|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Indiamen does the Sutherland escort?
2. Why does Hornblower denounce his crew after the French lugger attack?
(a) Because the crew shouldn't gloat.
(b) Because the crew moved too slowly.
(c) Because the French will come back.
(d) Because the French ships were puny.
3. How does Hornblower feel about the green crew's first attempt to handle the Sutherland?
(a) He is worried.
(b) He is at ease.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) He is proud.
4. How many of the Indianmen crew volunteer to join the Sutherland?
(a) All of them.
(b) About half of them.
(c) None of them.
5. How does Hornblower describe the Sutherland?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Governor-designate of Bombay?
2. Who asks Hornblower to work on the Sutherland?
3. How does Hornblower feel as he nears the place where he will drop off the Indiamen?
4. Why are the French luggers a threat to the Sutherland?
5. Why does Hornblower turn down the invitation for dinner after dropping off the Indiamen convoy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hornblower have a difficult time falling asleep in Chapter 4?
2. What role does Bush play in the capture of the Spanish fortress?
3. How are the new crew treated aboard the Sutherland?
4. What does the Sutherland look like?
5. What makes Hornblower nervous about his dinner with the Leightons in Chapter 3?
6. What is Hornblower's opinion of Bolton?
7. What happens when Maria brings up Barbara during her walk home with Hornblower in Chapter 4?
8. What happens when the two French luggers come upon the Sutherland?
9. What does Hornblower assume about the French brig's flag that says "MV"?
10. What is Leighton's squadron?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)