|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Bapi cancelled the next day's work?
(a) There is a festival.
(b) The accountant can catch up with the inventory.
(c) Nailer can heal.
(d) A storm is coming in.
2. To what does Nailer attribute his feelings about Bright Sands Beach?
(a) His father's feelings about it.
(b) His mother's feelings about it.
(c) His near death experience.
(d) His possible bonus coming up.
3. What does Pima do despite gagging?
(a) Rummage around four bodies to find the door to the inner cabin.
(b) Digs through the pockets of a dead man on the ship.
(c) Pulls a dead man off the bow.
(d) Helps Nailer pull a dead woman out of one of the doorways.
4. What does Nailer's crew share?
(a) News about Sloth.
(b) A pigeon and some liquor.
(c) A chicken and some beer.
(d) Nailer's luck.
5. Why do Nailer and his friends cry out in joy?
(a) A large clipper ship is approaching the harbor.
(b) They notice one of the beached ships is full of unclaimed oil.
(c) Two tankers that were sunken have risen in the storm.
(d) Sadna and Richard emerge from the jungle.
6. To what does Bapi condemn Sloth?
(a) A penal colony.
(b) A life off the crews.
(c) Thirty lashes.
7. What surprises Nailer about himself?
(a) He is actually contemplating killing a human just for money.
(b) He would listen to what Pima is saying.
(c) He is sad.
(d) His conflicting emotions about killing the girl..
8. What does Nailer decide has to be done if he does not kill Lucky Girl?
(a) She will have to be handcuffed to him.
(b) She will have to be hidden in the jungle.
(c) She will have to swear a blood oath as a crew member.
(d) She will have to be turned over to Richard.
9. What does Nailer decide to do to save himself?
(a) Bang a hole to drain the oil.
(b) Make a deal with Sloth.
(c) Strip off his clothes.
(d) Dive down into the oil.
10. What does Sadna pull from Nailer's skull?
(b) A blade of rusted metal.
(c) A piece of wire.
(d) Big globs of oil.
11. On what type of crew does Nailer work?
(a) A plumbing crew.
(b) A farm crew.
(c) An electrical crew.
(d) A light crew.
12. What is one problem Pima thinks about concerning the clipper ship?
(a) It may belong to dangerous men.
(b) It will have to lighten its load to refloat.
(c) It is dangerous to scavenge in their position.
(d) It may still have live people on board.
13. Why do the children work so hard when Bapi comes around?
(a) So he will keep them on the crew.
(b) So they will not be docked any pay.
(c) So they will not be made to swab the docks.
(d) So they will not be sent to the children's protection league.
14. What shocks Nailer when he emerges from the trees?
(a) Most everyone is dead.
(b) Despite the storm's ferocity, almost everything is still standing.
(c) Two of the tankers are completely beached.
(d) The beach is swept empty.
15. How is Nailer seeing what he is doing?
(a) He has some phosphorescent gel smeared on his forehead.
(b) He's wearing a miner's cap.
(c) He is holding a flashlight in his mouth.
(d) It's daylight, and he has no need for any extra light.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what is Nailer tugging?
2. For how many days does the storm rage?
3. What does Pima start thinking about immediately after seeing the clipper ship?
4. Where do Nailer and Pima find a clipper ship?
5. Why is it maddening to Nailer that he may die?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)