|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following, terrible events occurs to Zaga on her honeymoon?
(a) She is mugged at gunpoint.
(b) She is admitted into the hospital with acute fever.
(c) She nearly drowns.
(d) She miscarries her pregnancy.
2. Where was Zaga living at the end of the story "Soroche"?
(a) In her childhood neighborhood.
(b) In Joel's massive estate.
(c) With Jemmy Button.
(d) On the streets.
3. How does Alec Carrière's pet die?
(a) From fever.
(b) From old age.
(c) It is shot.
(d) It is smashed under a Jeep's tire.
4. When Joel dies, who inherits his great wealth?
(a) Various charities.
(b) His sister.
(d) His children.
5. Where did Alec Carrière hope to sell his vast collections?
(a) To European collectors.
(b) To fellow scientists.
(c) He did not intend to sell his collection.
(d) To American museums.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what business did Joel make his wealth?
2. Why does Grosse Isle eventually shut down?
3. Which element is most important to the Marburg sisters' seance?
4. How many children does Joel have when he marries Zaga?
5. What is Alec Carrière's mood at the end of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Marburg sisters cope with their father's death?
2. How do Bianca and Rose spend their evening in August, 1980 when Bianca visits Rose's laboratory?
3. How does Rose's life change in the wake of her father's death?
4. What parallels can be found between Carrière and his idol, Alfred Wallace?
5. Where did Alec Carrière grow up, and what was his ambition in life?
6. Who is Adam Rowley?
7. What becomes of Carrière's scientific breakthrough, and how does this end result compare to his hopes?
8. What scientific breakthrough does Carrière make in the biologic world?
9. Who is Jemmy Button?
10. During the time that Adam Rowley is away, what does Laughlin spend his time discussing with Rowely's wife, Susannah?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)