|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who assures Walter's commander that there are no Confederates nearer than Corinth?
2. What is the "rattle" noise that Walter hears in Chapter 2?
(a) A drum.
(c) A dog.
(d) Confederate gunfire.
3. In Chapter 1, who says that the only possibility of success the Confederates have is a surprise attack?
4. What makes some of the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 yell for joy?
(a) The war is cancelled.
(b) It begins to rain.
(c) The sun comes out.
5. What is the word that is unfinished in the letter in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Luther kill the Union soldier in hand to hand combat?
2. How do the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 test their guns?
3. When he joins the family business, who keeps Grant away from customers?
4. Who yells at Luther's troop to close the gap in the swamp?
5. How long has Walter been gone from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the dream Palmer has the night before the major battle.
2. Discuss Palmer's mother and father.
3. Why, according to Walter, do the soldiers in his troop want to fight at Shiloh?
4. Explain three ways the Rebels made too much noise to make a surprise attack possible.
5. What does Luther initially think about fellow troop members lying on the ground? What does he come to realize?
6. What information about General Grant does Walter provide? What makes Walter a credible source?
7. In the letter he is writing, how does Walter say his troop arrived at Shiloh and what problem did they face?
8. What is a skirmish? How is it different from a battle?
9. Describe the letter from Johnston read to the troops as they march to battle.
10. What is the significance of the drum heard in Chapter 1? Why is it important?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)