|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man who arrives with Sophia tell Linnaeus?
(a) That it is time to go.
(b) That he and Sophia are getting married.
(c) That Sophia is expecting a baby.
(d) That he needs his approval to continue his studies.
2. Where is Jonathan working when he meets Ruby?
(a) At a college near Albany.
(b) At a university in Boston.
(c) At a college in Ithaca.
(d) At a college in the Berkshires.
3. Whom does Sophia nurse back to health?
(a) Sara Lisa.
(d) Linnaeus himself.
4. Why does Linnaeus ask his coachman to keep driving at the beginning of the story?
(a) He is resigned to living without his family.
(b) He is uncertain about where he is going.
(c) He is dying and likes the long drives.
(d) He is anxious to get to the laboratory.
5. What is Linnaeus' wife's name?
(a) Anna Lisa.
(c) Sara Ann.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anton Vaculik go when he leaves his homeland?
2. How does Ruby get away from her house to call Jonathan?
3. Richard is sensitive about what?
4. Where does Sophia tell Linnaeus they will go next?
5. Ruby, Jonathan, and the children talk about what when the children visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is remarkable about Thunberg?
2. What vision does Linnaeus see near the fireplace?
3. Describe the late years in Mendel's career.
4. What happens on the night about which Jonathan and Ruby will not speak?
5. Describe the scene when Jonathan, Ruby, and the other researchers return to their families.
6. What does Linnaeus think as he is leaving Hammarby?
7. What has Linnaeus built at Hammarby?
8. What does Richard tell his students about Mendel's life?
9. Why does Richard smile and look at his wife when he tells the story of Mendel's life?
10. In what state is Carl Linnaeus at the beginning of the story?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)