|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 18, who does Hornblower retreat with?
2. What is the first thing Hornblower does when the Sutherland returns to the rendezvous point in Chapter 15?
(a) Meet with his crew.
(b) Have a celebratory dinner.
(c) Go to sleep.
(d) Fill out reports.
3. In Chapter 18, who says: "Twarn't Horny's fault"?
4. Who is the Spanish commanding officer?
(a) Colonel Rovira.
(b) Colonel Ferriero.
(c) Colonel Valdez.
(d) Colonel Juan Claros.
5. Why can the Sutherland get very close to the marching Italian army in Chapter 14?
(a) The ship is small enough to fit close.
(b) A canal follows the road the army is on.
(c) They are hidden by the land.
(d) The Sutherland can't get close to the army.
6. What weapon does Hornblower use against the French sailors in Chapter 11?
(a) A gun.
(b) A sword.
(c) A cannon.
(d) His bare hands.
7. How many men does Hornblower take with him for the attack on Port Vendres, France?
8. What do Hornblower and his men do when they are aboard the French coaster?
(a) They start fires.
(b) They take hostages.
(c) They sink it.
(d) They take the fixtures.
9. Why does Leighton want Hornblower to lead his forces in Chapter 17?
(a) Because he owes him.
(b) Because of his previous successes.
(c) Because no one else wants to.
(d) Because he speaks Spanish.
10. What gets burned in Chapter 11?
(a) A ship-of-the-line.
(b) A coaster.
(c) A battleship.
(d) A fortress.
11. Why does the Pluto nearly collide with the Sutherland in Chapter 16?
(a) The weather is bad.
(b) It is windy.
(c) The Sutherland is out of control.
(d) The captain of the Pluto is angry.
12. Why does Hornblower decide to pass the rendezvous point at the dead of night in Chapter 13?
(a) To confuse his crew.
(b) To head back to the French coaster.
(c) To see if he can find it in the dark.
(d) To miss the other ships.
13. Where does Hornblower aim the grapeshot at the Italian army?
(a) The artillery.
(b) The infantry.
(d) The wagons.
14. What does Claros tell Hornblower about the lack of help from the Spanish in Chapter 18?
(a) No messengers were sent to them.
(b) They changed their minds.
(c) The weather was too bad.
(d) The English told them to stay back.
15. Which part of Hornblower's crew is the last to retreat in Chapter 18?
(a) The Spanish.
(b) Hornblower himself.
(c) The marines.
(d) The navy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leighton feel about Hornblower's actions against the Italian army?
2. What does Hornblower tell the crew on the French coaster to do when he takes it over?
3. How does Leighton react to news of the face-off with the French in Chapter 18?
4. Why does Hornblower have his men shoot the baggage animals in Chapter 14?
5. In Chapter 17, who does Leighton decide to enter into a joint operation with?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)