|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sales career did Grant unsuccessfully try while staying out of the family business?
2. Where was Palmer when the Confederacy seceded from the Union?
3. What does Luther leave behind after his hand to hand combat?
4. What does Walter do while on guard duty?
5. Which general is Palmer's boss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What Union leader does Palmer know and how does he know him?
2. Explain the Union battle line up.
3. Explain three ways the Rebels made too much noise to make a surprise attack possible.
4. What does Luther initially think about fellow troop members lying on the ground? What does he come to realize?
5. What does Sherman do with the information provided to him by Colonel Appler?
6. Describe Luther's dream the night before battle.
7. What is the significance of the drum heard in Chapter 1? Why is it important?
8. Discuss the dream Palmer has the night before the major battle.
9. What issue does Palmer see with the Waterloo-based strategy?
10. How does Walter learn the meaning of Shiloh? Discuss the meaning of the word.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between tone and mood? Discuss both the tone and mood of the novel, making certain to define each.
Essay Topic 2
What is a genre? Discuss the genre category that best describes this novel. Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is an antagonist? Discuss the antagonist of this novel in detail, relating the antagonist specifically to the type of conflict featured in Shiloh.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)