|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hallorann see in the window of the Presidential Suite as the Overlook burns?
(a) He sees the dead woman from Room 217 melting
(b) He sees a dark shape that looks like a swarming nest of wasps
(c) He sees Jack Torrance burning
(d) He sees Lloyd and Mr. Grady screaming
2. Where is Jack standing when he sees the hotel coming to life?
(a) Outside the Colorado Lounge
(b) In the lobby
(c) In the elevator
(d) Outside Room 217
3. Why does Danny scream when he looks into the bathroom mirror?
(a) He sees Jack laughing in the mirror
(b) He sees the dead woman staring back at him
(c) He sees REDRUM spells MURDER backwards
(d) He sees the wasps nest in the mirror
4. What does Jack see while he is locked in the pantry?
(a) He sees his father's murder of his mother with a cane
(b) He sees his father crying with guilt for murdering Jack's mother
(c) He sees Ullman grinning
(d) He sees Danny laughing at him
5. What happens to Lloyd when Jack asks what the manager wants with his son?
(a) Lloyd disappears
(b) Lloyd's face changes shape, cracking and turning yellow
(c) Lloyd turns into a snake
(d) Lloyd turns red with anger
6. What does Jack do after Wendy stabs him?
(a) He falls down the stairs
(b) He follows her up the stairs
(c) He crawls away
(d) He becomes unconscious
7. What does Danny wonder when Wendy tells him they will get out in the spring?
(a) He wonders if he will be attacked by hedge animals
(b) He wonders if there will ever be a spring
(c) He wonders if Wendy will turn against him
(d) He wonders is his father will get better
8. What excuse does Hallorann tell his boss to get three days off to go help Danny?
(a) That he just found out he has cancer
(b) That his son was shot and in the hospital
(c) That his daughter is sick
(d) That his ex-wife died
9. What does Jack announce as he enters the Colorado Lounge?
(a) He says that he is leaving the Overlook
(b) He says that he must be imagining all of this
(c) He says that he has been away but now he is back
(d) He says that he never should have come to the hotel
10. How does Wendy ward off Jack?
(a) She grabs the mallet and hits him
(b) She stabs him in the back with a kitchen knife
(c) She hits him with a fireplace poker
(d) She throws a chair at him
11. What does Lloyd tell Jack that the manager is interested in?
12. What does Jack say is in the elevator?
(a) A broken cable
(c) A fire hose
(d) A leaky pipe
13. How is Hallorann forced off the road on the way to the Overlook?
(a) A snowplow
(b) A hedge lion
(c) The woman from Room 217 appears
(d) A swarm of wasps
14. How far does Hallorann have to detour because of the storm?
(a) 2 miles
(b) 20 miles
(c) 5 miles
(d) 10 miles
15. Halloran points toward the playground and what does Danny see?
(a) All the hedge animals are back in position, black and charred
(b) The hedge animals are standing and waving goodbye
(c) The hedge animals are running in circles
(d) The hedge animals are still chasing them, even though they are burning
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Danny realize as he lies down to sleep?
2. Where does Dick Hallorann work after the tragedy at the Overlook?
3. How do Danny and Wendy try to drown out Jack's screams?
4. When Danny goes into the bathroom, what does he see?
5. How does Jack feel when Wendy asks him how he is going to get them off the mountain?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)