|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which regiment does Walter Fountain belong?
(a) 35th New Orleans.
(b) 53rd Ohio.
(c) 32nd Alabama.
(d) 23rd Mississippi.
2. What is Burt Tapley's ailment?
(a) He has a broken arm.
(b) He has a crushed skull.
(c) He has a stitch in his side.
(d) He has a broken rib.
3. When he joins the family business, who keeps Grant away from customers?
(a) His brothers.
(b) His children.
(c) The customers themselves.
(d) His wife.
4. What sales career did Grant unsuccessfully try while staying out of the family business?
(a) Floral sales.
(b) Advertising sales.
(c) Funeral insurance sales.
(d) Real estate sales.
5. What is Walter's impression of the Confederate territories as he travels through them?
(a) They are not worth fighting for.
(b) They are lush, fertile territories.
(c) He wants to move there when the war ends.
(d) They can be improved with Union funds.
6. Why is Luther excused from a second day of charging?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is fired.
(c) He is wounded.
(d) He is promoted.
7. What is Luther's home state?
8. In Chapter 1, who says that the only possibility of success the Confederates have is a surprise attack?
9. What makes it impossible for Luther's troop to stay in formation?
(b) Briars and underbrush.
(c) It's raining too hard to see.
(d) It's too dark to see.
10. What finally cheers the Confederate soldiers on their march in the beginning of the novel?
(a) A deer.
11. Which regiment does Luther belong to?
(a) 6th Mississippi Rifle.
(b) 22nd Iowa.
(c) 53rd Ohio.
(d) 23rd Texan.
12. Who stopped maneuver practice to take a look at the dog?
13. What is Walter Fountain's military rank?
14. What does Walter do while on guard duty?
(a) Writes a letter.
(b) Plans his attack.
(d) Reads Tom Sawyer.
15. What is the word that is unfinished in the letter in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes a letter for Confederate commanders to read to their troops as they march toward battle in Chapter 1?
2. Who rides by, impressing Luther as always with his bearing and appearance?
3. Who is Luther's commander?
4. In Chapter 1, who is in favor of canceling the Confederate attack?
5. How does Palmer's father lose an arm?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)