|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the Sutherland after it was captured?
(a) It was redesigned.
(b) It was burned.
(c) It was stripped of its weapons.
(d) It was put on display.
2. When do the two French luggers appear?
(a) A day after they leave Brest.
(b) Before they reach Brest.
(c) When they are in Brest.
(d) After they pass Brest.
3. What does Hornblower have made after the French brig is captured?
(a) A jacket.
(b) A medal.
(c) A flag.
(d) A dinner.
4. How many more crew members are on the Sutherland than Hornblower's previous ship?
(a) Ten more men.
(b) Two times.
(c) About one hundred more men.
(d) Three times.
5. What is Hornblower offered for his services, escorting the Indiamen?
(a) A bag of money.
(b) An award.
(c) A fancy dinner.
(d) A better title.
6. When the Sutherland sets out to sea, what other ships accompany it?
(a) Merchant ships.
(b) Battle ships.
(d) Fishing boats.
7. What does Hornblower do while sailing along the Spanish coast?
(a) Have several victories.
(b) Get lost.
(c) Lose a few crew members.
(d) Sell off some of his supplies.
8. In Chapter 5, how does Hornblower describe the way he readied the Sutherland?
(a) He feels proud.
(b) He is worried what others will think.
(c) He criticizes himself.
(d) He thinks he did well enough.
9. What has the Sutherland done to the other ships in her squadron the day they set for the sea?
(a) She got them lost.
(b) She held up their progress.
(c) She kept them on track.
(d) She bumped into a few of them.
10. What bothers Hornblower the most about leaving Maria to work on the Sutherland?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She doesn't have much money.
(c) She might find out about him and Barbara.
(d) She gets bored easily.
11. After setting out to sea, what happens to several of the new crew members on the Sutherland?
(a) They work extra hard.
(b) They become seasick.
(c) They jump overboard.
(d) They become homesick.
12. In Chapter 10, what does Hornblower order to be put in the lifeboats?
13. What does Hornblower take when he captures the French brig?
(a) A prize crew.
(b) The flags.
(d) A bag of coins.
14. What part of the Sutherland is damaged when the luggers surround it?
(a) The side.
(b) The mast.
(c) Nothing is damaged.
(d) The window.
15. How do Hornblower and Maria get home after their dinner at the Leightons'?
(a) They take a taxi.
(b) They walk.
(c) Leighton lets them borrow a carriage.
(d) They ride horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the Indianmen crew volunteer to join the Sutherland?
2. Why does the French brig not immediately try to escape the Sutherland?
3. How does the Sutherland crew respond after the French lugger attack?
4. Why do criminals join the Royal Navy?
5. Why is the Sutherland able to escape the French luggers?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)