|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Luther think about the men he sees lying on the ground?
(a) That they have a stitch in their sides.
(b) That they have broken arms.
(c) That they have a crushed skull.
(d) That they have broken ribs.
2. What weapon does Luther use in hand to hand combat?
3. Who is Walter's commander?
4. What is the goal of Luther's troop, according to their attack plan?
(a) To capture at least 50 percent of the Union troop.
(b) To blow up the Union's steam boat.
(c) To push the Union back to the banks of the Tennessee River.
(d) To steal the cannons of the Union troop.
5. Where was Palmer when the Confederacy seceded from the Union?
(a) At Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
(b) At the Louisiana State Military Academy.
(c) Making a bank deposit.
(d) Sitting in a doctor's office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What practical item do many of the Confederate soldiers join the army without?
2. How does Palmer know Sherman?
3. Who writes a letter for Confederate commanders to read to their troops as they march toward battle in Chapter 1?
4. How long has Walter been gone from home?
5. What is wrong with the men that Luther sees lying on the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Luther and fellow troop members treat the ones who are lying on the ground?
2. Explain three ways the Rebels made too much noise to make a surprise attack possible.
3. Describe the letter from Johnston read to the troops as they march to battle.
4. How do the other Confederate commanders feel about Johnston's recommendation to pull out and why?
5. What issue does Palmer see with the Waterloo-based strategy?
6. What is Colonel Appler's main flaw? How does it affect his reputation?
7. What is the significance of the drum heard in Chapter 1? Why is it important?
8. How does General Grant go from being called "Useless" Grant to becoming a general in the war?
9. What Union leader does Palmer know and how does he know him?
10. Explain the Union battle line up.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)