|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bianca doing now?
2. In what case does Alec precede Wallace?
3. Which sister drops out of school, and when?
4. Who dies of the ague?
5. What do Rose and Bianca hear while they are eating together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alec do before he sails for the Amazon?
2. What difficulties does Alec have in bringing the Birds of Paradise back with him?
3. What happens when Alec returns to America with his Birds of Paradise?
4. What happens when Mrs. Pearce asks Sarah Anne what she is looking at when they meet at the bridge?
5. What happens to Zaga after the investment she makes in Nicholas Bennett's scheme fails?
6. What is the only case where Alec precedes Wallace?
7. What happens when Rose and Bianca return to Hammondsport for the funeral?
8. What do Rose and Bianca do now at the time of the story?
9. What does Rose do now?
10. What happens on the night when Rose convinces Bianca to camp out at the lab with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do men and women in Barrett's story approach science differently? Are there masculine and a feminine ways of knowing? Are those categories fixed or flexible? Use specific examples from three stories in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How are plants and animals described in the stories? What roles do they play in the drama being played out among the characters? Using examples from three of the stories, describe how plants and animals figure in Barrett's book.
Essay Topic 3
Characters devote a great deal of attention to their studies in these stories. What exactly do they hope to gain? What satisfaction do they get from the work? Cite examples from three stories.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)