|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hornblower meet Lady Barbara Leighton?
(a) She is friends with his wife.
(b) He works for her husband.
(c) He saves her dog.
(d) He gives her a ride home.
2. In Chapter 5, how does Hornblower describe the way he readied the Sutherland?
(a) He criticizes himself.
(b) He is worried what others will think.
(c) He thinks he did well enough.
(d) He feels proud.
3. In Chapter 6, why is Hornblower in a foul mood?
(a) Because a merchant ship hit the Sutherland.
(b) Because the crew is seasick.
(c) Because he is seasick.
(d) Because he hates the merchant ships.
4. How do the French luggers attack the Sutherland?
(a) With cannons.
(b) With guns.
(c) With fire.
(d) They don't attack.
5. What does Hornblower have made after the French brig is captured?
(a) A medal.
(b) A jacket.
(c) A dinner.
(d) A flag.
6. Where does Hornblower say he finds the most comfort in Chapter 5?
(a) At home with Maria.
(b) In France.
(c) The sea.
(d) Being under the decks.
7. Why do criminals join the Royal Navy?
(a) To avoid going to prison.
(b) To run from the police.
(c) To explain the criminal mind to others.
(d) To repent for their crimes.
8. How many men from the Indiamen ships become part of the Sutherland's crew?
9. During their first dinner together, what does Bolton decide one of the ships-of-line should do?
(a) Look for prizes.
(b) Be redone.
(c) Return to England.
(d) Take tourists for a ride.
10. When the Sutherland sets out to sea, what other ships accompany it?
(a) Fishing boats.
(b) Battle ships.
(c) Merchant ships.
11. Before the Sutherland takes to the sea, what does Hornblower tell Bush to do?
(a) Take a break.
(b) Say goodbye to his family.
(c) Find a new job.
(d) Work harder.
12. How many men total does Hornblower desire on his ship in Chapter 5?
13. Out of all the topics Maria discussed with Barbara at dinner, which does Hornblower find annoying?
(a) Hornblower's career.
(b) Maria's pregnancy.
(c) The war.
(d) Barbara's marriage.
14. Why are the French luggers a threat to the Sutherland?
(a) They run into the Sutherland head-on.
(b) They follow on either side.
(c) They move faster.
(d) They have larger guns.
15. In Chapter 5, how many of Hornblower's crew are new?
Short Answer Questions
1. What signal does the French brig raise on its flags?
2. Why does Hornblower turn down the invitation for dinner after dropping off the Indiamen convoy?
3. Why does the French brig not immediately try to escape the Sutherland?
4. How does Hornblower show his pleasure with the crew after the lugger attack?
5. How does Hornblower feel about the green crew's first attempt to handle the Sutherland?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)