|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says he prays God will forgive Lavery for his "pretty" remark?
2. What is Otto's rank?
3. How old was the boy when he left the orphanage?
4. Where is Jefferson sworn in as a cavalry recruit?
(a) The general store.
(b) Gayoso House.
(c) The county library.
(d) Magnolia Manor.
5. What, to Lavery, is "pretty?"
(a) Confederate girls.
(b) A Union girl.
(c) A nice meal.
(d) A skirmish in the Union's favor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose cavalry does Jefferson serve?
2. Why aren't members of the 23rd Indiana close?
3. Which member of the 23rd Indiana is dissatisfied and plans to ask to transfer from that squad?
4. How were Confederate soldiers buried by the Union?
5. Who is the unit commander of the 23rd Indiana?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name two of the narrators from Chapter 6. How many narrators does Chapter 6 have?
2. What does Otto's tale of the dog demonstrate about the weaponry used in the war and why?
3. Discuss Jefferson's thoughts and emotions when he sees the Union soldiers who had fled from battle earlier in the day.
4. Explain the circumstances that lead to Jefferson joining the army.
5. What is the weather like for the troop in Chapter 6? How do the soldiers know a battle is nearing?
6. What realization does Otto make as he watches fresh troops arrive and what does he vow to do after the realization?
7. As Otto develops a new resolve, how does he define/describe the meanings of and difference between "demoralized" and "coward?"
8. How and why is it important for the reader to know exactly who is narrating in Chapter 6?
9. What unnerves Otto most about the battle and why?
10. What is the terrain of the Shiloh area and how does it affect Forrest's troop there?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)