|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rose doing now?
2. What does Barton give Alec?
3. Mrs. Pearce and Sarah Anne Billopp agree on what during their conversation?
4. What news do Rose and Bianca have from their father?
5. What is Wallace doing while Alec is sweating through the ague and sending samples to Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rose's and Bianca's youth.
2. What does Dr. Sepulveda do for Zaga when she is sick?
3. What does Alec Carriere have in the hold when "Birds with No Feet" begins?
4. What is the only case where Alec precedes Wallace?
5. What happens on the night when Rose convinces Bianca to camp out at the lab with her?
6. What happeneds when Rose and Bianca rush to Hammondsport to see their father before he dies?
7. How is the relationship between Christopher and Sarah Anne Billopp?
8. What does Zaga find in Joel's closet?
9. What happens to Sarah Anne and Catherine after they perform their experiment?
10. How do Zaga's stepchildren react when Zaga is sick in Chile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alec and Wallace are alter egos in "Birds with No Feet," but do other characters seem like opposite sides of the same personality? With characters within one story, or characters from different stories, discuss the double, or alter, ego in Andrea Barrett's stories. Cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How are plants and animals described in the stories? What roles do they play in the drama being played out among the characters? Using examples from three of the stories, describe how plants and animals figure in Barrett's book.
Essay Topic 3
Characters devote a great deal of attention to their studies in these stories. What exactly do they hope to gain? What satisfaction do they get from the work? Cite examples from three stories.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)