|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruby tell her daughter when she asks who started the relationship between Ruby and Jonathan?
2. Linnaeus thinks about what while he is driven through the snow?
3. Where is Ruby working when she meets Jonathan?
4. Where does Linnaeus begin to see his students?
5. What does Richard tell his students about the paper he gives them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Linnaeus built at Hammarby?
2. Why does Richard smile and look at his wife when he tells the story of Mendel's life?
3. What vision does Linnaeus see near the fireplace?
4. What do Linnaeus and his coachman do when they reach Hammarby?
5. In what state is Carl Linnaeus at the beginning of the story?
6. The children talk about what when they visit Ruby and Jonathan?
7. Describe the late years in Mendel's career.
8. In what situation is the coachman at the beginning of "The English Pupil?"
9. What happens when Ruby gets away from her family to call Jonathan?
10. What does Tati see when he scales the monastery walls outside of Brno?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of Barrett's stories center around relationships between men and women. How does science figure in the relationships? Is science secondary to the romantic relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Barrett uses historical figures and events in many of her stories. How does the historical background, which she never explains explicitly, inform the stories? How does history, specifically the development of science in the nineteenth century, contribute to the development of the stories, plots, and characterizations? Using examples from the text, explain how history contributes to Barrett's stories.
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of scientific work in three stories? How do characters understand the purpose of their work? How do they expect to benefit society (or another person) with their work? Cite specific examples from the text.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)