|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Jefferson sworn in as a cavalry recruit?
(a) Gayoso House.
(b) The general store.
(c) The county library.
(d) Magnolia Manor.
2. After seeing the new recruits pointed out by Jefferson, who looks for a higher ranking officer to make a decision?
3. What does Jefferson do when he gets kicked out of school?
(a) Joins the army right away.
(b) Starts a business.
(c) Goes straight home.
(d) Travels and tries several new jobs.
4. According to Jefferson, in what battle was Forrest wounded?
(b) Pittsburgh Landing.
(d) Fallen Timbers.
5. Who is the unit commander of the 23rd Indiana?
(a) Wallace Fountain.
(b) Harvey Kellums.
(c) Walter Fountain.
(d) Lew Wallace.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do soldiers arrive as Jefferson watches?
2. Why isn't the Shiloh area meant for a mounted cavalry attack?
3. Where are members of the 23rd Indiana camped?
4. What battle site is the 23rd Indiana camp near?
5. How does Jefferson feel about his military job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the importance of Otto's watch.
2. What does Otto's tale of the dog demonstrate about the weaponry used in the war and why?
3. Discuss the difference of opinion between Corporal Keller and Sgt. Buterbaugh over the soldiers who left the battlefield.
4. Discuss Jefferson's thoughts and emotions when he sees the Union soldiers who had fled from battle earlier in the day.
5. Which squad do the narrators in Chapter 6 belong to and where are they camped?
6. Explain the circumstances that lead to Jefferson joining the army.
7. Explain the conflict in Chapter 6 over use of the word "pretty."
8. As Otto develops a new resolve, how does he define/describe the meanings of and difference between "demoralized" and "coward?"
9. Who is the first narrator of Chapter 6 and what childhood memory does he recall?
10. What conclusion does Forrest draw after joining Jefferson at his lookout point and what obstacle does he face?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)