|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Rose and Harry meet?
2. What type of hospital is set up at Grosse Isle?
3. How old is Zaga when she marries Joel?
4. Where was Zaga living at the end of the story "Soroche"?
5. Where was Alec Carrière an apprentice as a young man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What notes does Laughlin make about disease and quarantine while he is working at Grosse Isle?
2. What does Zaga do with Joel's money after his death?
3. How did Wallace and Carrière meet?
4. Who is Jemmy Button?
5. What scientific breakthrough does Carrière make in the biologic world?
6. What devastating event occurs on Joel and Zaga's honeymoon?
7. Who started the winery in "The Marburg Sisters" and who runs it at the time of the story's setting?
8. During the time that Adam Rowley is away, what does Laughlin spend his time discussing with Rowely's wife, Susannah?
9. What unusual pet did Carrière keep for a short time while in the Malay Archipelago, and what happened to this unusual pet?
10. What unexpected request does Dr. George Douglas make of Laughlin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Billip children in the story "Rare Bird" were highly educated and quite wealthy. How did this upbringing affect the children into their adulthood? Which of the children could symbolically be considered the titular "Rare Bird"? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Two characters in the story "Soroche" suffered from extreme life changes due to wealth - Zaga and Jemmy Button. First, describe how Zaga and Jemmy came to wealth in adulthood and how this sudden wealth directly affected their lives. Then, describe how these life changes might symbolically be represented within the titular theme, "Soroche". Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
What initially drives Dr. Lauchlin Grant to the quarantine station on Grosse Isle? How does Lauchlin's character grow and change over the course of "Ship Fever"? How do his contacts with Nora Kynd and the other Irish emigrants alter his view of the world?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)