|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who describes the condition of the Confederate soldiers as they march in the beginning of the novel?
2. What makes the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 begin to question whether their guns work?
(a) Their swords have fallen apart.
(b) Their lack of confidence.
(c) Their own inability.
(d) The rain.
3. Whose mother dies in childbirth?
4. In Johnston's opinion in Chapter 1, what kind of attack would the Confederacy need to make in order to have any chance at all of success?
(c) Slow and loud.
5. What does Walter's commander make the aides and officers do?
(a) Train along with the troops.
(b) Run five laps around the church site.
(c) Eat bugs along the trail.
(d) Exercise each morning.
6. What two words does Luther use to describe the war?
(a) Ethical and moral.
(b) Obscene and gory.
(c) Unreligious and obscene.
(d) Necessary and moral.
7. What is Walter Fountain's title in the military?
8. What is the argument of Confederate commanders who insist upon a battle in Chapter 1?
(a) That the soldiers must earn their wages.
(b) That not fighting would be demoralizing.
(c) That the women will be disappointed.
(d) That they must do it for the Confederacy.
9. How should the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 have tested their guns?
(a) By replacing them.
(b) By burning them.
(c) By firing them.
(d) By reloading them.
10. In which Biblical book is Shiloh mentioned?
(c) Second Samuel.
11. What does the Union noise that Johnston hears in Chapter 1 signify?
(a) That it is time to about-face.
(b) That the enemy has beens spoted and to prepare for immediate battle.
(c) That it is time to stop for the day and set up camp.
(d) That the Union is aware of the presence of the Confederates.
12. Which regiment does Luther belong to?
(a) 53rd Ohio.
(b) 23rd Texan.
(c) 22nd Iowa.
(d) 6th Mississippi Rifle.
13. How long has Walter been gone from home?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 16 days.
(c) 6 days.
(d) 6 weeks.
14. What is Luther Dade's rank in Chapter 3?
15. When he joins the family business, who keeps Grant away from customers?
(a) His brothers.
(b) The customers themselves.
(c) His wife.
(d) His children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter do while on guard duty?
2. To which regiment does Walter Fountain belong?
3. What makes it impossible for Luther's troop to stay in formation?
4. Who is constantly alerting higher commanders that there are enemy forces in the area?
5. What is the "rattle" noise that Walter hears in Chapter 2?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)