|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 and 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hornblower decide to pass the rendezvous point at the dead of night in Chapter 13?
(a) To miss the other ships.
(b) To see if he can find it in the dark.
(c) To head back to the French coaster.
(d) To confuse his crew.
2. What does Claros tell Hornblower about the lack of help from the Spanish in Chapter 18?
(a) No messengers were sent to them.
(b) They changed their minds.
(c) The English told them to stay back.
(d) The weather was too bad.
3. In Chapter 17, what worries Hornblower about the Spanish?
(a) That they will be too strong.
(b) That they won't win.
(c) That they won't accept help.
(d) That they will be undependable.
4. Out of all the topics Maria discussed with Barbara at dinner, which does Hornblower find annoying?
(a) Hornblower's career.
(b) Barbara's marriage.
(c) Maria's pregnancy.
(d) The war.
5. Why does Hornblower know what road Pino's army will take?
(a) There is only one road.
(b) A gypsy fortune teller predicts it.
(c) Villena tells him.
(d) He found a secret letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What draft animals are used in Chapter 18 to help the English?
2. Who is England at war with during the opening of this novel?
3. Why does Hornblower feel that the Pluto isn't reliable?
4. How do Hornblower and Maria get home after their dinner at the Leightons'?
5. What happens to Pluto during the storm in Chapter 15?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)