|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Bianca doing now?
(a) Studying enzyme structures.
(c) Working for her father.
(d) Writing about genetic transmission.
2. Where are Wallace's specimens placed when Wallace arrives in England?
(a) The Washington Zoo.
(b) The Queen's Zoo.
(c) The Zoological Gardens.
(d) The Institute of Natural Sciences.
3. How does Rose's and Bianca's mother tell them to find what they need?
(a) Walk to the top of the tallest mountain around.
(b) Walk around a fire, repeating your question.
(c) Sit by the sea and watch the waves.
(d) Look into water and spin the surface with their hands.
4. What do Rose and Bianca do at midnight?
(a) Go to the cliffs.
(b) Go to a bar.
(c) Go to the creek.
(d) Go to the ocean.
5. What is soroche?
(b) Morning sickness.
(d) Altitude sickness.
6. Bianca is thinking about what when she drives to see Rose in 1980?
(a) The dead.
(c) The undead.
7. When does Zaga sell the house in Soroche?
(a) A few months after Joel's funeral.
(b) After her pregnancy.
(c) While Joel is in Chile.
(d) Before her departure for Chile.
8. Rose and Bianca help with what family business?
(a) Their father's apothecary shop.
(b) Their father's winery.
(c) Their father's chemistry lab.
(d) Their grandfather's printmaking shop.
9. Who hires the nurse who takes care of Rose's and Bianca's father when he is dying?
(a) Rose and Bianca.
(b) A group of his friends.
(c) His lawyer.
(d) His wife.
10. What answer did Sarah Anne finally get from the person to whom she had written during the dinner party?
(a) The person has accused her of being unethical.
(b) The person has dismissed her theories.
(c) Her theories have been adopted as the person's new position.
(d) The person has chastised her for her presumptuousness.
11. What is Wallace doing while Alec is sweating through the ague and sending samples to Philadelphia?
(a) Writing about the origin of species.
(b) Stealing from Alec's collection of samples.
(c) Locating archaeological specimens that illustrate the evolution of species.
(d) Sending his samples ahead of Alec's.
12. What does Zaga find in Joel's closet?
(a) Bills and letters.
(b) Pictures from Chile.
(c) Baby clothes.
13. What do Rose and Bianca share in addition to their text books?
(d) Rides to school.
14. Who is Dr. Sepulveda?
(a) The tour guide who takes Joel and Zaga through Chile.
(b) Joel's step father.
(c) A curator at the art museum.
(d) A widower Zaga meets in Chile.
15. How does Alec feel about killing specimens and orphaning their young?
(a) He is glad to kill the specimens and turn them into scientific facts.
(b) He is guilty and it starts to depress him.
(c) He is torn between his work and his emotions.
(d) He is not guilty because that is his work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rose's and Bianca's father's wife refuse to let them take?
2. Where is Alec Carriere when "Birds with No Feet" opens?
3. What does Rose cook for Bianca?
4. How old are Rose and Bianca when their mother is killed?
5. In what scientific principle does Wallace profess his faith when he is talking with Alec in Borneo?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)