|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, how many prizes does Hornblower capture in a 24-hour period?
2. Why does Hornblower feel that the Pluto isn't reliable?
(a) The ship is too small.
(b) The captain is never around.
(c) There aren't enough crew.
(d) The ship is too heavy.
3. Who throws a line out to the Pluto in Chapter 16?
4. Why is saving the Pluto difficult to do in Chapter 16?
(a) The boat is completely covered with water.
(b) The boat is close to the shore.
(c) The boat is too far away.
(d) The boat is on fire.
5. Why does Villena say his horse died?
(a) It caught a disease.
(b) It was old.
(c) He rode it until it died.
(d) He wasn't there to feed it.
6. What slows down the English's progress on land in Chapter 17?
(a) A lack of money.
(b) Spanish resistance.
(c) Poor roads.
(d) Rainy weather.
7. Why does Hornblower have his men shoot the baggage animals in Chapter 14?
(a) He doesn't like animals.
(b) He read that they were important.
(c) He was angry at the Italians.
(d) He wanted to test his crew.
8. Why does Leighton accuse Hornblower of disloyalty in Chapter 17?
(a) For his turning down the leadership role.
(b) For making fun of him.
(c) For his relationship with Barbara.
(d) For doubting the mission.
9. What does Hornblower tell the crew on the French coaster to do when he takes it over?
(a) Hand over their valuables.
(b) Get in boats and row to shore.
(c) Show them how to get to the capital.
(d) Jump in the water and swim.
10. What does Claros do with his Spanish infantry when the French march from their strongpoint in Chapter 18?
(a) He retreats.
(b) He marches west.
(c) He shoots cannons.
(d) He tells Hornblower to go first.
11. How does Hornblower's crew ensure that the towing hawser is strong enough in Chapter 16?
(a) The way they throw the ropes.
(b) The way they fasten it to the boats.
(c) The way they wrap the ropes around the mast.
(d) The way they weave the ropes.
12. What rank does Villena have?
13. How do Hornblower and his volunteers reach the French coaster?
(a) They take a canoe.
(b) They use a life boat.
(c) They walk.
(d) They swim.
14. What is the terrain like behind the road the Italian army is marching on in Chapter 14?
15. How does Hornblower ensure that the Pluto doesn't collide with the Sutherland?
(a) He guages the wind.
(b) He makes the Sutherland move faster.
(c) He cuts the rope between the ships.
(d) He signals to the Pluto.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leighton react to news of the face-off with the French in Chapter 18?
2. Why does Leighton want Hornblower to lead his forces in Chapter 17?
3. Why does Hornblower know what road Pino's army will take?
4. What is the first thing Hornblower does when the Sutherland returns to the rendezvous point in Chapter 15?
5. What cuts Hornblower's visit with Leighton short in Chapter 15?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)