|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joel dies, who inherits his great wealth?
2. After his collecting exhibition, how does Alec Carrière return to the States?
3. Where did Alec Carrière find most of the items in his massive collection?
4. What does Susanna's husband do for a living?
5. What illness does Alec Carrière come down with while in the Malay Archipelago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Alec Carrière grow up, and what was his ambition in life?
2. Why does Joel often feel that his attention must be divided, between Zaga and someone else?
3. How did Wallace and Carrière meet?
4. How do the Marburg sisters cope with their father's death?
5. What parallels can be found between Carrière and his idol, Alfred Wallace?
6. What notes does Laughlin make about disease and quarantine while he is working at Grosse Isle?
7. In the opening pages of "Soroche" what does the reader learn about Zaga's character?
8. Why did Joel want to marry Zaga and how does he treat his new wife?
9. How does Laughlin's relationship with Nora change at the end of the story "Ship Fever"?
10. During the time that Adam Rowley is away, what does Laughlin spend his time discussing with Rowely's wife, Susannah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "The Marburg Sisters" Bianca and Rose have a very close bond as children, but that bond begins to deteriorate as the girls age. First, describe the girls' relationship as children and compare / contrast that to their relationship as adults. Then, choose two major events in the girls' lives and explain how these events affected their relationship? What was the state of the sisters' relationship at the end of the story? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the story "Birds with no Feet" two scientists, Carrière and Wallace, are competing for historic fame and wealth. First, describe the work that these scientists do. Then, explain which scientist achieved higher success, and why you believe they were as a successful as they were. How did this competition affect the scientists as partners and as individuals? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the story "Rare Bird" there are two differing theories about where and how swallows overwinter. First, present the two differing scientific views about the bird behavior, and then discuss at least two experiments performed to prove these theories true or false. In the end, what conclusion did the scientists come to about the bird behavior? What impact did this conclusion have? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)