|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jefferson join the army?
(a) For tuition benefits.
(b) For the sizeable pension.
(c) To delay seeing his father.
(d) For the uniform.
2. According to Jefferson, what weapon does Forrest use a great deal in battle?
(a) A carving knife.
(b) A bayonet.
(c) A rifle.
(d) A sword.
3. After seeing the new recruits pointed out by Jefferson, who looks for a higher ranking officer to make a decision?
4. Who sees Pettigrew die?
5. What is Jefferson's military job?
6. According to Otto, what do some Union soldiers do as their attacks make little difference on the Confederates?
(a) Walk or run away.
(b) Load faster.
(c) Scream for help.
(d) Work harder.
7. What is Otto's job in the war?
(b) Drum and bugle.
8. Who says he prays God will forgive Lavery for his "pretty" remark?
9. Where are members of the 23rd Indiana camped?
(a) At Shiloh church.
(b) At Stoney Lonesome.
(c) At Corinth.
(d) On a river island.
10. What battle site is the 23rd Indiana camp near?
11. Where was the orphanage located that one of the men from Chapter 6 once lived?
(a) The Midwest.
(b) South Carolina.
(c) New York.
(d) New England.
12. Who is wounded from the 23rd Indiana as the squad retreats in Chapter 6?
13. Why does the 23rd Indiana have to march back on the first day of fighting?
(a) For exercise.
(b) To avoid marching directly into the hands of enemy troops.
(c) For punishment for not being prepared.
(d) For punishment for making too much noise.
14. Why isn't the Shiloh area meant for a mounted cavalry attack?
(a) It is too muddy.
(b) It is too flat.
(c) It has too many ravines and trees.
(d) It is too hilly.
15. Who survives the cannon attack that killed Walter and is with Otto and others in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Otto initially use to explain his lack of confidence?
2. Who is the unit commander of the 23rd Indiana?
3. Who describes the burial of Confederate soldiers?
4. What was the gift given to Otto when he joined the army?
5. How do soldiers arrive as Jefferson watches?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)