|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is a higher ranking officer needed after Jefferson points out the arrival of new recruits?
(a) To devise a battle strategy.
(b) A high ranking officer can officially pull the troops out.
(c) To order more reinforcements.
(d) To find a good hiding place.
2. Who does Otto learn was with Walter when he was blown up by a cannon?
3. What was the gift given to Otto when he joined the army?
(a) A quilt.
(b) A watch.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A ring.
4. How were Confederate soldiers buried by the Union?
(a) They were not buried at all.
(b) They were cremated.
(c) They were draped with branches.
(d) In mass graves.
5. What word does Otto initially use to explain his lack of confidence?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jefferson stand on to watch more soldiers arrive?
2. Who is wounded from the 23rd Indiana as the squad retreats in Chapter 6?
3. What is the unnerving sound that Otto describes?
4. What does Jefferson wear when he takes the others to see the new recruits?
5. Who thought all children came from Boston?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why is it important for the reader to know exactly who is narrating in Chapter 6?
2. What convinces Otto to retreat from the fighting and how does he leave?
3. What does Otto's tale of the dog demonstrate about the weaponry used in the war and why?
4. What conclusion does Forrest draw after joining Jefferson at his lookout point and what obstacle does he face?
5. What is the weather like for the troop in Chapter 6? How do the soldiers know a battle is nearing?
6. What information does Armory provide regarding the wounded? How does he feel about his fellow squad members?
7. Which squad do the narrators in Chapter 6 belong to and where are they camped?
8. Explain the circumstances that lead to Jefferson joining the army.
9. Where does Otto go when he retreats from the fighting and what does he do there?
10. What is the disguise used by Jefferson and the others who accompany him to his watch post? How do they get those disguises?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)