|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose horse sinks when Luther's troop goes through the swamp?
2. How many Confederate commanders think the battle in Chapter 1 should be called off?
(a) Three of five.
(b) Only 1.
(c) None of them.
(d) All of them.
3. What do Luther and the other soldiers take from the Union tents as they rush past?
(b) Biscuits and other food.
(c) Guns and knives.
4. What does the Union noise that Johnston hears in Chapter 1 signify?
(a) That the enemy has beens spoted and to prepare for immediate battle.
(b) That the Union is aware of the presence of the Confederates.
(c) That it is time to stop for the day and set up camp.
(d) That it is time to about-face.
5. What is Walter Fountain's military rank?
6. What sales career did Grant unsuccessfully try while staying out of the family business?
(a) Floral sales.
(b) Advertising sales.
(c) Funeral insurance sales.
(d) Real estate sales.
7. What does Luther's troop find past the Union tents?
(a) A dog.
(b) The river.
(c) Union soldiers lined up shoulder to shoulder.
(d) The cook's wagon.
8. Who describes the condition of the Confederate soldiers as they march in the beginning of the novel?
9. What is Luther Dade's rank in Chapter 3?
10. What is the goal of Luther's troop, according to their attack plan?
(a) To steal the cannons of the Union troop.
(b) To push the Union back to the banks of the Tennessee River.
(c) To capture at least 50 percent of the Union troop.
(d) To blow up the Union's steam boat.
11. What does Palmer call the Confederate army from the vantage point of a ridge in Chapter 1?
(a) Swimming sea of people.
(b) A hurricane of horror.
(c) Tiny, marching ants.
(d) Large army in motion.
12. What does "Shiloh" mean?
(a) Money safe.
(b) Evil, be gone.
(c) Jesus lives.
(d) Place of peace.
13. What is Walter's impression of the Confederate territories as he travels through them?
(a) They can be improved with Union funds.
(b) He wants to move there when the war ends.
(c) They are lush, fertile territories.
(d) They are not worth fighting for.
14. What is the "rattle" noise that Walter hears in Chapter 2?
(a) A dog.
(c) A drum.
(d) Confederate gunfire.
15. How does Luther come to understand the attack plan?
(a) He studies the manual.
(b) Someone draws it on the ground for him.
(c) Someone who speaks English relays the message to him.
(d) He uses a dictionary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which general is Palmer's boss?
2. What is the name of Walter's wife?
3. Where was Palmer when the Confederacy seceded from the Union?
4. How does Luther kill the Union soldier in hand to hand combat?
5. To which regiment does Walter Fountain belong?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)