|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Anton Vaculik leave his homeland?
2. What does Tati tell Antonia ruined Gregor Mendel's life?
(c) A woman.
3. What do Ruby and Jonathan see when they sit on the patio now that the children are grown?
(a) The children playing.
(b) The garden.
(c) The children watching them.
(d) The ocean.
4. Which of Linnaeus' students has been most faithful about writing?
5. What is the worst part about returning from the marine biology station?
(a) Explaining their exhaustion.
(b) Their families' happiness and ignorance.
(c) Confessing their affair.
(d) Being exposed by the icthyologist.
6. Linnaeus has forgotten about which student?
7. When does "The English Pupil" take place?
(a) October, 1829.
(b) April, 1836.
(c) July, 1859.
(d) December, 1777.
8. Who answers Ruby's call to Jonathan?
(a) Jonathan's mother.
(b) Jonathan's daughter.
(d) Jonathan's wife.
9. Richard is sensitive about what?
(a) His feet, which had been crushed in an accident.
(b) His lisp.
(c) His left hand, from which an extra finger has been amputated.
(d) His right leg, which has withered from polio.
10. What is Linnaeus' wife's name?
(c) Anna Lisa.
(d) Sara Ann.
11. When does Mendel begin his experiments?
12. How is Linnaeus' health at the beginning of the story?
(a) He is young and in love.
(b) His heart is failing.
(c) He has had a number of strokes and is half paralyzed.
(d) He is in the prime of his health.
13. How does Linnaeus identify the man who arrives?
(a) He does not remember a wedding so it must be his daughter's fiancé.
(b) He had classified his students according to eye color once.
(c) He remembers that the man who arrives always reminds him of one of his schoolmates.
(d) He remembers the man's mustache.
14. Who is waiting for Antonia after she cames home from school after Leiniger has died?
(b) Captain McSweeney from the police.
(d) Her mother.
15. Where does Mendel teach?
(a) At the University of Berlin.
(b) At the Sorbonne.
(c) At a high school.
(d) At a monastery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it difficult to experiment on hawkweeds?
2. Who is Carl Nageli?
3. What does Mendel do when Tati jumps over the wall at the monastery?
4. Jonathan and Ruby are looking at what when they have their first real conversation?
5. Who arrives with Sophia right after Pehr tells Linnaeus that they should return?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)