|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Walter have guard duty at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) It's his normal job.
(b) For fun.
(c) He was promoted to this job.
(d) As punishment.
2. What is the "rattle" noise that Walter hears in Chapter 2?
(a) A drum.
(c) A dog.
(d) Confederate gunfire.
3. What was Grant's family business?
4. In Chapter 1, who says that the only possibility of success the Confederates have is a surprise attack?
5. What does Palmer call the Confederate army from the vantage point of a ridge in Chapter 1?
(a) Tiny, marching ants.
(b) Large army in motion.
(c) Swimming sea of people.
(d) A hurricane of horror.
6. What is the name of the dog with Walter?
7. What Union noise does Johnston hear in Chapter 1?
(a) A bugle.
(b) A drum.
(c) A dog.
(d) A loud scream.
8. What makes the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 begin to question whether their guns work?
(a) The rain.
(b) Their own inability.
(c) Their lack of confidence.
(d) Their swords have fallen apart.
9. How old is Palmer when the book begins?
10. What makes it impossible for Luther's troop to stay in formation?
(a) Briars and underbrush.
(c) It's too dark to see.
(d) It's raining too hard to see.
11. What is the word that is unfinished in the letter in Chapter 2?
12. What, according to Walter, was Grant's nickname in their hometown?
(a) Uncle Sam.
(c) "Useless" Grant.
13. Who is Walter's commander?
14. Who is Luther's commander?
15. How was Grant reinstated into the army?
(a) He had to reapply and start over.
(b) He paid a bribe to get it.
(c) He made a campaign contribution to get it.
(d) A politician demanded reinstatement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter's commander make the aides and officers do?
2. What is the name of Walter's wife?
3. Who stopped maneuver practice to take a look at the dog?
4. What is Burt Tapley's ailment?
5. Which general is Palmer's boss?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)