|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who describes the condition of the Confederate soldiers as they march in the beginning of the novel?
2. What is wrong with the men that Luther sees lying on the ground?
(a) They are wounded or dead.
(b) They have a stitch in their sides.
(c) They all have broken legs.
(d) They all have broken ribs.
3. Whose horse sinks when Luther's troop goes through the swamp?
4. What does Walter's commander make the aides and officers do?
(a) Run five laps around the church site.
(b) Exercise each morning.
(c) Train along with the troops.
(d) Eat bugs along the trail.
5. To whom does Walter deliver his commander's message?
6. What does "Shiloh" mean?
(a) Evil, be gone.
(b) Money safe.
(c) Jesus lives.
(d) Place of peace.
7. What does the Union noise that Johnston hears in Chapter 1 signify?
(a) That the enemy has beens spoted and to prepare for immediate battle.
(b) That it is time to stop for the day and set up camp.
(c) That it is time to about-face.
(d) That the Union is aware of the presence of the Confederates.
8. What practical item do many of the Confederate soldiers join the army without?
(a) A weapon.
(b) Life insurance.
(c) A birth certificate.
9. What is the name of the dog with Walter?
10. What do Luther and the other soldiers take from the Union tents as they rush past?
(a) Guns and knives.
(c) Biscuits and other food.
11. What does Luther leave behind after his hand to hand combat?
(a) His nunchucks.
(b) His bayonet.
(c) His knife.
(d) His gun.
12. How does Luther kill the Union soldier in hand to hand combat?
(a) Stabbing his stomach.
(b) Stabbing his head.
(c) Stabbing his groin.
(d) Stabbing his heart.
13. What makes the march for the Confederate soldiers at the beginning of the novel so difficult?
(b) The river.
14. How long has Walter been gone from home?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 16 days.
(c) 6 weeks.
(d) 6 days.
15. Toward what location is the Confederate Army marching at the beginning of the novel?
(b) Pittsburg Landing.
(d) Corinth Landing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal do some of the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 see and shoot at during their march?
2. Who yells at Luther's troop to close the gap in the swamp?
3. What kind of dog is with Walter?
4. What does Walter do while on guard duty?
5. Where was Palmer when the Confederacy seceded from the Union?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)