|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes a letter for Confederate commanders to read to their troops as they march toward battle in Chapter 1?
2. Why is Luther excused from a second day of charging?
3. What, according to Walter, was Grant's nickname in their hometown?
4. Who has information about the history of the word "Shiloh?"
5. Why does Walter have guard duty at the beginning of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information about General Grant does Walter provide? What makes Walter a credible source?
2. Explain the Confederate strategy that is based on Waterloo.
3. What does Luther initially think about fellow troop members lying on the ground? What does he come to realize?
4. Describe Luther's first hand-to-hand combat.
5. What is a skirmish? How is it different from a battle?
6. How does General Grant go from being called "Useless" Grant to becoming a general in the war?
7. Explain three ways the Rebels made too much noise to make a surprise attack possible.
8. What Union leader does Palmer know and how does he know him?
9. Explain the Union battle line up.
10. What are the challenges of the swamp Luther and his troop face? What happens to General Cleburn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an overview of the author's life and other works.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the structure of this novel. Discuss the importance of the structure of this book. Why might the author have chosen to present the book in this structure?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between major and minor characters in literature. Discuss Palmer and Jefferson as major characters and select two other characters to analyze as minor characters. How do the minor characters fit the definition?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)