|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rob want Zaga to meet when he calls her?
(a) Dr. Sepulveda.
(b) His daughter.
(c) Rob and Alicia.
(d) Nicholas Bennett.
2. What is Christopher Billopp's relationship with Miss Juliet Colden?
(a) He is courting her.
(b) He is her student.
(c) He is teaching her.
(d) They are cousins.
3. What does Sarah Anne think her brother thinks of her when she proposes to test the theory about swallows?
(a) She thinks that he resents her for being smart.
(b) She thinks that he is envious of her intelligence.
(c) She thinks that he is judging her harshly.
(d) She thinks that he is embarrassed by her.
4. How does Zaga spend her days after she moves downtown?
(a) She arranges the distribution of her husband's paintings.
(b) She works at the art museum.
(c) She does not see anyone.
(d) She cleans out the closets.
5. What is Rose doing now?
(a) Working for her father.
(b) Writing about genetic transmission.
(c) Studying enzyme structures.
6. What response has Sarah Anne had to the letter she had written during the dinner party?
(a) A friendly and encouraging response.
(b) An offer of a reward for evidence that swallows migrate.
(c) An offer of a reward for evidence of hibernating swallows.
7. What do Rose and Bianca talk about with their mother when they contact her?
(a) Their father's death.
(b) Their father's shop.
(c) Their grandfather's dogs.
(d) Their grandmother's dowry.
8. What makes Alec's decision to collect specimens from South America seem promising?
(a) Hardly any Amazonian species have been catalogued.
(b) No one is collecting Amazonian specimens.
(c) Specimens are being sold for good prices.
(d) Political turmoil in the Amazon basin has just ended.
9. Under what circumstances has Wallace lost his own specimens?
(a) Customs agents do not let the collection through.
(b) Bailiffs impound the collection for back taxes.
(c) There is a fire on his ship.
(d) Pirates steal his collection.
10. What does Alec tell Wallace when he writes to him at the end of the story?
(a) He laments his father's death.
(b) He describes his failures.
(c) He lists the discoveries he has made.
(d) He describes the next collecting journey he plans to take.
11. Where is Bianca when Rose wakes up the next morning?
(a) Out getting food.
(b) On the way home.
(c) Out with the lab director.
12. Why has Zaga agreed to raise Joel's children?
(a) Because she cannot get pregnant.
(b) Because she has lost her own baby.
(c) Because she is too old to have children.
(d) Because she loves Joel.
13. When does Alec meet Wallace?
(a) Wallace has just arrived at the Amazon.
(b) Alec has just returned to the station at the bottom of the river after a collecting trip.
(c) Alec is just about to return home from the Amazon.
(d) Wallace is just about to return home from the Amazon.
14. How old are Rose and Bianca when their mother is killed?
(a) Three and four.
(b) Eight and nine.
(c) Thirteen and fourteen.
(d) Nine and ten.
15. How do Rose and Bianca spend the rest of the night?
(a) They go out late for more food.
(b) They call their father and talk for hours.
(c) They stay up all night talking.
(d) They do not remember.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which sister drops out of school, and when?
2. In what scientific principle does Wallace profess his faith when he is talking with Alec in Borneo?
3. What does Rose cook for Bianca?
4. At whose house is Wallace staying when Alec finds him next in 1855?
5. In what case does Alec precede Wallace?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)