|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Luther find after his hand to hand combat?
(a) A knife.
(b) A ring.
(c) A gun.
(d) A bayonet.
2. What is Walter Fountain's title in the military?
3. Whose horse sinks when Luther's troop goes through the swamp?
4. How does Palmer's father lose an arm?
(a) In a cotton gin.
(b) Fighting in Texas.
(d) At the lumber mill.
5. What is Burt Tapley's ailment?
(a) He has a stitch in his side.
(b) He has a crushed skull.
(c) He has a broken rib.
(d) He has a broken arm.
6. What makes some of the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 yell for joy?
(b) It begins to rain.
(c) The sun comes out.
(d) The war is cancelled.
7. Who is Walter's commander?
8. Who assures Walter's commander that there are no Confederates nearer than Corinth?
9. How was Grant reinstated into the army?
(a) He had to reapply and start over.
(b) He paid a bribe to get it.
(c) He made a campaign contribution to get it.
(d) A politician demanded reinstatement.
10. What is Luther's home state?
11. What two words does Luther use to describe the war?
(a) Obscene and gory.
(b) Unreligious and obscene.
(c) Ethical and moral.
(d) Necessary and moral.
12. Where was Palmer when the Confederacy seceded from the Union?
(a) Making a bank deposit.
(b) At Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
(c) At the Louisiana State Military Academy.
(d) Sitting in a doctor's office.
13. How long has Walter been gone from home?
(a) 16 days.
(b) 6 days.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 6 weeks.
14. What does Palmer call the Confederate army from the vantage point of a ridge in Chapter 1?
(a) Swimming sea of people.
(b) Tiny, marching ants.
(c) Large army in motion.
(d) A hurricane of horror.
15. How old is Palmer when the book begins?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose mother dies in childbirth?
2. What speech issue does Luther's commander have?
3. What was Grant's family business?
4. How does Luther come to understand the attack plan?
5. What makes the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 begin to question whether their guns work?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)