|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who assures Walter's commander that there are no Confederates nearer than Corinth?
2. What does "Shiloh" mean?
(a) Place of peace.
(b) Money safe.
(c) Evil, be gone.
(d) Jesus lives.
3. Who describes the condition of the Confederate soldiers as they march in the beginning of the novel?
4. How do the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 test their guns?
(a) By reloading them.
(b) By firing them.
(c) By replacing them.
(d) By burning them.
5. In which Biblical book is Shiloh mentioned?
(b) Second Samuel.
6. Why isn't a surprise attack possible for the Confederates in Chapter 1?
(a) The Union soldiers can see them already.
(b) No one knows where the Union soldiers are.
(c) The generals talked and planned the battle.
(d) They have made too much noise.
7. What is Palmer's job in the Confederate Army?
8. Why doesn't Luther understand the attack plan?
(a) Because the commander couldn't talk loud enough.
(b) Because of the big words and tactics.
(c) Because he couldn't hear it all.
(d) Because it's written in Spanish.
9. How was Grant reinstated into the army?
(a) He paid a bribe to get it.
(b) A politician demanded reinstatement.
(c) He made a campaign contribution to get it.
(d) He had to reapply and start over.
10. Where was Palmer when the Confederacy seceded from the Union?
(a) At Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
(b) Making a bank deposit.
(c) At the Louisiana State Military Academy.
(d) Sitting in a doctor's office.
11. Who stopped maneuver practice to take a look at the dog?
12. What is the name of Walter's wife?
(b) Mary Ellen.
13. What is Walter's impression of the Confederate territories as he travels through them?
(a) They are not worth fighting for.
(b) He wants to move there when the war ends.
(c) They can be improved with Union funds.
(d) They are lush, fertile territories.
14. What is wrong with the men that Luther sees lying on the ground?
(a) They all have broken legs.
(b) They all have broken ribs.
(c) They are wounded or dead.
(d) They have a stitch in their sides.
15. What does Luther dream about the night before the battle at Shiloh?
(b) Cookies and cakes.
(c) His family at home.
(d) His girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Walter have guard duty at the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. What does Luther think about the men he sees lying on the ground?
3. What sales career did Grant unsuccessfully try while staying out of the family business?
4. What, according to Walter, was Grant's nickname in their hometown?
5. Toward what location is the Confederate Army marching at the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)