|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Luther's troop find past the Union tents?
(a) The cook's wagon.
(b) Union soldiers lined up shoulder to shoulder.
(c) The river.
(d) A dog.
2. Who writes a letter for Confederate commanders to read to their troops as they march toward battle in Chapter 1?
3. In Chapter 1, who says that the only possibility of success the Confederates have is a surprise attack?
4. What is part of the daily drills for the Union soldiers?
(a) Spying on the Confederates.
(b) Changing locations.
(c) Making weapons.
(d) Being shot at.
5. What is the name of the dog with Walter?
6. Why is Luther excused from a second day of charging?
(a) He is fired.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is wounded.
(d) He is promoted.
7. Who assures Walter's commander that there are no Confederates nearer than Corinth?
8. How do the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 test their guns?
(a) By firing them.
(b) By replacing them.
(c) By burning them.
(d) By reloading them.
9. How many Confederate commanders think the battle in Chapter 1 should be called off?
(a) All of them.
(b) Only 1.
(c) None of them.
(d) Three of five.
10. What kind of dog is with Walter?
(b) A Redbone.
11. What practical item do many of the Confederate soldiers join the army without?
(a) A birth certificate.
(c) Life insurance.
(d) A weapon.
12. Toward what location is the Confederate Army marching at the beginning of the novel?
(c) Corinth Landing.
(d) Pittsburg Landing.
13. What is Walter Fountain's military rank?
14. What, according to Walter, was Grant's nickname in their hometown?
(a) "Useless" Grant.
(b) Uncle Sam.
15. To which regiment does Walter Fountain belong?
(a) 23rd Mississippi.
(b) 35th New Orleans.
(c) 32nd Alabama.
(d) 53rd Ohio.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Luther come to understand the attack plan?
2. What does the Union noise that Johnston hears in Chapter 1 signify?
3. What is the word that is unfinished in the letter in Chapter 2?
4. What do Luther and the other soldiers take from the Union tents as they rush past?
5. What weapon does Luther use in hand to hand combat?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)