|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Palmer learn so much about Johnston?
(a) From his father.
(b) He is Palmer's uncle.
(c) He was Palmer's teacher.
(d) From a book.
2. Why is Luther excused from a second day of charging?
(a) He is fired.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is promoted.
(d) He is wounded.
3. What finally cheers the Confederate soldiers on their march in the beginning of the novel?
(b) A deer.
4. How should the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 have tested their guns?
(a) By reloading them.
(b) By replacing them.
(c) By burning them.
(d) By firing them.
5. Toward what location is the Confederate Army marching at the beginning of the novel?
(b) Pittsburg Landing.
(d) Corinth Landing.
6. What, according to Walter, was Grant's nickname in their hometown?
(c) Uncle Sam.
(d) "Useless" Grant.
7. What is wrong with the men that Luther sees lying on the ground?
(a) They all have broken ribs.
(b) They are wounded or dead.
(c) They all have broken legs.
(d) They have a stitch in their sides.
8. How old is Palmer when the book begins?
9. What does Luther think about the men he sees lying on the ground?
(a) That they have a stitch in their sides.
(b) That they have broken arms.
(c) That they have a crushed skull.
(d) That they have broken ribs.
10. What sales career did Grant unsuccessfully try while staying out of the family business?
(a) Funeral insurance sales.
(b) Advertising sales.
(c) Floral sales.
(d) Real estate sales.
11. Who rides by, impressing Luther as always with his bearing and appearance?
12. How does Luther come to understand the attack plan?
(a) He studies the manual.
(b) He uses a dictionary.
(c) Someone draws it on the ground for him.
(d) Someone who speaks English relays the message to him.
13. To whom does Walter deliver his commander's message?
14. What does Luther's troop find past the Union tents?
(a) The river.
(b) The cook's wagon.
(c) Union soldiers lined up shoulder to shoulder.
(d) A dog.
15. What does "Shiloh" mean?
(a) Place of peace.
(b) Evil, be gone.
(c) Money safe.
(d) Jesus lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Luther and the other soldiers take from the Union tents as they rush past?
2. What is the goal of Luther's troop, according to their attack plan?
3. Who yells at Luther's troop to close the gap in the swamp?
4. What speech issue does Luther's commander have?
5. What was Grant's family business?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)