|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the letter read to Confederate troops in Chapter 1, who is depending on the soldiers?
(a) The Confederate government.
(b) The slaves.
(c) The children.
(d) The women of the South.
2. What is the word that is unfinished in the letter in Chapter 2?
3. What is the name of Walter's wife?
(d) Mary Ellen.
4. In Chapter 1, who is in favor of canceling the Confederate attack?
5. What two words does Luther use to describe the war?
(a) Obscene and gory.
(b) Unreligious and obscene.
(c) Necessary and moral.
(d) Ethical and moral.
6. When he joins the family business, who keeps Grant away from customers?
(a) His brothers.
(b) His wife.
(c) The customers themselves.
(d) His children.
7. What speech issue does Luther's commander have?
(a) A lisp.
(b) He stutters.
(c) He doesn't speak English.
(d) He uses sign language.
8. What is the name of the dog with Walter?
9. What finally cheers the Confederate soldiers on their march in the beginning of the novel?
(b) A deer.
10. What, according to Walter, was Grant's nickname in their hometown?
(a) "Useless" Grant.
(c) Uncle Sam.
11. What is wrong with the men that Luther sees lying on the ground?
(a) They all have broken legs.
(b) They have a stitch in their sides.
(c) They all have broken ribs.
(d) They are wounded or dead.
12. Who has information about the history of the word "Shiloh?"
13. In Chapter 1, who says that the only possibility of success the Confederates have is a surprise attack?
14. What provokes Walter's commander to send him with a message to the general that an attack is imminent?
(a) Dreaming about a skirmish.
(b) A minor skirmish.
(c) Seeing Union soldiers on the march.
(d) He hears something in the woods.
15. What does Luther think about the men he sees lying on the ground?
(a) That they have broken ribs.
(b) That they have a crushed skull.
(c) That they have broken arms.
(d) That they have a stitch in their sides.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Luther excused from a second day of charging?
2. What does Walter do while on guard duty?
3. What is the goal of Luther's troop, according to their attack plan?
4. Why doesn't Luther understand the attack plan?
5. How long has Walter been gone from home?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)