|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Anton Vaculik go when he leaves his homeland?
2. What does Otto Leiniger ask Antonia to do when he finds her alone in the greenhouse?
(a) He asks her to show him the garden.
(b) He asks her to make love with him.
(c) He asks her to tell him about her father.
(d) He asks her to lean over and water some plants.
3. Who is Carl Nageli?
(a) Mendel's father-in-law.
(b) A botanist in Munich.
(c) A policeman in Brno.
(d) Mendel's lover's husband.
4. Where is Linnaeus' wife at the beginning of the story?
5. Jonathan and Ruby laugh at what together at the marine biology station?
(a) Their children's cute moments.
(b) The impossibility of a future together.
(c) Their spouses' ignorance.
(d) The others' presentations.
6. What does Nageli suggest to Mendel?
(a) That he turn his focus to peas.
(b) That he leave Brno and move to Munich.
(c) That he focus his research on hawkweeds.
(d) That he send Tati to study with him.
7. What does Otto Leiniger do in 1931?
(a) He gives his daughter away in marriage.
(b) He publishes his response to Mendel's paper.
(c) He takes over the nursery where Tati works.
(d) He emigrates to Paris.
8. What does Richard tell his students about the paper he gives them?
(a) It should have been censored.
(b) It is a model of good science.
(c) It is irresponsible and dangerous thinking.
(d) It is going to revolutionize science.
9. Where is Jonathan working when he meets Ruby?
(a) At a university in Boston.
(b) At a college near Albany.
(c) At a college in the Berkshires.
(d) At a college in Ithaca.
10. What do Ruby and Jonathan tell the children when they ask about what had happened on the island?
(a) They do not give details.
(b) They say that they had known what they were doing was wrong.
(c) They describe sitting together and falling in love.
(d) They say that they cannot remember.
11. Who does Linnaeus think has arrived with his daughter?
(a) Sophia's friend.
(c) Sophia's husband.
12. What does Mendel do when Tati jumps over the wall at the monastery?
(a) He runs and hides.
(b) He brings him back to his house and interrogates him about what he has seen.
(c) He attacks him.
(d) He shows him a tame fox and other animals.
13. When does "The English Pupil" take place?
(a) April, 1836.
(b) December, 1777.
(c) October, 1829.
(d) July, 1859.
14. Who is waiting for Antonia after she cames home from school after Leiniger has died?
(a) Captain McSweeney from the police.
(c) Her mother.
15. Where does Mendel teach?
(a) At a high school.
(b) At the University of Berlin.
(c) At a monastery.
(d) At the Sorbonne.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Linnaeus' health at the beginning of the story?
2. What do both Jonathan and Ruby have?
3. Where is Ruby working when she meets Jonathan?
4. What does Sophia do while Pehr and the other man push the sleigh outside?
5. Which answer describes Sophia's appearance?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)