|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many dives does it take Nailer to open the door?
2. What is the first thing Nailer and Pima do?
(a) Go into town to get some sacks.
(b) Go talk to Richard and Sadna.
(c) Climb aboard and look for lightweight items to scavenge.
(d) See if they can help any survivors.
3. Upon what is Nailer tugging?
(a) A copper wire.
(b) A burlap sack.
(c) A water pipe.
(d) A huge weed.
4. What does no one take seriously about Sloth?
(a) Her dream to command a crew.
(b) Her wanting to crawl in the ducts.
(c) Her orders.
(d) Her desire to marry a wealthy captain.
5. What does Nailer watch as he lies down outside the tanker after work?
(a) His brother rolling wire.
(b) A dragonfly alighting on a water lily.
(c) Clipper ships streaming across the water.
(d) An eagle hovering.
6. What does Lucky Girl say is probably on the clipper ship?
(a) A radio.
(b) More jewels.
(d) More canned goods.
7. Why is it maddening to Nailer that he may die?
(a) He has found unbelievable wealth.
(b) He has fallen in love.
(c) His sister is depending on him.
(d) He is only eight.
8. What does the girl say that indicates she understands her situation?
(a) She will tell her father Nailer and Pima rescued her.
(b) She is worth more alive than dead.
(c) She is willing to defend the claim against other with Nailer and Pima.
(d) She doesn't say anything.
9. What does Nailer feel as he propels himself out of the water?
(a) Anger at Sloth.
(b) Sorrow that he would not benefit from the oil.
(d) Fondness for all the things going on in his little world.
10. What room does Nailer find as he is searching through the ship?
(a) A room of expensive electronics.
(b) A girl's cabin.
(c) A room of trunks.
(d) A room of books.
11. Why is Nailer hesitant about seeing Richard?
(a) He's not sure if his father is drunk.
(b) He's not sure how his father feels about being saved.
(c) He feels badly that he was not able to save his father himself.
(d) He thinks Richard looks different.
12. Why would Nailer and Pima have killed Lucky Girl if they had known who she was?
(a) Her father killed Pima's father.
(b) Her father got their country into a big war.
(c) Her father is responsible for the island's poverty.
(d) They would know they would not get any money from her.
13. How do the few people who see Nailer react?
14. Why does Nailer mark where he has ended his scavenge?
(a) So he can keep track of his pay.
(b) So he will find the end the next day.
(c) So others will leave it alone.
(d) So he will not waste time going back down the same tunnel.
15. Why does Nailer wear a mask?
(a) The air is full of sulfur.
(b) The air contains little oxygen.
(c) Protection from asbestos and rat droppings.
(d) So he cannot be recognized by the child labor people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bapi do to Sloth?
2. What does Nailer hear when he leans forward closer to the rich girl?
3. What shocks Nailer and Pima when they are on board the clipper?
4. What does Nailer realize about Lucky Girl for the first time since he met her?
5. For what does Nailer search in Lucky Girl's eyes?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)