|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Anton Vaculik?
(a) Richard's maternal grandfather.
(b) Richard's wife's father.
(c) Richard's maternal uncle.
(d) Richard's wife's grandfather.
2. Who does Linnaeus think has arrived with his daughter?
(c) Sophia's husband.
(d) Sophia's friend.
3. What does Otto Leiniger ask Antonia to do when he finds her alone in the greenhouse?
(a) He asks her to make love with him.
(b) He asks her to tell him about her father.
(c) He asks her to lean over and water some plants.
(d) He asks her to show him the garden.
4. What does Richard tell his students about the paper he gives them?
(a) It is going to revolutionize science.
(b) It is irresponsible and dangerous thinking.
(c) It is a model of good science.
(d) It should have been censored.
5. What do Ruby and Jonathan tell the children when they ask about what had happened on the island?
(a) They describe sitting together and falling in love.
(b) They say that they had known what they were doing was wrong.
(c) They say that they cannot remember.
(d) They do not give details.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the house like before the children are grown?
2. Why does Richard smile at his wife while he is giving the lecture about Mendel?
3. What is the house like now that the children are grown?
4. Why does Linnaeus ask his coachman to keep driving at the beginning of the story?
5. When does "The English Pupil" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Linnaeus built at Hammarby?
2. What does Tati see when he scales the monastery walls outside of Brno?
3. The children talk about what when they visit Ruby and Jonathan?
4. What do Linnaeus and his coachman do when they reach Hammarby?
5. In what state is Carl Linnaeus at the beginning of the story?
6. What does Linnaeus remember about Rotheram?
7. Describe the late years in Mendel's career.
8. What is remarkable about Thunberg?
9. Describe the scene when Jonathan, Ruby, and the other researchers return to their families.
10. Where are Jonathan and Ruby working when they meet?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)