|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Sarah Anne's parents in the story "Rare Bird"?
2. How old was Johannes when he died?
3. In what year was Antonia born?
4. Where does Sarah Anne meet Catherine?
5. During which season of the year is the story "The Littoral Zone" set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Jonathan and Ruby's romantic statuses at the time when they met?
2. How did Richard manage to obtain a handwritten letter from his idol, Mendel?
3. How did Jonathan and Ruby end up on the island together in the story "The Littoral Zone"?
4. How did Jonathan and Ruby treat each other once they returned to the mainland?
5. What is the state of Sara Anne's life at the opening of "Rare Bird"?
6. What unique deformity was Richard born with, and how did it affect his life in adulthood?
7. How does Sara Anne's life change after Christopher becomes engaged to Juliet?
8. What were the ages of Jonathan and Ruby's children throughout the course of the story?
9. What was Tati's reaction to his supervisor's death?
10. What is Sara Anne's intelligence level for a woman of her time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Billip children in the story "Rare Bird" were highly educated and quite wealthy. How did this upbringing affect the children into their adulthood? Which of the children could symbolically be considered the titular "Rare Bird"? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Sarah Anne's life in the story "Rare Bird" is one of strict societal constraint. First, describe Sarah Anne's life when her parents were alive, and compare / contrast that to Sarah Anne's life after her parents passed away. In your opinion, what was the largest societal constraint placed on Sarah Anne as an adult. Do you think this constraint would be the same had Sarah Anne been born into modern society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
All throughout his life in the story "Birds with no Feet" scientist Carrière has been faced with many personal setbacks. First, create a timeline chronicling the setbacks that affected Carrière's career. Then, describe Carrière's reaction to these setbacks and how explain how Carrière's reaction compares / contrasts to his idol, Wallace's reactions. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)