|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Johnston's opinion in Chapter 1, what kind of attack would the Confederacy need to make in order to have any chance at all of success?
(b) Slow and loud.
2. To which regiment does Walter Fountain belong?
(a) 53rd Ohio.
(b) 35th New Orleans.
(c) 32nd Alabama.
(d) 23rd Mississippi.
3. What is the argument of Confederate commanders who insist upon a battle in Chapter 1?
(a) That they must do it for the Confederacy.
(b) That the women will be disappointed.
(c) That the soldiers must earn their wages.
(d) That not fighting would be demoralizing.
4. What makes some of the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 yell for joy?
(a) It begins to rain.
(b) The war is cancelled.
(c) The sun comes out.
5. How does Luther come to understand the attack plan?
(a) He uses a dictionary.
(b) Someone who speaks English relays the message to him.
(c) Someone draws it on the ground for him.
(d) He studies the manual.
6. How do the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 test their guns?
(a) By replacing them.
(b) By burning them.
(c) By firing them.
(d) By reloading them.
7. What is the word that is unfinished in the letter in Chapter 2?
8. What does Luther think about the men he sees lying on the ground?
(a) That they have broken ribs.
(b) That they have broken arms.
(c) That they have a stitch in their sides.
(d) That they have a crushed skull.
9. What is Luther's home state?
10. In which Biblical book is Shiloh mentioned?
(a) Second Samuel.
11. What animal do some of the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 see and shoot at during their march?
(a) A bear.
(b) A raccoon.
(c) A dog.
(d) A deer.
12. What, according to Walter, was Grant's nickname in their hometown?
(c) "Useless" Grant.
(d) Uncle Sam.
13. How long has Walter been gone from home?
(a) 16 days.
(b) 6 weeks.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 6 days.
14. What is the goal of Luther's troop, according to their attack plan?
(a) To capture at least 50 percent of the Union troop.
(b) To push the Union back to the banks of the Tennessee River.
(c) To steal the cannons of the Union troop.
(d) To blow up the Union's steam boat.
15. What does "Shiloh" mean?
(a) Evil, be gone.
(b) Money safe.
(c) Jesus lives.
(d) Place of peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose horse sinks when Luther's troop goes through the swamp?
2. According to Walter, how do the Union soldiers spend their days?
3. According to Walter, who has always had a soft spot for animals?
4. In Chapter 1, who says that the only possibility of success the Confederates have is a surprise attack?
5. What speech issue does Luther's commander have?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)