|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what room of the house does Christopher frequently hold scientific discussions?
(a) In the study.
(b) In the bedroom.
(c) In the observatory.
(d) In the kitchen.
2. What did Tati's supervisor attempt to do when Antonia was visiting Tati at work as a child?
(a) Kidnap her.
(b) Molest her.
(c) Steal her pocket money.
(d) All of the answers are true.
3. After their marriage, where do Jonathan and Ruby live?
(a) In Mari.
(b) In Palmyra.
(c) In Ba'al.
(d) In Ruda.
4. What did Carl Linnaeus do for a living before he retired?
(a) All of the answers are true.
(b) He was a doctor.
(c) He was a scientist.
(d) He was a teacher.
5. At the time of the story, which of the following is NOT true about Carl Linnaeus?
(a) He is senile.
(b) He is crippled.
(c) He is overweight.
(d) He is old.
6. Where do most scientists at the time believe that swallows spend their winters?
(a) In caves.
(b) Down South.
(d) High in the treetops.
7. At the time when Ruby meets Jonathan, how long has she been married?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Five years
(d) She is not married.
8. On the night when they first made love, what insect did Jonathan and Ruby stay up late discussing?
(a) Praying mantises.
9. Who does Antonia propose to have an illicit marital affair with?
(a) Her next-door neighbor.
(b) One of her husband's students.
(c) One of the clerics at her church.
(d) Her best friend's husband.
10. How old is Sarah Anne Billop at the opening of the story "Rare Bird"?
11. What is Richard's prized possession?
(a) A battered science book.
(b) A rusted silver spoon.
(c) A photograph of his parents.
(d) A handwritten letter.
12. How do Catherine and Sarah Anne regularly spend their time together?
(a) Cooking and eating meals.
(b) Drinking wine and gossiping.
(c) Reading books and writing letters.
(d) Performing scientific experiments
13. What causes Antonia's deep depression as an adult?
(a) Her husband's infidelity.
(b) Her children moving away.
(c) Her struggle to find work.
(d) Her inability to acculturate in America.
14. How old was Johannes when he died?
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) Two years old.
(d) Twenty-two years old.
15. When Linnaeus reaches his estate, what is the one thing he wished he had to complete the ambiance in the room?
(a) A dog.
(b) A good book.
(c) A fire.
(d) A pipe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sarah Anne's intelligence compare to her brother's?
2. How did Tati die?
3. Who was the only relative Antonia grew up with?
4. When he returned home after his scientific adventure, how old was Jonathan's daughter?
5. Who drove Linnaeus to his favorite estate on the day in which the story is set?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)