|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Luther's commander?
2. Who is Walter's commander?
3. What was Grant's family business?
4. What is Luther Dade's rank in Chapter 3?
5. Why doesn't Luther understand the attack plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information about General Grant does Walter provide? What makes Walter a credible source?
2. Explain three ways the Rebels made too much noise to make a surprise attack possible.
3. What event does Luther describe as "unreligious" and "obscene?"
4. What does Colonel Appler do when Sherman leaves his camp? Why?
5. Describe the letter from Johnston read to the troops as they march to battle.
6. Discuss the dream Palmer has the night before the major battle.
7. What does Luther initially think about fellow troop members lying on the ground? What does he come to realize?
8. What are the challenges of the swamp Luther and his troop face? What happens to General Cleburn?
9. Describe Luther's first hand-to-hand combat.
10. Describe General Johnston's death, as witnessed by Luther.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in this book. How did it flow? What role did the falling action have in the story and how did it work?
Essay Topic 2
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in the story. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the main and dynamic characters of this book. Who was the protagonist and why?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)