|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Bedford born?
2. Where was the orphanage located that one of the men from Chapter 6 once lived?
3. How many squad members are represented as narrators in Chapter 6?
4. Who is the unit commander of the 23rd Indiana?
5. Why is a higher ranking officer needed after Jefferson points out the arrival of new recruits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unnerves Otto most about the battle and why?
2. Discuss the difference of opinion between Corporal Keller and Sgt. Buterbaugh over the soldiers who left the battlefield.
3. Discuss the importance of Otto's watch.
4. How do the members of the squad in Chapter 6 feel about each other? How does one narrator describe this?
5. Explain the circumstances that lead to Jefferson joining the army.
6. Discuss Jefferson's thoughts and emotions when he sees the Union soldiers who had fled from battle earlier in the day.
7. Explain the conflict in Chapter 6 over use of the word "pretty."
8. What realization does Otto make as he watches fresh troops arrive and what does he vow to do after the realization?
9. What is the terrain of the Shiloh area and how does it affect Forrest's troop there?
10. What does Otto's tale of the dog demonstrate about the weaponry used in the war and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Explain the conflict in detail, using both the definition and examples from Shiloh.
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 3
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of "Shiloh: a Novel by Shelby Foote". What does the reader learn from the exposition? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)