|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the convoy of Indiamen, what direction does Hornblower head?
2. How many more crew members are on the Sutherland than Hornblower's previous ship?
(a) Ten more men.
(b) Two times.
(c) About one hundred more men.
(d) Three times.
3. What is weather like as the Sutherland escorts the Indiamen?
4. What direction does the Sutherland lead the Indiamen?
5. Why does the French brig not immediately try to escape the Sutherland?
(a) They think it's a French ship.
(b) They don't realize they are being chased.
(c) They know the Sutherland is too fast.
(d) They know Hornblower will win.
6. What does Hornblower prevent Bush from doing when the Sutherland heads for the sea?
(a) Clearing the harbor.
(b) Choosing the best path.
(c) Steering the ship.
(d) Yelling at the new crew.
7. What does Hornblower most appreciate about the Sutherland?
(a) Its crew.
(b) Its history.
(c) Its length.
(d) Its large stern-galley.
8. In Chapter 6, why is Hornblower in a foul mood?
(a) Because a merchant ship hit the Sutherland.
(b) Because he hates the merchant ships.
(c) Because he is seasick.
(d) Because the crew is seasick.
9. Before the Sutherland takes to the sea, what does Hornblower tell Bush to do?
(a) Work harder.
(b) Say goodbye to his family.
(c) Find a new job.
(d) Take a break.
10. How does Maria describe Barbara after their dinner together?
(c) She won't talk about her.
11. In Chapter 5, how does Hornblower describe the way he readied the Sutherland?
(a) He thinks he did well enough.
(b) He criticizes himself.
(c) He is worried what others will think.
(d) He feels proud.
12. What role does Hornblower play on the HMS Sutherland?
13. How does Hornblower describe his transition from land to sea in Chapter 5?
(a) It was ridiculous.
(b) It was difficult.
(c) It was easy.
(d) It was humorous.
14. Who does Bolton call "Sir Mucho Pomposo"?
15. How does Hornblower describe the way he dresses while dining with the Leightons?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hornblower's concern about the stores on the Sutherland?
2. Why is the Sutherland able to escape the French luggers?
3. Out of all the topics Maria discussed with Barbara at dinner, which does Hornblower find annoying?
4. What does the Sutherland's crew do on their day waiting in Chapter 9?
5. How is Hornblower able to sail so close to the Spanish and French shore in Chapter 10?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)