|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Otto initially use to explain his lack of confidence?
2. How many squad members are actually named in Chapter 6?
3. According to Jefferson, what weapon does Forrest use a great deal in battle?
4. Who is Otto's commander?
5. What is Keller's rank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the importance of Otto's watch.
2. Where does Otto go when he retreats from the fighting and what does he do there?
3. How many people does Forrest lose from his cavalry unit in the Shiloh area battles? How do you know?
4. What is the weather like for the troop in Chapter 6? How do the soldiers know a battle is nearing?
5. Explain the conflict in Chapter 6 over use of the word "pretty."
6. Who explains Forrest's battle strategy and what is that strategy?
7. What is the terrain of the Shiloh area and how does it affect Forrest's troop there?
8. What does Jefferson witness from his lookout point, and what important information does he overhear?
9. What unnerves Otto most about the battle and why?
10. Discuss the difference of opinion between Corporal Keller and Sgt. Buterbaugh over the soldiers who left the battlefield.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is an antagonist? Discuss the antagonist of this novel in detail, relating the antagonist specifically to the type of conflict featured in Shiloh.
Essay Topic 2
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in this book. How did it flow? What role did the falling action have in the story and how did it work?
Essay Topic 3
What is Otto's gift given to him from his father as he leaves for war? What does it symbolize to Otto? Also be certain to include a definition for "symbolism" in your response.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)