|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the dog with Walter?
2. In Chapter 1, who is in favor of canceling the Confederate attack?
3. What is wrong with the men that Luther sees lying on the ground?
(a) They all have broken ribs.
(b) They all have broken legs.
(c) They are wounded or dead.
(d) They have a stitch in their sides.
4. What is the name of Walter's wife?
(b) Mary Ellen.
5. What does "Shiloh" mean?
(a) Evil, be gone.
(b) Money safe.
(c) Place of peace.
(d) Jesus lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes a letter for Confederate commanders to read to their troops as they march toward battle in Chapter 1?
2. What does Luther leave behind after his hand to hand combat?
3. To whom does Walter deliver his commander's message?
4. How does Palmer know Sherman?
5. Toward what location is the Confederate Army marching at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some troops hear different versions of the letter from Johnston as they march to battle?
2. Explain the Union battle line up.
3. What Union leader does Palmer know and how does he know him?
4. What does Colonel Appler do when Sherman leaves his camp? Why?
5. What is the significance of the drum heard in Chapter 1? Why is it important?
6. What is Colonel Appler's main flaw? How does it affect his reputation?
7. What information about General Grant does Walter provide? What makes Walter a credible source?
8. What is a skirmish? How is it different from a battle?
9. Describe Luther's dream the night before battle.
10. What event does Luther describe as "unreligious" and "obscene?"
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)