|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hornblower meet Lady Barbara Leighton?
(a) He works for her husband.
(b) He saves her dog.
(c) She is friends with his wife.
(d) He gives her a ride home.
2. Who stays on the lower decks of the Sutherland?
(a) Crew members.
3. What is Hornblower offered for his services, escorting the Indiamen?
(a) A fancy dinner.
(b) An award.
(c) A better title.
(d) A bag of money.
4. In Chapter 6, why is Hornblower in a foul mood?
(a) Because a merchant ship hit the Sutherland.
(b) Because he is seasick.
(c) Because the crew is seasick.
(d) Because he hates the merchant ships.
5. Who else eats with Hornblower at the Leightons?
(a) The Boltons.
(b) No one else.
(c) The Admirals.
(d) The Bushes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What signal does the French brig raise on its flags?
2. What is weather like as the Sutherland escorts the Indiamen?
3. After leaving the convoy of Indiamen, what direction does Hornblower head?
4. Why does Leighton toast Hornblower during their dinner together?
5. What bothers Hornblower the most about leaving Maria to work on the Sutherland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hornblower ready the Sutherland for sea?
2. What does the Sutherland look like?
3. What worries from home does Hornblower take with him onto the Sutherland?
4. What is Hornblower's opinion of Bolton?
5. What role does Bush play in the capture of the Spanish fortress?
6. What is Hornblower's first impression of the Boltons?
7. What is Leighton's squadron?
8. In Chapter 5, what does the green crew do to upset Hornblower?
9. What happens when Maria brings up Barbara during her walk home with Hornblower in Chapter 4?
10. Why does Hornblower have a difficult time falling asleep in Chapter 4?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)