|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sutherland post fliers in Chapter 1?
(a) To get help escaping the French.
(b) To undermine the King.
(c) To recruit crew members.
(d) To find a missing dog.
2. After leaving the convoy of Indiamen, what direction does Hornblower head?
3. What is Llanza?
(a) A capital city.
(b) A ship-of-the-line.
(c) A fortress.
(d) A river.
4. In Chapter 5, what worries Hornblower about his personal finances?
(a) He recently lost his investments.
(b) He has late bills.
(c) He is poor.
(d) He used his savings to stock the Sutherland.
5. In Chapter 10, what does Hornblower order to be put in the lifeboats?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Hornblower give for turning down the dinner invitation after dropping off the Indiamen convoy?
2. How does Hornblower describe his transition from land to sea in Chapter 5?
3. Why does Hornblower denounce his crew after the French lugger attack?
4. How do the French luggers attack the Sutherland?
5. What is Hornblower's main concern about working on the Sutherland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hornblower react after the French lugger attack, and why?
2. What happens when the two French luggers come upon the Sutherland?
3. What role does Bush play in the capture of the Spanish fortress?
4. How does Hornblower get to the Spanish fortress?
5. What is Leighton's squadron?
6. What does Hornblower do when he is accused of breaking the law in Chapter 8?
7. What makes Hornblower nervous about his dinner with the Leightons in Chapter 3?
8. What does Hornblower assume about the French brig's flag that says "MV"?
9. What things does Hornblower do to increase the size of the Sutherland's crew?
10. What is Hornblower's opinion of Bolton?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)