|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon does Nailer have left?
2. What has Richard been forcing down Nailer?
3. What happens when Candless leaps on board and orders the crew to surrender?
4. What do the travelers realize when they check their pockets?
5. What does Pyce worry Patel will do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ship name does Tool finally recognize and why does Captain Candless decide to chase a different ship?
2. How does the Dauntless fall into a trap and what seems to be the best way to get out of it?
3. What happens when Blue Eyes suddenly wakes and how is Nailer saved?
4. What happens between Nailer and his father in the engine room?
5. How is Tool removed from being their guardian?
6. How does Nailer almost blow Pima's deception to Richard?
7. Describe Nailer's search for Nita.
8. What is Nailer's and Pima's first view of Orleans?
9. What does Nailer do after Richard passes out of sight and why does Nita not seem too worried?
10. Describe the argument between Nita and Tool.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Paolo Bacigalupi.
2. What in Bacigalupi's background may have helped him in writing Ship Breaker? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Ship Breaker interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Nailer. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Pima. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Richard. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,508 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)