|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Leighton want Hornblower to lead his forces in Chapter 17?
(a) Because he speaks Spanish.
(b) Because no one else wants to.
(c) Because of his previous successes.
(d) Because he owes him.
2. What does Hornblower decide to attack instead of the French shore?
(a) A Spanish ship.
(b) A canal.
(c) A series of merchant ships.
(d) A castle.
3. What happens to Pluto during the storm in Chapter 15?
(a) The lower levels flood.
(b) It loses its masts.
(c) It sinks.
(d) It catches fire.
4. What slows down the English's progress on land in Chapter 17?
(a) Poor roads.
(b) Rainy weather.
(c) Spanish resistance.
(d) A lack of money.
5. Where does Hornblower aim the grapeshot at the Italian army?
(a) The wagons.
(b) The infantry.
(c) The artillery.
6. How does Leighton describe Hornblower's estimate of Italian casualties?
7. What does Hornblower tell the crew on the French coaster to do when he takes it over?
(a) Get in boats and row to shore.
(b) Show them how to get to the capital.
(c) Hand over their valuables.
(d) Jump in the water and swim.
8. Why does Villena say his horse died?
(a) He rode it until it died.
(b) It was old.
(c) It caught a disease.
(d) He wasn't there to feed it.
9. What rank does Villena have?
10. Which part of Hornblower's crew is the last to retreat in Chapter 18?
(a) The navy.
(b) Hornblower himself.
(c) The marines.
(d) The Spanish.
11. Why does Hornblower know what road Pino's army will take?
(a) A gypsy fortune teller predicts it.
(b) Villena tells him.
(c) There is only one road.
(d) He found a secret letter.
12. What weapon does Hornblower use against the French sailors in Chapter 11?
(a) A sword.
(b) A cannon.
(c) A gun.
(d) His bare hands.
13. Why does Hornblower turn the Sutherland around after the attack on the Italian army?
(a) Because they get lost.
(b) To take any prizes left over.
(c) Because they can't keep going straight.
(d) To attack the survivors.
14. What does Hornblower order that successfully guides the Pluto to safety?
(a) A move-and-go.
(b) A tack-in-succession.
(c) A slow-and-steady.
(d) A wed-in-water.
15. How many quarterdeck cannonades does Hornblower use against the Italian army?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Hornblower and his men do when they are aboard the French coaster?
2. What is the first thing Hornblower does when the Sutherland returns to the rendezvous point in Chapter 15?
3. What occupation does Villena resist?
4. In Chapter 17, what worries Hornblower about the Spanish?
5. Where does Hornblower aim the round shot at the Italian army?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)