|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hornblower's crew change after the French lugger attack?
(a) They are more sad.
(b) They work faster.
(c) They are unchanged.
(d) They talk more.
2. What is weather like as the Sutherland escorts the Indiamen?
3. How does Hornblower describe the lower decks of the Sutherland?
4. Why does Hornblower stumble over his words during dinner at the Leightons'?
(a) He has had too much to drink.
(b) He is nervous about his new job.
(c) He is afraid of losing the Sutherland.
(d) He likes Barbara.
5. What has the Sutherland done to the other ships in her squadron the day they set for the sea?
(a) She held up their progress.
(b) She bumped into a few of them.
(c) She got them lost.
(d) She kept them on track.
6. How do the French luggers attack the Sutherland?
(a) With cannons.
(b) They don't attack.
(c) With guns.
(d) With fire.
7. What angers Hornblower in Chapter 5 about the Sutherland?
(a) The worthless crew.
(b) The terrible food.
(c) The size of the boat.
(d) The delays.
8. What reason does Hornblower give for turning down the dinner invitation after dropping off the Indiamen convoy?
(a) He already ate.
(b) He isn't allowed to dine there.
(c) The weather is going to get bad.
(d) He must immediately depart.
9. What successful cruise does Captain Horatio Hornblower come off of at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) HMS Southfield.
(b) HMS Leighton.
(c) HMS Sutherland.
(d) HMS Lydia.
10. How does Hornblower pay for his personal provisions to be used while on the Sutherland?
(a) He sells a medal.
(b) He uses all of his savings.
(c) He pawns a sword.
(d) He takes out a loan.
11. Before the Sutherland takes to the sea, what does Hornblower tell Bush to do?
(a) Take a break.
(b) Find a new job.
(c) Work harder.
(d) Say goodbye to his family.
12. What is Hornblower's main concern about working on the Sutherland?
(a) Having enough crew.
(b) Making enough money.
(c) Leaving his wife.
(d) Brining enough food.
13. In Chapter 6, why is Hornblower in a foul mood?
(a) Because he hates the merchant ships.
(b) Because a merchant ship hit the Sutherland.
(c) Because he is seasick.
(d) Because the crew is seasick.
14. What is Hornblower offered for his services, escorting the Indiamen?
(a) A bag of money.
(b) A better title.
(c) A fancy dinner.
(d) An award.
15. Why does the French brig not immediately try to escape the Sutherland?
(a) They know Hornblower will win.
(b) They know the Sutherland is too fast.
(c) They think it's a French ship.
(d) They don't realize they are being chased.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower think about as he tries to fall asleep after dinner with the Leightons?
2. When the Sutherland sets out to sea, what other ships accompany it?
3. How many of the Indianmen crew volunteer to join the Sutherland?
4. What does Hornblower prevent Bush from doing when the Sutherland heads for the sea?
5. What direction does the Sutherland lead the Indiamen?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)