|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after Antonia's daughters grow up and move away?
(a) She throws dinner parties for the alumni of the college where Richard is teaching.
(b) She leaves her husband.
(c) Her world goes gray for a year.
(d) She and her husband move to Brno.
2. What does Otto Leiniger do in 1931?
(a) He emigrates to Paris.
(b) He publishes his response to Mendel's paper.
(c) He gives his daughter away in marriage.
(d) He takes over the nursery where Tati works.
3. What is Linnaeus' wife's name?
(c) Sara Ann.
(d) Anna Lisa.
4. Who does Antonia think Otto Leiniger is?
(a) A gentleman.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A salesman.
(d) A scholar.
5. Why does Richard smile at his wife while he is giving the lecture about Mendel?
(a) He wants her to know that he still loves her more than science.
(b) She knows the secret of how Mendel had been led astray by another scientist.
(c) She makes subtle jokes about how he delivers the material.
(d) He likes to think about how their children have her eyes.
6. What does Otto Leiniger ask Antonia to do when he finds her alone in the greenhouse?
(a) He asks her to make love with him.
(b) He asks her to show him the garden.
(c) He asks her to tell him about her father.
(d) He asks her to lean over and water some plants.
7. Where is Mendel born?
8. Which of Linnaeus' students dies first?
9. Linnaeus thinks about what while he is driven through the snow?
(a) Pea plants.
(c) His wife.
(d) His daughter.
10. Where does Linnaeus' coachman take him when they arrive at Hammarby?
(a) The greenhouse.
(b) The stables.
(c) The bedroom.
(d) The kitchen.
11. Who builds Hammarby?
(a) Linnaeus' family.
(c) Sara Lisa's family.
12. Which of Linnaeus' students has been most faithful about writing?
13. What is the worst part about returning from the marine biology station?
(a) Explaining their exhaustion.
(b) Their families' happiness and ignorance.
(c) Being exposed by the icthyologist.
(d) Confessing their affair.
14. What does Ruby tell her daughter when she asks who started the relationship between Ruby and Jonathan?
(a) She says that it had happened to both of them.
(b) She says that Jonathan had started it.
(c) She says that she had started it.
(d) She says that Jonathan had coerced her.
15. What do Ruby and Jonathan tell the children when they ask about what had happened on the island?
(a) They say that they had known what they were doing was wrong.
(b) They say that they cannot remember.
(c) They do not give details.
(d) They describe sitting together and falling in love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Linnaeus ask his coachman to keep driving at the beginning of the story?
2. What does Antonia think about what Otto Leiniger has asked of her in the greenhouse?
3. What are the conditions like when Ruby and Jonathan get together?
4. What do Ruby and Jonathan do when the tension builds between them?
5. What does Richard tell his students about the paper he gives them?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)