|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is best at stripping wires from ancient tankers?
(a) Strong men.
(b) Trained dogs.
(c) Anyone who wants good money.
(d) Small children.
2. What could the rich girl's fingers have been to Nailer?
(b) A reminder of the capriciousness of life.
(c) A way to prove his claim.
(d) Fate amulets.
3. What do Nailer and Pima do the day after the storm?
(a) Scavenge for supplies to build new homes.
(b) Run errands for the older people.
(c) Hang around at the docks hoping work would start soon.
(d) Tend the wounded.
4. What does Pima do despite gagging?
(a) Helps Nailer pull a dead woman out of one of the doorways.
(b) Pulls a dead man off the bow.
(c) Digs through the pockets of a dead man on the ship.
(d) Rummage around four bodies to find the door to the inner cabin.
5. Who is Tool?
(a) The man who started Richard on drugs.
(b) The island's only cop.
(c) A monstrous half man.
(d) Richard's second in command.
6. What does Nailer find on his first dive?
(a) A porthold.
(b) A rung ladder.
(c) A water hose.
(d) A door.
7. After how much use is the mask supposed to be discarded?
(a) 1 year.
(b) Approximately 1000 hours.
(c) 40 hours.
(d) 2-3 years.
8. Upon what is Nailer tugging?
(a) A copper wire.
(b) A water pipe.
(c) A burlap sack.
(d) A huge weed.
9. Where do Nailer and Pima find a clipper ship?
(a) Partly aground on the north side of the island.
(b) Nestled in trees deep in the jungle.
(c) In the forest canopy.
(d) Anchored just off shore.
10. Why does Nailer wear a mask?
(a) So he cannot be recognized by the child labor people.
(b) The air contains little oxygen.
(c) The air is full of sulfur.
(d) Protection from asbestos and rat droppings.
11. What does no one take seriously about Sloth?
(a) Her desire to marry a wealthy captain.
(b) Her dream to command a crew.
(c) Her wanting to crawl in the ducts.
(d) Her orders.
12. What shocks Nailer when he emerges from the trees?
(a) Two of the tankers are completely beached.
(b) Most everyone is dead.
(c) Despite the storm's ferocity, almost everything is still standing.
(d) The beach is swept empty.
13. Why does Nailer have to go to his house instead of Pima's?
(a) He needs his spare set of clothes.
(b) To tell his father about what happened that day.
(c) His father sends word for him to come home.
(d) The storm is coming too fast to get to Pima's house.
14. What worries Nailer?
(a) His sister starving.
(b) Sloth getting revenge.
(c) Not making his quota.
(d) Bapi being angry that he let the oil into the water.
15. What does the rich girl ask Nailer when she wakes?
(a) How he found the clipper ship.
(b) Why he didn't kill her.
(c) How he hurt his shoulder.
(d) Why he keeps Pima around.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Nailer and his friends cry out in joy?
2. Why is Nailer hesitant about seeing Richard?
3. What is one problem Pima thinks about concerning the clipper ship?
4. What happens when the duct suddenly squeaks and shakes?
5. For what does Nailer search in Lucky Girl's eyes?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)