|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads the cavalry attack in Jefferson's recount?
2. Why isn't the Shiloh area meant for a mounted cavalry attack?
3. How many squad members are actually named in Chapter 6?
4. Who survives the cannon attack that killed Walter and is with Otto and others in Chapter 4?
5. In whose cavalry does Jefferson serve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the disguise used by Jefferson and the others who accompany him to his watch post? How do they get those disguises?
2. Who explains Forrest's battle strategy and what is that strategy?
3. How many people does Forrest lose from his cavalry unit in the Shiloh area battles? How do you know?
4. Discuss Jefferson's thoughts and emotions when he sees the Union soldiers who had fled from battle earlier in the day.
5. Who is the first narrator of Chapter 6 and what childhood memory does he recall?
6. What does Otto's tale of the dog demonstrate about the weaponry used in the war and why?
7. What information does Armory provide regarding the wounded? How does he feel about his fellow squad members?
8. What convinces Otto to retreat from the fighting and how does he leave?
9. Explain the conflict in Chapter 6 over use of the word "pretty."
10. Where does Otto go when he retreats from the fighting and what does he do there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between tone and mood? Discuss both the tone and mood of the novel, making certain to define each.
Essay Topic 2
What is Otto's gift given to him from his father as he leaves for war? What does it symbolize to Otto? Also be certain to include a definition for "symbolism" in your response.
Essay Topic 3
What is a genre? Discuss the genre category that best describes this novel. Explain your answers.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)