|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What theory in particular are they discussing at the beginning of "Rare Bird?"
(a) The theory that swallows hibernate under water.
(b) The theory that swallows hibernate in chimneys.
(c) The theory that swallows migrate to South America.
(d) The theory that swallows die off each winter and are born anew in spring.
2. How is Wallace doing when Alec finds him in Borneo?
(a) He is depressed about losing specimens to flooding.
(b) He has the ague.
(c) He is nearly starved.
(d) He is fit and working hard.
3. What do Rose and Bianca share in addition to their text books?
(a) Rides to school.
4. What does Zaga find in Joel's closet?
(a) Pictures from Chile.
(c) Baby clothes.
(d) Bills and letters.
5. Where is Bianca when Rose wakes up the next morning?
(a) Out with the lab director.
(c) Out getting food.
(d) On the way home.
6. Who hires the nurse who takes care of Rose's and Bianca's father when he is dying?
(a) A group of his friends.
(b) His lawyer.
(c) Rose and Bianca.
(d) His wife.
7. At whose house is Wallace staying when Alec finds him next in 1855?
(a) Sir John Brooke.
(b) Mr. Barton.
(c) Dr. Lauchlin Grant.
(d) Mr. Adam Rowley.
8. Why has Zaga agreed to raise Joel's children?
(a) Because she loves Joel.
(b) Because she has lost her own baby.
(c) Because she is too old to have children.
(d) Because she cannot get pregnant.
9. When does Alec meet Wallace?
(a) Wallace is just about to return home from the Amazon.
(b) Alec is just about to return home from the Amazon.
(c) Alec has just returned to the station at the bottom of the river after a collecting trip.
(d) Wallace has just arrived at the Amazon.
10. What is Wallace doing while Alec is sweating through the ague and sending samples to Philadelphia?
(a) Locating archaeological specimens that illustrate the evolution of species.
(b) Stealing from Alec's collection of samples.
(c) Writing about the origin of species.
(d) Sending his samples ahead of Alec's.
11. What news do Rose and Bianca have from their father?
(a) That he is ill.
(b) That he is thinking about selling the winery.
(c) That he is thinking about selling the apothecary shop.
(d) That he is thinking about selling their grandfather's printmaking shop.
12. What does Alec tell Wallace when he writes to him at the end of the story?
(a) He describes his failures.
(b) He laments his father's death.
(c) He describes the next collecting journey he plans to take.
(d) He lists the discoveries he has made.
13. What is the Marburg sisters' mother's name?
14. What does Rose convince Bianca to do with her?
(a) Camp out at the lab.
(b) Move to New York.
(d) Move back home to live with their father.
15. How does Wallace respond when Alec writes to him?
(a) He gives Alec tips for raising funds for a trip.
(b) He sympathizes with Alec's loss.
(c) He gives Alec suggestions for collecting valuable specimens.
(d) He invites Alec to the Malay Archipelago.
Short Answer Questions
1. How have Wallace's fortunes changed since he meets Alec in the Amazon?
2. Where is Alec Carriere when "Birds with No Feet" opens?
3. Whose theories are Christopher Billopp, his sister Sarah Anne, and their guests discussing?
4. What answer did Sarah Anne finally get from the person to whom she had written during the dinner party?
5. Bianca is thinking about what when she drives to see Rose in 1980?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)