|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the last speaker in Chapter 6 say about the deaths of two members of the 23rd Indiana?
2. Who is wounded from the 23rd Indiana as the squad retreats in Chapter 6?
3. How old was the boy when he left the orphanage?
4. Who is called a coward in Chapter 4?
5. After seeing the new recruits pointed out by Jefferson, who looks for a higher ranking officer to make a decision?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Armory provide regarding the wounded? How does he feel about his fellow squad members?
2. What is the weather like for the troop in Chapter 6? How do the soldiers know a battle is nearing?
3. What is the disguise used by Jefferson and the others who accompany him to his watch post? How do they get those disguises?
4. What realization does Otto make as he watches fresh troops arrive and what does he vow to do after the realization?
5. What does Otto's tale of the dog demonstrate about the weaponry used in the war and why?
6. Explain the circumstances that lead to Jefferson joining the army.
7. What conclusion does Forrest draw after joining Jefferson at his lookout point and what obstacle does he face?
8. As Otto develops a new resolve, how does he define/describe the meanings of and difference between "demoralized" and "coward?"
9. How many people does Forrest lose from his cavalry unit in the Shiloh area battles? How do you know?
10. How and why is it important for the reader to know exactly who is narrating in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an overview of the author's life and other works.
Essay Topic 2
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in the story. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)