|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruby tell her daughter when she asks who started the relationship between Ruby and Jonathan?
2. What does Tati do when he sees Antonia and Otto Leiniger in the greenhouse?
3. What do Jonathan and Ruby compare as they start their first real conversation?
4. Who is Richard's wife in "The Behavior of the Hawkweeds?"
5. Where does Linnaeus' coachman take him when they arrive at Hammarby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ruby gets away from her family to call Jonathan?
2. What do Jonathan and Ruby do when the tension builds between them?
3. What does Linnaeus remember about Rotheram?
4. When a man and a woman arrive, who does Linnaeus think they are?
5. Describe Tati, also known as Anton Vaculik, Antonia's grandfather.
6. Richard is sensitive about what condition?
7. What does Richard tell his students about Mendel's life?
8. The children talk about what when they visit Ruby and Jonathan?
9. What does Antonia tell Richard when they are dating?
10. What scene does Tati see between Antonia and Otto Leiniger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of scientific work in three stories? How do characters understand the purpose of their work? How do they expect to benefit society (or another person) with their work? Cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Death is a recurring presence in Barrett's stories. Citing specific examples from three stories, discuss the nature and importance of death in these stories. What does it mean to characters? Is death imbued with a scientific significance (i.e., does death ever follow Darwinian significance)?
Essay Topic 3
Barrett invokes Mendel's theories about hybridization in peas, Linnaeus' career developing a classification scheme for plants and animals, and Darwin's theories about the descent of species. Are these theories manifested in the development of the stories? That is, do the characters themselves, rather than working with these theories, provide evidence of them? Discuss three stories as evidence of scientific laws.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)