant ships.
(c) Battle ships.
(d) Fishing boats.
4. How does Hornblower describe the Sutherland?
5. How many guns are on the Sutherland?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is England at war with during the opening of this novel?
2. Who leads the attack on the Spanish in Chapter 10?
3. How does the Sutherland react to the two French luggers?
4. Why does Hornblower think Barbara may have married Leighton?
5. How does Hornblower's crew change after the French lugger attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hornblower ready the Sutherland for sea?
2. In Chapter 5, why does Hornblower worry so much about the crew?
3. What is Hornblower's first impression of the Boltons?
4. In Chapter 5, what does the green crew do to upset Hornblower?
5. What does Hornblower assume about the French brig's flag that says "MV"?
6. What worries from home does Hornblower take with him onto the Sutherland?
7. What happens when Maria brings up Barbara during her walk home with Hornblower in Chapter 4?
8. What is Hornblower offered as a reward for his work helping the Indianmen ships arrive safely?
9. What does the Sutherland look like?
10. What things does Hornblower do to increase the size of the Sutherland's crew?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)