|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he joins the family business, who keeps Grant away from customers?
2. What makes it impossible for Luther's troop to stay in formation?
3. What kind of dog is with Walter?
4. Who yells at Luther's troop to close the gap in the swamp?
5. What is part of the daily drills for the Union soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Luther's first hand-to-hand combat.
2. What does Luther initially think about fellow troop members lying on the ground? What does he come to realize?
3. Describe Luther's dream the night before battle.
4. How do Luther and fellow troop members treat the ones who are lying on the ground?
5. Explain the Union battle line up.
6. Discuss the dream Palmer has the night before the major battle.
7. In the letter he is writing, how does Walter say his troop arrived at Shiloh and what problem did they face?
8. What event does Luther describe as "unreligious" and "obscene?"
9. Describe the letter from Johnston read to the troops as they march to battle.
10. What issue does Palmer see with the Waterloo-based strategy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a genre? Discuss the genre category that best describes this novel. Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to Shiloh.
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in the story. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)