|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hornblower meet Lady Barbara Leighton?
(a) He saves her dog.
(b) He works for her husband.
(c) He gives her a ride home.
(d) She is friends with his wife.
2. What is Hornblower's concern about the stores on the Sutherland?
(a) Keeping them fresh.
(b) Hiding his ration.
(c) Getting enough of them.
(d) Having someone take inventory.
3. When do the two French luggers appear?
(a) After they pass Brest.
(b) Before they reach Brest.
(c) A day after they leave Brest.
(d) When they are in Brest.
4. How does Hornblower feel as he nears the place where he will drop off the Indiamen?
5. In Chapter 10, when do the Spanish realize they have been tricked?
(a) When the Sutherland leaves.
(b) When the Sutherland is still out in open sea.
(c) When the Sutherland pulls into port.
(d) When the Sutherland's men are on their shore.
6. What does Hornblower discuss with Bolton during their first dinner together?
(a) Leaving the military.
(b) Their personal lives.
(c) Running for politics.
(d) Military strategy.
7. How do the French luggers attack the Sutherland?
(a) With cannons.
(b) They don't attack.
(c) With fire.
(d) With guns.
8. Why do criminals join the Royal Navy?
(a) To repent for their crimes.
(b) To avoid going to prison.
(c) To run from the police.
(d) To explain the criminal mind to others.
9. What role does Hornblower play on the HMS Sutherland?
10. On the Sutherland, what do the new hands do before going below the decks?
(a) Get knighted.
(c) Show their paperwork.
(d) Say a prayer.
11. How many men from the Indiamen ships become part of the Sutherland's crew?
12. Who does Bolton call "Sir Mucho Pomposo"?
13. How many more crew members are on the Sutherland than Hornblower's previous ship?
(a) Two times.
(b) About one hundred more men.
(c) Three times.
(d) Ten more men.
14. Why does Hornblower denounce his crew after the French lugger attack?
(a) Because the crew shouldn't gloat.
(b) Because the French will come back.
(c) Because the French ships were puny.
(d) Because the crew moved too slowly.
15. What has the Sutherland done to the other ships in her squadron the day they set for the sea?
(a) She kept them on track.
(b) She bumped into a few of them.
(c) She got them lost.
(d) She held up their progress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Leighton toast Hornblower during their dinner together?
2. What part of the lugger is damaged when they surround the Sutherland?
3. How does Hornblower describe his transition from land to sea in Chapter 5?
4. Why does Hornblower turn down the invitation for dinner after dropping off the Indiamen convoy?
5. In Chapter 6, why is Hornblower in a foul mood?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)