|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Walter's wife?
(d) Mary Ellen.
2. In Chapter 1, who is in favor of canceling the Confederate attack?
3. How does Luther come to understand the attack plan?
(a) Someone draws it on the ground for him.
(b) He uses a dictionary.
(c) Someone who speaks English relays the message to him.
(d) He studies the manual.
4. How was Grant reinstated into the army?
(a) A politician demanded reinstatement.
(b) He had to reapply and start over.
(c) He made a campaign contribution to get it.
(d) He paid a bribe to get it.
5. Who yells at Luther's troop to close the gap in the swamp?
6. In Johnston's opinion in Chapter 1, what kind of attack would the Confederacy need to make in order to have any chance at all of success?
(a) Slow and loud.
7. Where was Palmer when the Confederacy seceded from the Union?
(a) Making a bank deposit.
(b) Sitting in a doctor's office.
(c) At the Louisiana State Military Academy.
(d) At Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
8. How does Palmer know Sherman?
(a) Sherman was Palmer's military academy instructor.
(b) Sherman is Palmer's uncle.
(c) Sherman fought with Palmer's uncle.
(d) Sherman was once Palmer's preacher.
9. How does Palmer learn so much about Johnston?
(a) He is Palmer's uncle.
(b) From his father.
(c) He was Palmer's teacher.
(d) From a book.
10. Whose horse sinks when Luther's troop goes through the swamp?
11. What kind of dog is with Walter?
(b) A Redbone.
12. What, according to Walter, was Grant's nickname in their hometown?
(c) Uncle Sam.
(d) "Useless" Grant.
13. What animal do some of the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 see and shoot at during their march?
(a) A raccoon.
(b) A dog.
(c) A bear.
(d) A deer.
14. What do Luther and the other soldiers take from the Union tents as they rush past?
(a) Guns and knives.
(b) Biscuits and other food.
15. What Union noise does Johnston hear in Chapter 1?
(a) A drum.
(b) A loud scream.
(c) A dog.
(d) A bugle.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Walter, how do the Union soldiers spend their days?
2. What does Walter do while on guard duty?
3. Toward what location is the Confederate Army marching at the beginning of the novel?
4. Whose mother dies in childbirth?
5. How should the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 have tested their guns?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)