|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Walter do while on guard duty?
(a) Plans his attack.
(c) Writes a letter.
(d) Reads Tom Sawyer.
2. What is Burt Tapley's ailment?
(a) He has a broken arm.
(b) He has a crushed skull.
(c) He has a broken rib.
(d) He has a stitch in his side.
3. What is Walter Fountain's title in the military?
4. What sales career did Grant unsuccessfully try while staying out of the family business?
(a) Floral sales.
(b) Funeral insurance sales.
(c) Advertising sales.
(d) Real estate sales.
5. How long has Walter been gone from home?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 6 weeks.
(c) 6 days.
(d) 16 days.
6. What does Luther's troop find past the Union tents?
(a) The river.
(b) A dog.
(c) Union soldiers lined up shoulder to shoulder.
(d) The cook's wagon.
7. What does the Union noise that Johnston hears in Chapter 1 signify?
(a) That it is time to stop for the day and set up camp.
(b) That it is time to about-face.
(c) That the Union is aware of the presence of the Confederates.
(d) That the enemy has beens spoted and to prepare for immediate battle.
8. What provokes Walter's commander to send him with a message to the general that an attack is imminent?
(a) Dreaming about a skirmish.
(b) A minor skirmish.
(c) He hears something in the woods.
(d) Seeing Union soldiers on the march.
9. Why doesn't Luther understand the attack plan?
(a) Because he couldn't hear it all.
(b) Because of the big words and tactics.
(c) Because it's written in Spanish.
(d) Because the commander couldn't talk loud enough.
10. How many Confederate commanders think the battle in Chapter 1 should be called off?
(a) None of them.
(b) Only 1.
(c) All of them.
(d) Three of five.
11. What practical item do many of the Confederate soldiers join the army without?
(b) A birth certificate.
(c) Life insurance.
(d) A weapon.
12. How does Luther kill the Union soldier in hand to hand combat?
(a) Stabbing his stomach.
(b) Stabbing his groin.
(c) Stabbing his heart.
(d) Stabbing his head.
13. How does Palmer's father lose an arm?
(a) Fighting in Texas.
(b) In a cotton gin.
(c) At the lumber mill.
14. What is Walter Fountain's military rank?
15. Who describes the condition of the Confederate soldiers as they march in the beginning of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is constantly alerting higher commanders that there are enemy forces in the area?
2. According to Walter, how do the Union soldiers spend their days?
3. How does Palmer know Sherman?
4. Who killed the animal that the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 see and shoot at during their march?
5. What speech issue does Luther's commander have?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)