|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Palmer's father lose an arm?
(a) Fighting in Texas.
(b) At the lumber mill.
(d) In a cotton gin.
2. According to Walter, how do the Union soldiers spend their days?
3. What makes some of the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 yell for joy?
(a) It begins to rain.
(b) The sun comes out.
(d) The war is cancelled.
4. Who rides by, impressing Luther as always with his bearing and appearance?
5. Whose mother dies in childbirth?
6. What does Luther's troop find past the Union tents?
(a) The river.
(b) A dog.
(c) Union soldiers lined up shoulder to shoulder.
(d) The cook's wagon.
7. In Johnston's opinion in Chapter 1, what kind of attack would the Confederacy need to make in order to have any chance at all of success?
(b) Slow and loud.
8. When he joins the family business, who keeps Grant away from customers?
(a) His wife.
(b) His children.
(c) The customers themselves.
(d) His brothers.
9. What is the argument of Confederate commanders who insist upon a battle in Chapter 1?
(a) That the soldiers must earn their wages.
(b) That the women will be disappointed.
(c) That they must do it for the Confederacy.
(d) That not fighting would be demoralizing.
10. To whom does Walter deliver his commander's message?
11. Who describes the condition of the Confederate soldiers as they march in the beginning of the novel?
12. In Chapter 1, who is in favor of canceling the Confederate attack?
13. What is the goal of Luther's troop, according to their attack plan?
(a) To capture at least 50 percent of the Union troop.
(b) To push the Union back to the banks of the Tennessee River.
(c) To blow up the Union's steam boat.
(d) To steal the cannons of the Union troop.
14. Who assures Walter's commander that there are no Confederates nearer than Corinth?
15. What does Walter do while on guard duty?
(a) Writes a letter.
(b) Reads Tom Sawyer.
(d) Plans his attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes it impossible for Luther's troop to stay in formation?
2. Who writes a letter for Confederate commanders to read to their troops as they march toward battle in Chapter 1?
3. What sales career did Grant unsuccessfully try while staying out of the family business?
4. What is Burt Tapley's ailment?
5. What Union noise does Johnston hear in Chapter 1?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)