|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the ship captained by Captain FitzRoy?
(a) The TMS Feline.
(b) The HMS Beagle.
(c) The JWE Barracuda.
(d) The SSR Canary.
2. When Alec Carrière reads Wallace's work, what does he feel?
3. Why does Grosse Isle eventually shut down?
(a) Because there are no more sick patients.
(b) Because they run out of supplies.
(c) Because all of the doctors have died.
(d) Because the city can no longer afford to fund it.
4. Which of the following sicknesses is known as "ship fever"?
(b) Chicken pox.
(c) Scarlet fever.
5. What is unique about the Paradisaea apoda specimen that Alec Carrière finds?
(a) It is a pregnant female.
(b) It is still alive.
(c) All of the answers are true.
(d) It is completely intact.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are the Marburg sisters when their mother dies?
2. What unusual animal does Alec Carrière adopt as a pet while working in the Malay Archipelago?
3. What body part is the Paradisaea apoda missing?
4. How does Joel's family feel about Zaga?
5. What war is America embroiled in when Alec Carrière returns to the U.S.?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Wallace and Carrière meet?
2. How do the Marburg sisters cope with their father's death?
3. How does Rose's life change in the wake of her father's death?
4. What parallels can be found between Carrière and his idol, Alfred Wallace?
5. What becomes of Carrière's scientific breakthrough, and how does this end result compare to his hopes?
6. Why are the Marburg sisters so wild?
7. Who started the winery in "The Marburg Sisters" and who runs it at the time of the story's setting?
8. Why is Carrière jealous of Wallace?
9. Who is Jemmy Button?
10. What is the state of Zaga's life at the end of "Soroche"?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)