|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Walter's commander?
2. What two words does Luther use to describe the war?
(a) Necessary and moral.
(b) Unreligious and obscene.
(c) Ethical and moral.
(d) Obscene and gory.
3. Where was Palmer when the Confederacy seceded from the Union?
(a) At the Louisiana State Military Academy.
(b) Sitting in a doctor's office.
(c) At Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
(d) Making a bank deposit.
4. Who assures Walter's commander that there are no Confederates nearer than Corinth?
5. Which regiment does Luther belong to?
(a) 22nd Iowa.
(b) 53rd Ohio.
(c) 6th Mississippi Rifle.
(d) 23rd Texan.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he joins the family business, who keeps Grant away from customers?
2. Who killed the animal that the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 see and shoot at during their march?
3. Who is constantly alerting higher commanders that there are enemy forces in the area?
4. What is the word that is unfinished in the letter in Chapter 2?
5. According to Walter, who has always had a soft spot for animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the other Confederate commanders feel about Johnston's recommendation to pull out and why?
2. What does Colonel Appler do when Sherman leaves his camp? Why?
3. Why, according to Walter, do the soldiers in his troop want to fight at Shiloh?
4. Discuss Palmer's mother and father.
5. How does Walter learn the meaning of Shiloh? Discuss the meaning of the word.
6. Describe General Johnston's death, as witnessed by Luther.
7. What Union leader does Palmer know and how does he know him?
8. What is a skirmish? How is it different from a battle?
9. What is the significance of the drum heard in Chapter 1? Why is it important?
10. Why do some troops hear different versions of the letter from Johnston as they march to battle?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)