|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hornblower pay for his personal provisions to be used while on the Sutherland?
(a) He uses all of his savings.
(b) He pawns a sword.
(c) He sells a medal.
(d) He takes out a loan.
2. How many guns are on the Sutherland?
3. What is Hornblower's concern about the stores on the Sutherland?
(a) Getting enough of them.
(b) Keeping them fresh.
(c) Having someone take inventory.
(d) Hiding his ration.
4. What does Hornblower want to control aboard the Sutherland?
5. After leaving the convoy of Indiamen, what direction does Hornblower head?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Sutherland crew respond after the French lugger attack?
2. In Chapter 5, how many of Hornblower's crew are new?
3. During their first dinner together, what does Bolton decide one of the ships-of-line should do?
4. When do the two French luggers appear?
5. What does Hornblower have made after the French brig is captured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Bush play in the capture of the Spanish fortress?
2. What things does Hornblower do to increase the size of the Sutherland's crew?
3. What is Leighton's squadron?
4. What is Hornblower's relationship with Barbara Leighton at the beginning of this novel?
5. What does Hornblower capture from the Spanish fortress?
6. What does Hornblower do with his favorite sword in Chapter 5?
7. What is Hornblower offered as a reward for his work helping the Indianmen ships arrive safely?
8. How does Hornblower react after the French lugger attack, and why?
9. How are the new crew treated aboard the Sutherland?
10. What does Hornblower assume about the French brig's flag that says "MV"?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)