|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal do some of the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 see and shoot at during their march?
2. In which Biblical book is Shiloh mentioned?
3. Who is Luther's commander?
4. What does Walter do while on guard duty?
5. What is Palmer's job in the Confederate Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information about General Grant does Walter provide? What makes Walter a credible source?
2. Explain the Confederate strategy that is based on Waterloo.
3. Describe General Johnston's death, as witnessed by Luther.
4. What is Colonel Appler's main flaw? How does it affect his reputation?
5. How does General Grant go from being called "Useless" Grant to becoming a general in the war?
6. What does Sherman do with the information provided to him by Colonel Appler?
7. What Union leader does Palmer know and how does he know him?
8. Explain three ways the Rebels made too much noise to make a surprise attack possible.
9. What issue does Palmer see with the Waterloo-based strategy?
10. How do the other Confederate commanders feel about Johnston's recommendation to pull out and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between tone and mood? Discuss both the tone and mood of the novel, making certain to define each.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character description of Palmer. Was he a major character or minor one, static or dynamic? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor character.
Essay Topic 3
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in this book. How did it flow? What role did the falling action have in the story and how did it work?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)