|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Ruby and Jonathan see when they sit on the patio now that the children are grown?
(a) The garden.
(b) The ocean.
(c) The children watching them.
(d) The children playing.
2. What happens after Antonia's daughters grow up and move away?
(a) Her world goes gray for a year.
(b) She throws dinner parties for the alumni of the college where Richard is teaching.
(c) She and her husband move to Brno.
(d) She leaves her husband.
3. How does Linnaeus identify the man who arrives?
(a) He had classified his students according to eye color once.
(b) He remembers the man's mustache.
(c) He does not remember a wedding so it must be his daughter's fiancé.
(d) He remembers that the man who arrives always reminds him of one of his schoolmates.
4. Jonathan asks Ruby about what when she calls?
(a) Her work.
(b) His letter.
(c) Her tenure review.
(d) Her divorce.
5. What is Mendel's experience with hawkweeds?
(a) He shows the mechanisms that prevent traits from being passed from one generation to another.
(b) He performs technical sound experiments, but does not get results.
(c) He shows how traits can be passed from one generation to another.
(d) He refines his experimental techniques and shows how hawkweeds can be fertilized in the garden.
6. Linnaeus has forgotten about which student?
7. Who is Richard's wife in "The Behavior of the Hawkweeds?"
8. Why does Linnaeus ask his coachman to keep driving at the beginning of the story?
(a) He is anxious to get to the laboratory.
(b) He is dying and likes the long drives.
(c) He is resigned to living without his family.
(d) He is uncertain about where he is going.
9. Which answer describes Sophia's appearance?
(a) Pretty and smiling.
(b) Angry at Pehr.
(c) Caring and comforting.
(d) Anxious and worried.
10. What are the conditions like when Ruby and Jonathan get together?
(a) They stayed in the library to work together.
(b) There is a storm and the electricity is out.
(c) All of the other researchers are in the evening talks, and they are suddenly alone.
(d) Ruby sleep walks into Jonathan's room.
11. What do Jonathan and Ruby do after their first real conversation?
(a) Phone their spouses and confess.
(b) Skip all talks and assignments.
(c) Work together all the time.
(d) Sit together at presentations.
12. What has Linnaeus taught his students?
(a) That he will meet them again on the other side.
(b) How to carry on when he predeceases them.
(c) That they are responsible for his success.
(d) That classifications have to be clear and expressive.
13. Where does Anton Vaculik work?
(a) On a farm.
(b) At a foundry.
(c) At a nursery.
(d) In a laboratory.
14. When does "The English Pupil" take place?
(a) July, 1859.
(b) October, 1829.
(c) April, 1836.
(d) December, 1777.
15. Richard is sensitive about what?
(a) His left hand, from which an extra finger has been amputated.
(b) His feet, which had been crushed in an accident.
(c) His right leg, which has withered from polio.
(d) His lisp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Anton Vaculik?
2. What does Tati tell Antonia ruined Gregor Mendel's life?
3. What is the house like now that the children are grown?
4. What do Ruby and Jonathan tell the children when they ask about what had happened on the island?
5. Linnaeus thinks about what while he is driven through the snow?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)