|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the dog with Walter?
2. In which Biblical book is Shiloh mentioned?
(c) Second Samuel.
3. Who rides by, impressing Luther as always with his bearing and appearance?
4. What does Luther find after his hand to hand combat?
(a) A knife.
(b) A ring.
(c) A gun.
(d) A bayonet.
5. Who has information about the history of the word "Shiloh?"
6. Who yells at Luther's troop to close the gap in the swamp?
7. What makes it impossible for Luther's troop to stay in formation?
(b) It's raining too hard to see.
(c) It's too dark to see.
(d) Briars and underbrush.
8. What is the goal of Luther's troop, according to their attack plan?
(a) To steal the cannons of the Union troop.
(b) To capture at least 50 percent of the Union troop.
(c) To push the Union back to the banks of the Tennessee River.
(d) To blow up the Union's steam boat.
9. What, according to Walter, was Grant's nickname in their hometown?
(b) "Useless" Grant.
(d) Uncle Sam.
10. Who stopped maneuver practice to take a look at the dog?
11. To which regiment does Walter Fountain belong?
(a) 53rd Ohio.
(b) 32nd Alabama.
(c) 35th New Orleans.
(d) 23rd Mississippi.
12. How does Palmer's father lose an arm?
(a) At the lumber mill.
(c) Fighting in Texas.
(d) In a cotton gin.
13. What animal do some of the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 see and shoot at during their march?
(a) A dog.
(b) A raccoon.
(c) A bear.
(d) A deer.
14. What is wrong with the men that Luther sees lying on the ground?
(a) They have a stitch in their sides.
(b) They are wounded or dead.
(c) They all have broken legs.
(d) They all have broken ribs.
15. How long has Walter been gone from home?
(a) 6 days.
(b) 6 weeks.
(c) 16 days.
(d) 6 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word that is unfinished in the letter in Chapter 2?
2. Who is Luther's commander?
3. What is Walter Fountain's title in the military?
4. Where was Palmer when the Confederacy seceded from the Union?
5. What makes the march for the Confederate soldiers at the beginning of the novel so difficult?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)