|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, according to his recollection, gave Otto a gift when he joined the army?
(a) His youngest brother.
(b) His oldest brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
2. How does Jefferson feel about his military job?
(a) He hates it.
(b) He is neutral about it.
(c) He enjoys it.
(d) It's the only job he could find.
3. Otto learns that Walter was blown up by a cannon. Where did the cannon land?
(a) On his desk.
(b) Behind his chair.
(c) At his feet.
(d) In his lap.
4. How do the infantry soldiers refer to the cannon detail, according to Otto?
(a) Tough as nails guys.
(b) Men of iron.
(c) Tough boys.
(d) Easy living boys.
5. Which member of the 23rd Indiana is dissatisfied and plans to ask to transfer from that squad?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says he prays God will forgive Lavery for his "pretty" remark?
2. What is Otto's decision at the end of his recount in Chapter 4?
3. Who does Jefferson first tell about the arrival of new recruits?
4. How many new recruits does Jefferson report seeing?
5. What is Otto's rank?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the weather like for the troop in Chapter 6? How do the soldiers know a battle is nearing?
2. Name two of the narrators from Chapter 6. How many narrators does Chapter 6 have?
3. What unnerves Otto most about the battle and why?
4. How many people does Forrest lose from his cavalry unit in the Shiloh area battles? How do you know?
5. Who explains Forrest's battle strategy and what is that strategy?
6. What does Otto's tale of the dog demonstrate about the weaponry used in the war and why?
7. Where does Otto go when he retreats from the fighting and what does he do there?
8. What realization does Otto make as he watches fresh troops arrive and what does he vow to do after the realization?
9. Explain the conflict in Chapter 6 over use of the word "pretty."
10. What convinces Otto to retreat from the fighting and how does he leave?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)