|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of relationship does Grant have with Susanna?
2. What unusual animal does Alec Carrière adopt as a pet while working in the Malay Archipelago?
3. Upon returning to America, what does Alec Carrière decide to do with his life?
4. Who arranges Alec Carrière's medical care while he is ill?
5. Which of Zaga's relatives was acquatinted with Charles Darwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jemmy Button?
2. During the time that Adam Rowley is away, what does Laughlin spend his time discussing with Rowely's wife, Susannah?
3. Why does Joel often feel that his attention must be divided, between Zaga and someone else?
4. What school subject do the Marburg sisters excel in, and how does this shape their adulthood?
5. What does Zaga do with Joel's money after his death?
6. What becomes of Carrière's scientific breakthrough, and how does this end result compare to his hopes?
7. How did Wallace and Carrière meet?
8. What is the state of the passengers aboard the ships at Grosse Isle?
9. Who started the winery in "The Marburg Sisters" and who runs it at the time of the story's setting?
10. In the opening pages of "Soroche" what does the reader learn about Zaga's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The 19th-century geneticist Gregor Mendel plays a crucial role in "The Behavior of the Hawkweeds". Why might Barrett have chosen to tell that story in the voice of a 20th-century woman only peripherally connected to Mendel and his work, rather than in the voice of Mendel himself, or of a scientist directly working with Mendel's theories? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the story "Rare Bird" there are two differing theories about where and how swallows overwinter. First, present the two differing scientific views about the bird behavior, and then discuss at least two experiments performed to prove these theories true or false. In the end, what conclusion did the scientists come to about the bird behavior? What impact did this conclusion have? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the story "The Marburg Sisters" Bianca and Rose have a very close bond as children, but that bond begins to deteriorate as the girls age. First, describe the girls' relationship as children and compare / contrast that to their relationship as adults. Then, choose two major events in the girls' lives and explain how these events affected their relationship? What was the state of the sisters' relationship at the end of the story? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)