|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What angers Hornblower in Chapter 5 about the Sutherland?
(a) The size of the boat.
(b) The worthless crew.
(c) The terrible food.
(d) The delays.
2. What is Llanza?
(a) A fortress.
(b) A ship-of-the-line.
(c) A river.
(d) A capital city.
3. Who else eats with Hornblower at the Leightons?
(a) No one else.
(b) The Bushes.
(c) The Boltons.
(d) The Admirals.
4. In Chapter 5, how does Hornblower describe the way he readied the Sutherland?
(a) He is worried what others will think.
(b) He criticizes himself.
(c) He thinks he did well enough.
(d) He feels proud.
5. How does Hornblower meet Lady Barbara Leighton?
(a) He saves her dog.
(b) She is friends with his wife.
(c) He gives her a ride home.
(d) He works for her husband.
6. What does Hornblower want to control aboard the Sutherland?
7. What is Hornblower offered for his services, escorting the Indiamen?
(a) A bag of money.
(b) A better title.
(c) An award.
(d) A fancy dinner.
8. What successful cruise does Captain Horatio Hornblower come off of at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) HMS Lydia.
(b) HMS Leighton.
(c) HMS Southfield.
(d) HMS Sutherland.
9. Why does Sutherland post fliers in Chapter 1?
(a) To recruit crew members.
(b) To find a missing dog.
(c) To undermine the King.
(d) To get help escaping the French.
10. Who is England at war with during the opening of this novel?
11. How many men total does Hornblower desire on his ship in Chapter 5?
12. When the Sutherland sets out to sea, what other ships accompany it?
(a) Merchant ships.
(b) Fishing boats.
(d) Battle ships.
13. In Chapter 5, what type of crew member does Hornblower want the most of?
14. How does the green crew handle the Sutherland when it first leaves port?
(a) They move moderately ahead.
(b) They forget it's their turn to steer.
(c) They move slowly.
(d) They go too quickly.
15. How does Hornblower feel toward his wife, Maria?
(d) In love.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hornblower show his pleasure with the crew after the lugger attack?
2. What is Hornblower's main concern about working on the Sutherland?
3. What reason does Hornblower give for turning down the dinner invitation after dropping off the Indiamen convoy?
4. Who does Bolton casually disregard while having dinner with Hornblower?
5. How does the Sutherland crew respond after the French lugger attack?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)