|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What successful cruise does Captain Horatio Hornblower come off of at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) HMS Southfield.
(b) HMS Leighton.
(c) HMS Lydia.
(d) HMS Sutherland.
2. Who does Bolton casually disregard while having dinner with Hornblower?
3. What part of the lugger is damaged when they surround the Sutherland?
(a) The window.
(b) The side.
(c) Nothing is damaged.
(d) The mast.
4. Why does Leighton toast Hornblower during their dinner together?
(a) For him to have healthy children.
(b) For success on the seas.
(c) For him to live a long life.
(d) For riches.
5. In Chapter 5, what worries Hornblower about his personal finances?
(a) He used his savings to stock the Sutherland.
(b) He has late bills.
(c) He recently lost his investments.
(d) He is poor.
6. After setting out to sea, what happens to several of the new crew members on the Sutherland?
(a) They become seasick.
(b) They work extra hard.
(c) They become homesick.
(d) They jump overboard.
7. What happened to the Sutherland after it was captured?
(a) It was put on display.
(b) It was redesigned.
(c) It was stripped of its weapons.
(d) It was burned.
8. In Chapter 6, why is Hornblower in a foul mood?
(a) Because the crew is seasick.
(b) Because a merchant ship hit the Sutherland.
(c) Because he hates the merchant ships.
(d) Because he is seasick.
9. What does Hornblower take when he captures the French brig?
(a) The flags.
(b) A prize crew.
(d) A bag of coins.
10. How do Hornblower and Maria get home after their dinner at the Leightons'?
(a) They take a taxi.
(b) Leighton lets them borrow a carriage.
(c) They ride horses.
(d) They walk.
11. Who leads the attack on the Spanish in Chapter 10?
12. What does Hornblower do while sailing along the Spanish coast?
(a) Lose a few crew members.
(b) Have several victories.
(c) Get lost.
(d) Sell off some of his supplies.
13. How does Hornblower meet Lady Barbara Leighton?
(a) He saves her dog.
(b) He works for her husband.
(c) He gives her a ride home.
(d) She is friends with his wife.
14. What direction does the Sutherland lead the Indiamen?
15. Why can't Hornblower respond to the French brig flags correctly?
(a) He wants to scare the French away.
(b) No one saw the French flags.
(c) He doesn't have the right flags.
(d) He doesn't know the code.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the French brig not immediately try to escape the Sutherland?
2. How many of the Indianmen crew volunteer to join the Sutherland?
3. Who built the Sutherland?
4. How many men from the Indiamen ships become part of the Sutherland's crew?
5. Before the Sutherland takes to the sea, what does Hornblower tell Bush to do?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)