|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Walter's impression of the Confederate territories as he travels through them?
(a) They are not worth fighting for.
(b) They can be improved with Union funds.
(c) He wants to move there when the war ends.
(d) They are lush, fertile territories.
2. Who is Walter's commander?
3. What does Luther's troop find past the Union tents?
(a) A dog.
(b) The river.
(c) Union soldiers lined up shoulder to shoulder.
(d) The cook's wagon.
4. What does Palmer call the Confederate army from the vantage point of a ridge in Chapter 1?
(a) Tiny, marching ants.
(b) A hurricane of horror.
(c) Swimming sea of people.
(d) Large army in motion.
5. How do the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 test their guns?
(a) By replacing them.
(b) By burning them.
(c) By firing them.
(d) By reloading them.
6. What weapon does Luther use in hand to hand combat?
7. To which regiment does Walter Fountain belong?
(a) 23rd Mississippi.
(b) 53rd Ohio.
(c) 32nd Alabama.
(d) 35th New Orleans.
8. What is the name of Walter's wife?
(d) Mary Ellen.
9. What is Walter Fountain's military rank?
10. How should the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 have tested their guns?
(a) By burning them.
(b) By replacing them.
(c) By reloading them.
(d) By firing them.
11. Why does Walter have guard duty at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) For fun.
(b) It's his normal job.
(c) He was promoted to this job.
(d) As punishment.
12. What is Luther Dade's rank in Chapter 3?
13. To whom does Walter deliver his commander's message?
14. What is Palmer's job in the Confederate Army?
15. What does Luther dream about the night before the battle at Shiloh?
(b) His girlfriend.
(c) His family at home.
(d) Cookies and cakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the dog with Walter?
2. When he joins the family business, who keeps Grant away from customers?
3. Whose horse sinks when Luther's troop goes through the swamp?
4. Who assures Walter's commander that there are no Confederates nearer than Corinth?
5. How does Luther kill the Union soldier in hand to hand combat?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)