|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Nailer given a job?
2. Who kills Blue Eyes?
3. How does Nailer lose his pistol?
4. What happens as Tool is walking towards Nita and Nailer?
5. What does Captain Candless say about the ship where Tool believes Nita is being held?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Richard's and Nailer's perceptions of the situation differ?
2. Describe the initial boarding of the Pole Star by the Dauntless crew.
3. What does Nailer suddenly notice one day as he is working and what does he do?
4. How does the Dauntless fall into a trap and what seems to be the best way to get out of it?
5. Describe the chase scene and the possible consequences.
6. What does Nailer realize about those on board the Pole Star, and what is his final thought about it?
7. What does Captain Candless do after hearing Nailer's story?
8. How is Tool removed from being their guardian?
9. What causes the three of them dismay as they arrive at the docks?
10. Describe Nailer's search for Nita.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. In your opinion, what are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Ship Breaker based upon your criteria for a successful novel and judge if Ship Breaker is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Ship Breaker a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Ship Breaker.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Ship Breaker. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Ship Breaker. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)