|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many new recruits does Jefferson report seeing?
(a) At least 12,000.
(b) At least 10,000.
(c) At least 6,000.
(d) At least 8,000.
2. Why does the 23rd Indiana have to march back on the first day of fighting?
(a) For exercise.
(b) For punishment for making too much noise.
(c) For punishment for not being prepared.
(d) To avoid marching directly into the hands of enemy troops.
3. What was the gift given to Otto when he joined the army?
(a) A quilt.
(b) A watch.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A ring.
4. Where was Bedford born?
(a) In southern Arkansas.
(b) In Boston.
(c) In middle Tennessee.
(d) In Missouri.
5. Which member of the 23rd Indiana is dissatisfied and plans to ask to transfer from that squad?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says he prays God will forgive Lavery for his "pretty" remark?
2. Who does Otto learn was with Walter when he was blown up by a cannon?
3. Who is wounded from the 23rd Indiana as the squad retreats in Chapter 6?
4. How does Otto describe the unnerving sound?
5. How many squad members are actually named in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinces Otto to retreat from the fighting and how does he leave?
2. How and why is it important for the reader to know exactly who is narrating in Chapter 6?
3. What is the terrain of the Shiloh area and how does it affect Forrest's troop there?
4. What does Otto's tale of the dog demonstrate about the weaponry used in the war and why?
5. What is the weather like for the troop in Chapter 6? How do the soldiers know a battle is nearing?
6. Who is the first narrator of Chapter 6 and what childhood memory does he recall?
7. How do the members of the squad in Chapter 6 feel about each other? How does one narrator describe this?
8. As Otto develops a new resolve, how does he define/describe the meanings of and difference between "demoralized" and "coward?"
9. Explain the conflict in Chapter 6 over use of the word "pretty."
10. Who explains Forrest's battle strategy and what is that strategy?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)