|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jonathan and Ruby laugh at what together at the marine biology station?
(a) The others' presentations.
(b) Their spouses' ignorance.
(c) Their children's cute moments.
(d) The impossibility of a future together.
2. What do Ruby and Jonathan do when the tension builds between them?
(a) One of them goes to the island.
(b) They tell a story about the past.
(c) One of them goes out to the garden.
(d) They argue until they dispel the tension.
3. When do Jonathan and Ruby have their first real conversation?
(a) When they are both assigned to kitchen duty.
(b) When they review each other's articles.
(c) When they meet at their sons' baseball game.
(d) When they are assigned to the littoral zone.
4. Jonathan asks Ruby about what when she calls?
(a) Her tenure review.
(b) His letter.
(c) Her divorce.
(d) Her work.
5. What do Linnaeus' students begin to describe when he sees them?
(a) The places they have seen.
(b) The success he will enjoy.
(c) The reputation he has built.
(d) The place where he will rejoin them.
6. Why do Ruby and Jonathan avoid talking about the evening that changes their lives?
(a) They do not want to think about how much they have lost.
(b) They remember the evening too differently, and cannot agree about what had happened.
(c) They are not sure what had happened.
(d) They are ashamed of themselves.
7. What does Linnaeus do when Pehr tells him that they should return?
(a) He pulls the sled outside and locks the door.
(b) He gets up and walks outside.
(c) He dies.
(d) He smokes his pipe.
8. What are Linnaeus' students holding when he sees them as he is leaving?
(a) The animals they have named for him.
(b) The gifts he has given them.
(c) The books they have published.
(d) The plants he has named after them.
9. Where is Linnaeus' wife at the beginning of the story?
10. Who arrives with Sophia right after Pehr tells Linnaeus that they should return?
(b) Sara Lisa.
11. What have Linnaeus' students done for him?
(a) They have done his work of gathering and classifying plants and animals.
(b) They have married his daughters.
(c) They have written his books and articles.
(d) They have cared for him in his old age.
12. What does Tati see when he climbs the wall at the Augustinian monastery in Brno?
(a) Mendel's garden.
(b) Mendel attacking a man.
(c) Mendel's wife with another man.
(d) Mendel and his mistress.
13. What does Tati do when he sees Antonia and Otto Leiniger in the greenhouse?
(a) He throws Leiniger against the wall.
(b) He slits Leiniger's throat.
(c) He stabs Leiniger's hand.
(d) He threatens Antonia's life.
14. What does Otto Leiniger ask Antonia to do when he finds her alone in the greenhouse?
(a) He asks her to lean over and water some plants.
(b) He asks her to show him the garden.
(c) He asks her to make love with him.
(d) He asks her to tell him about her father.
15. Who is Richard's wife in "The Behavior of the Hawkweeds?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Linnaeus thinks about what while he is driven through the snow?
2. Where does Linnaeus begin to see his students?
3. When does Anton Vaculik leave his homeland?
4. How long after they leave the marine biology station does Ruby call Jonathan?
5. Ruby, Jonathan, and the children talk about what when the children visit?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)