|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two words does Luther use to describe the war?
(a) Necessary and moral.
(b) Obscene and gory.
(c) Ethical and moral.
(d) Unreligious and obscene.
2. Toward what location is the Confederate Army marching at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Pittsburg Landing.
(c) Corinth Landing.
3. What was Grant's family business?
4. What speech issue does Luther's commander have?
(a) He stutters.
(b) A lisp.
(c) He uses sign language.
(d) He doesn't speak English.
5. What Union noise does Johnston hear in Chapter 1?
(a) A dog.
(b) A drum.
(c) A bugle.
(d) A loud scream.
6. Who killed the animal that the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 see and shoot at during their march?
(b) No one.
7. How does Palmer know Sherman?
(a) Sherman was once Palmer's preacher.
(b) Sherman fought with Palmer's uncle.
(c) Sherman is Palmer's uncle.
(d) Sherman was Palmer's military academy instructor.
8. How many Confederate commanders think the battle in Chapter 1 should be called off?
(a) None of them.
(b) Only 1.
(c) All of them.
(d) Three of five.
9. What is Luther's home state?
10. To which regiment does Walter Fountain belong?
(a) 23rd Mississippi.
(b) 32nd Alabama.
(c) 35th New Orleans.
(d) 53rd Ohio.
11. Who yells at Luther's troop to close the gap in the swamp?
12. How was Grant reinstated into the army?
(a) He had to reapply and start over.
(b) A politician demanded reinstatement.
(c) He made a campaign contribution to get it.
(d) He paid a bribe to get it.
13. What is Walter Fountain's title in the military?
14. In which Biblical book is Shiloh mentioned?
(c) Second Samuel.
15. What does Luther think about the men he sees lying on the ground?
(a) That they have broken arms.
(b) That they have a stitch in their sides.
(c) That they have a crushed skull.
(d) That they have broken ribs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 begin to question whether their guns work?
2. Who is Luther's commander?
3. What practical item do many of the Confederate soldiers join the army without?
4. What makes it impossible for Luther's troop to stay in formation?
5. Who stopped maneuver practice to take a look at the dog?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)