|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Luther understand the attack plan?
(a) Because of the big words and tactics.
(b) Because the commander couldn't talk loud enough.
(c) Because it's written in Spanish.
(d) Because he couldn't hear it all.
2. What Union noise does Johnston hear in Chapter 1?
(a) A dog.
(b) A loud scream.
(c) A drum.
(d) A bugle.
3. How does Palmer's father lose an arm?
(a) Fighting in Texas.
(b) In a cotton gin.
(c) At the lumber mill.
4. What does Luther think about the men he sees lying on the ground?
(a) That they have broken arms.
(b) That they have broken ribs.
(c) That they have a stitch in their sides.
(d) That they have a crushed skull.
5. What is Walter Fountain's title in the military?
6. What animal do some of the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 see and shoot at during their march?
(a) A raccoon.
(b) A bear.
(c) A dog.
(d) A deer.
7. What sales career did Grant unsuccessfully try while staying out of the family business?
(a) Real estate sales.
(b) Advertising sales.
(c) Funeral insurance sales.
(d) Floral sales.
8. What does Luther dream about the night before the battle at Shiloh?
(a) His girlfriend.
(b) Cookies and cakes.
(d) His family at home.
9. How should the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 have tested their guns?
(a) By replacing them.
(b) By firing them.
(c) By reloading them.
(d) By burning them.
10. Who is Walter's commander?
11. What is the name of Walter's wife?
(b) Mary Ellen.
12. What is Walter Fountain's military rank?
13. What makes some of the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 yell for joy?
(b) The war is cancelled.
(c) The sun comes out.
(d) It begins to rain.
14. What speech issue does Luther's commander have?
(a) He uses sign language.
(b) A lisp.
(c) He doesn't speak English.
(d) He stutters.
15. Who is Luther's commander?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Walter, how do the Union soldiers spend their days?
2. How long has Walter been gone from home?
3. What was Grant's family business?
4. Who is constantly alerting higher commanders that there are enemy forces in the area?
5. According to Walter, who has always had a soft spot for animals?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)