|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the house like now that the children are grown?
2. What is Linnaeus' wife's name?
3. Linnaeus thinks about what while he is driven through the snow?
4. Linnaeus has forgotten about which student?
5. Who climbs into Linnaeus' sleigh at the end of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the late years in Mendel's career.
2. What is remarkable about Thunberg?
3. How has Carl Nageli influenced Mendel's work?
4. What does Antonia tell Richard when they are dating?
5. In what state is Carl Linnaeus at the beginning of the story?
6. How do Jonathan and Ruby act when they are together after their first real conversation?
7. What happens when Ruby gets away from her family to call Jonathan?
8. In what situation is the coachman at the beginning of "The English Pupil?"
9. What does Richard tell his students about Mendel's life?
10. Where are Jonathan and Ruby working when they meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of Barrett's stories contain parents and children. How does the parent-child relationship function in three of the stories? Alternatively, how does the sibling-sibling relationship function in three of the stories?
Essay Topic 2
How does money appear in three stories? Are there other forms of exchange beside money? Cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Alec and Wallace are alter egos in "Birds with No Feet," but do other characters seem like opposite sides of the same personality? With characters within one story, or characters from different stories, discuss the double, or alter, ego in Andrea Barrett's stories. Cite specific examples from the text.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)