|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Zaga sell the house in Soroche?
2. Which sister drops out of school, and when?
3. When is "Birds with No Feet" set?
4. What answer did Sarah Anne finally get from the person to whom she had written during the dinner party?
5. What news do Rose and Bianca have from their father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mrs. Pearce asks Sarah Anne what she is looking at when they meet at the bridge?
2. How is the relationship between Christopher and Sarah Anne Billopp?
3. What happens to Sarah Anne and Catherine after they perform their experiment?
4. What does Dr. Sepulveda do for Zaga when she is sick?
5. What happens when Rose and Bianca return to Hammondsport for the funeral?
6. What does Bianca do now?
7. Describe Rose's and Bianca's youth.
8. What does Alec do before he sails for the Amazon?
9. What difficulties does Alec have in bringing the Birds of Paradise back with him?
10. Why can Alec not believe that there is a fire on the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Speculation into scientific laws plays an important part in many stories, but so does memory. What part does memory play in three stories? Cite specific examples from the text. What is recalled, and how do the things characters remember affect the stories?
Essay Topic 2
What role does travel play in three stories? How does a character's traveling affect a story's plot? Cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Marburg Sisters" and "Soroche," science is a minor aspect of the relationship between the characters and the development of the storyline in the plot. What do these stories tell us about the other stories? How does Barrett handle romantic relationships differently from relationships that are grounded in science?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)