|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long before Linnaeus' death is the story "The English Pupil" set?
(a) One day.
(b) One month.
(c) One hour.
(d) One week.
2. What instrument did Tati use as his attack weapon?
(a) A pair of scissors.
(b) A box cutter.
(c) A pruning knife.
(d) A farming machete.
3. At the time when Ruby meets Jonathan, how long has she been married?
(a) She is not married.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years
(d) Fifteen years.
4. How did Tati die?
(a) He drown in the bathtub.
(b) He was murdered.
(c) He had a heart attack.
(d) He was executed.
5. What does "The Littoral Zone" refer to?
(a) The horizon.
(b) Sea sickness.
(c) There is no scientific connection.
(d) The sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following names was most common among Linnaeus' students?
2. How do the couple's children feel about Jonathan and Ruby's relationship?
3. Which of the following elements did NOT add to the ambiance of the evening the first time Jonathan and Ruby made love?
4. In what year was Antonia born?
5. When he returned home after his scientific adventure, how old was Jonathan's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of relationship does Linnaeus have with his family - his wife and his children?
2. What is the emotional state of Jonathan and Ruby's relationship at the end of the story - when they are both in their fifties?
3. Who is Catherine, and what relationship does she have to Sara Anne?
4. How did Richard manage to obtain a handwritten letter from his idol, Mendel?
5. What clues does the text give as to Richard's age?
6. How does Sara Anne's life change after Christopher becomes engaged to Juliet?
7. When was Antonia born, and how did her birth fit into her family's immigration plan?
8. How did Antonia's life change in the 1970s?
9. What happened on the eighteenth night of the retreat?
10. How did Jonathan and Ruby's romantic relationship start?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)