|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Hornblower and his volunteers reach the French coaster?
(a) They swim.
(b) They walk.
(c) They use a life boat.
(d) They take a canoe.
2. In Chapter 18, what does Claros demand for the Spanish army?
(a) Gold coins.
(c) A place to sleep.
3. After seeing the larger coaster, how many volunteers does Hornblower decide to call on?
4. What does Hornblower tell the crew on the French coaster to do when he takes it over?
(a) Jump in the water and swim.
(b) Show them how to get to the capital.
(c) Hand over their valuables.
(d) Get in boats and row to shore.
5. In Chapter 18, who does Hornblower retreat with?
6. Why does Hornblower have his men shoot the baggage animals in Chapter 14?
(a) He was angry at the Italians.
(b) He wanted to test his crew.
(c) He doesn't like animals.
(d) He read that they were important.
7. What rank does Villena have?
8. Why does Hornblower feel that the Pluto isn't reliable?
(a) The captain is never around.
(b) The ship is too small.
(c) The ship is too heavy.
(d) There aren't enough crew.
9. Why does Hornblower point the Sutherland southwest in Chapter 13?
(a) To meet up with the rest of his crew.
(b) To take another French shoreline.
(c) To visit Spain again.
(d) To honor his lost crew.
10. What is the first thing Hornblower does when the Sutherland returns to the rendezvous point in Chapter 15?
(a) Go to sleep.
(b) Fill out reports.
(c) Have a celebratory dinner.
(d) Meet with his crew.
11. What is the terrain like behind the road the Italian army is marching on in Chapter 14?
12. What gets burned in Chapter 11?
(a) A coaster.
(b) A ship-of-the-line.
(c) A battleship.
(d) A fortress.
13. What draft animals are used in Chapter 18 to help the English?
(a) English draft animals.
(b) Spanish draft animals.
(c) German draft animals.
(d) French draft animals.
14. Why can the Sutherland get very close to the marching Italian army in Chapter 14?
(a) A canal follows the road the army is on.
(b) The Sutherland can't get close to the army.
(c) They are hidden by the land.
(d) The ship is small enough to fit close.
15. How does Leighton describe Hornblower's estimate of Italian casualties?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hornblower aim the round shot at the Italian army?
2. Why does the Italian army wave their hats at the Sutherland?
3. Why does Hornblower decide to pass the rendezvous point at the dead of night in Chapter 13?
4. What does Villena have in Chapter 13 that helps Hornblower plan his next move?
5. What does Hornblower decide to attack instead of the French shore?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)