|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claros do with his Spanish infantry when the French march from their strongpoint in Chapter 18?
(a) He retreats.
(b) He shoots cannons.
(c) He marches west.
(d) He tells Hornblower to go first.
2. What does Hornblower have Major Laird lead in Chapter 18?
(a) The Spanish.
(b) The English army.
(c) The air force.
(d) The marine forces.
3. In Chapter 18, who says: "Twarn't Horny's fault"?
4. After seeing the larger coaster, how many volunteers does Hornblower decide to call on?
5. In Chapter 17, who does Leighton decide to enter into a joint operation with?
(a) Spanish loyalists.
(b) French loyalists.
(c) Spanish revolutionaries.
(d) French revolutionaries.
6. How far is Port Vendres, France from the Spanish fortress?
(a) About 15 miles.
(b) About 20 miles.
(c) About 5 miles.
(d) About 10 miles.
7. In Chapter 13, who are the Italians allied with?
(a) No one.
8. Why does Hornblower turn the Sutherland around after the attack on the Italian army?
(a) To take any prizes left over.
(b) To attack the survivors.
(c) Because they can't keep going straight.
(d) Because they get lost.
9. What draft animals are used in Chapter 18 to help the English?
(a) Spanish draft animals.
(b) English draft animals.
(c) German draft animals.
(d) French draft animals.
10. At the end of Chapter 12, what does Hornblower say the French will have to do?
(b) Take out a loan.
(c) Protect their coast.
(d) Build a new boat.
11. Why can the Sutherland get very close to the marching Italian army in Chapter 14?
(a) The ship is small enough to fit close.
(b) The Sutherland can't get close to the army.
(c) They are hidden by the land.
(d) A canal follows the road the army is on.
12. How does Leighton describe Hornblower's estimate of Italian casualties?
13. Why does Hornblower lead the initial attack on the French battery?
(a) To show his power.
(b) To force more crew members.
(c) To capture the battery.
(d) To cause confusion.
14. What cuts Hornblower's visit with Leighton short in Chapter 15?
(a) Leighton's mood.
(b) Hornblower's health.
(d) The weather.
15. Where does Hornblower see the large coaster in Chapter 12?
(a) Docked on the French shore.
(b) Open sea.
(c) Blocking the canal.
(d) A protected waterway.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Hornblower and his volunteers reach the French coaster?
2. Why does Hornblower know what road Pino's army will take?
3. Where does Hornblower aim the grapeshot at the Italian army?
4. How effective is the Italian army's return shot to the Sutherland?
5. What rank does Villena have?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)