|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tool say about blood?
2. What did Nita's father learn about Pyce?
3. Why is it going to be very difficult for Nailer to work in the machine room?
4. What does Nailer know he can never do now after the melee on the beach?
5. What makes the interior of the ship so eerie as Nailer is running through it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the three of them dismay as they arrive at the docks?
2. How is Tool removed from being their guardian?
3. Describe Nailer's search for Nita.
4. What is Nailer's and Pima's first view of Orleans?
5. Why does Nailer risk going into Blue Eye's shack and what does he do there?
6. What does Nailer realize about those on board the Pole Star, and what is his final thought about it?
7. Describe the initial boarding of the Pole Star by the Dauntless crew.
8. What does Nita say about why her uncle is chasing her?
9. What happens when Blue Eyes suddenly wakes and how is Nailer saved?
10. What decision does Nailer make about his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Ship Breaker.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Ship Breaker. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Ship Breaker. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. In your opinion, what are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Ship Breaker based upon your criteria for a successful novel and judge if Ship Breaker is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Ship Breaker a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
In most hero stories, there is a scene known as "Atonement with the Father" in which the hero reconciles his past with his future. In order for Nailer to move on in his life, he had to confront the man who had tortured and pursued him throughout the novel.
1. Do you think Nailer could be called a hero? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Ship Breaker to support your reasoning.
2. How do you think killing his father will affect Nailer for the rest of his life? Use examples from your own life and Ship Breaker to support your reasoning.
3. What do you think Sadna meant when she said killing always costs? Use examples from your own life and Ship Breaker to support your reasoning.
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)