|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alec feel about killing specimens and orphaning their young?
(a) He is guilty and it starts to depress him.
(b) He is torn between his work and his emotions.
(c) He is glad to kill the specimens and turn them into scientific facts.
(d) He is not guilty because that is his work.
2. What does Alec tell Wallace when he writes to him at the end of the story?
(a) He laments his father's death.
(b) He describes his failures.
(c) He lists the discoveries he has made.
(d) He describes the next collecting journey he plans to take.
3. To whom does Sarah Anne write a letter when she is alone?
4. What does Alec take from his cabin when the cabin boy tells him about the fire?
(a) A sloth.
(b) A box of insect specimens.
(c) A bird of paradise.
(d) His journal.
5. How do Rose and Bianca keep in touch with each other after they visit at Rose's lab?
(a) A year passes before they talk again.
(b) They exchange impersonal letters.
(c) They see each other a few times a month.
(d) They talk on the phone infrequently for a year.
6. When does Alec meet Wallace?
(a) Wallace is just about to return home from the Amazon.
(b) Wallace has just arrived at the Amazon.
(c) Alec has just returned to the station at the bottom of the river after a collecting trip.
(d) Alec is just about to return home from the Amazon.
7. When is "Birds with No Feet" set?
8. What is Wallace doing while Alec is sweating through the ague and sending samples to Philadelphia?
(a) Sending his samples ahead of Alec's.
(b) Writing about the origin of species.
(c) Locating archaeological specimens that illustrate the evolution of species.
(d) Stealing from Alec's collection of samples.
9. What does Alec bring back from the Aru Islands?
(a) One living specimen.
(b) Crates filled with specimens.
(c) Two skins.
(d) Four crates of skins and three living specimens.
10. What are Rose and Bianca like in their youth?
(c) Always at war with each other.
11. What response has Sarah Anne had to the letter she had written during the dinner party?
(a) An offer of a reward for evidence that swallows migrate.
(b) A friendly and encouraging response.
(c) An offer of a reward for evidence of hibernating swallows.
12. How does Wallace respond when Alec writes to him?
(a) He sympathizes with Alec's loss.
(b) He gives Alec tips for raising funds for a trip.
(c) He invites Alec to the Malay Archipelago.
(d) He gives Alec suggestions for collecting valuable specimens.
13. What has Alec been collecting in Sarawak?
14. What response does Zaga get from Dr. Sepulveda when she writes to him after returning home from Chile?
(a) She hears that Dr. Sepulveda has moved.
(b) She never hears back.
(c) He writes her with long stories about his life.
(d) She hears that Dr. Sepulveda has died.
15. What do Rose and Bianca study in college?
(d) Romance languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theory in particular are they discussing at the beginning of "Rare Bird?"
2. What rule of Rose's separates Rose from Bianca?
3. What is the scientific atmosphere like in America when Alec returns with his samples?
4. Who hires the nurse who takes care of Rose's and Bianca's father when he is dying?
5. What do Rose and Bianca talk about with their mother when they contact her?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)