|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't the rangers check on the Overlook?
(a) They are all on a rescue mission
(b) There is not a good reason
(c) The storm is too severe
(d) They can't leave the station
2. What does Danny realize as he lies down to sleep?
(a) Wendy wants to stay in the hotel forever
(b) Wendy is going insane
(c) Jack wants to go back to Vermont
(d) Jack wants to stay in the hotel forever
3. Why does Danny scream and wake Wendy?
(a) He hears a mallet hitting the walls
(b) He sees a vision that terrifies him
(c) He is afraid of her
(d) He lost his shining
4. What is the premonition Hallorann has after getting the call from Danny?
5. What reaction does the hedge dog have when the Overlook explodes?
(a) It roars with revenge, shaking its head back and forth
(b) It crawls up to Danny and lies at his feet
(c) It surges foreword, attacking Wendy and Danny
(d) It recoils away, flattens its ears, and puts its tail between its legs
6. What is Jack trying to repair to take his family to town?
(a) The hotel truck
(b) A snowmobile
(c) A jeep
(d) An old snowplow
7. What does Danny realize about his father when Jack chases him?
(a) His father is going to get better
(b) His father never loved him
(c) His father is no longer human, but part of the Overlook
(d) His father no longer loves him
8. What advice does Hallorann give Danny before he and Wendy move away?
(a) He advises Danny to forget his father and the pain he caused
(b) He tells Danny to love those who die, but to get on with life
(c) He encourages Danny to dwell on the past and learn from it
(d) He tells Danny to toughen up, putting the past behind him
9. What does Jack do to Wendy when he finds her?
(a) He crashes the mallet into her spine
(b) He tells her that he has killed Danny
(c) He says that Hallorann is not coming
(d) He tells her that he is sorry
10. What does Grady tell Jack he has to do?
(a) Find Ullman
(b) Destroy the scrapbook
(c) Discipline Wendy and Danny
(d) Write a history of the Overlook
11. Halloran points toward the playground and what does Danny see?
(a) The hedge animals are standing and waving goodbye
(b) The hedge animals are running in circles
(c) All the hedge animals are back in position, black and charred
(d) The hedge animals are still chasing them, even though they are burning
12. What does Jack do after Wendy stabs him?
(a) He falls down the stairs
(b) He becomes unconscious
(c) He crawls away
(d) He follows her up the stairs
13. What do Hallorann, Wendy, and Danny see as they are riding in the snowmobile on the way to Sidewinder?
(a) Jack Torrance waving for help
(b) A chain of snowmobile lights heading in their direction
(c) A large tree fallen across the road
(d) The hedge lion, blocking the way
14. Where do Wendy and Danny go after the fire in the Overlook?
(a) They go to a shelter
(b) They move in with Wendy's mother
(c) They move back to Vermont
(d) They stay with Dick Hallorann at the Red Arrow Lodge
15. Who is it that Danny realizes is chasing him?
(a) Lloyd and Mr. Grady
(b) The woman in Room 217
(c) It is the evil force of the Overlook hiding behind his father's face
(d) The wasps from the nest Jack found
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack do when he gets out of the pantry?
2. Why does Jack think was the reason his father killed his mother?
3. Wendy is severely injured. How does she get out of the Overlook?
4. What happens to Danny when he plays in the concrete ring tunnels?
5. Who does Hallorann call for help to check on the Overlook?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)