|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Luther's commander?
2. In which Biblical book is Shiloh mentioned?
(b) Second Samuel.
3. What does Luther leave behind after his hand to hand combat?
(a) His gun.
(b) His nunchucks.
(c) His bayonet.
(d) His knife.
4. How old is Palmer when the book begins?
5. What makes it impossible for Luther's troop to stay in formation?
(a) Briars and underbrush.
(b) It's too dark to see.
(d) It's raining too hard to see.
6. How does Palmer's father lose an arm?
(a) In a cotton gin.
(b) At the lumber mill.
(d) Fighting in Texas.
7. What is part of the daily drills for the Union soldiers?
(a) Changing locations.
(b) Making weapons.
(c) Spying on the Confederates.
(d) Being shot at.
8. How was Grant reinstated into the army?
(a) He paid a bribe to get it.
(b) He made a campaign contribution to get it.
(c) He had to reapply and start over.
(d) A politician demanded reinstatement.
9. How does Luther kill the Union soldier in hand to hand combat?
(a) Stabbing his head.
(b) Stabbing his stomach.
(c) Stabbing his heart.
(d) Stabbing his groin.
10. What provokes Walter's commander to send him with a message to the general that an attack is imminent?
(a) He hears something in the woods.
(b) A minor skirmish.
(c) Seeing Union soldiers on the march.
(d) Dreaming about a skirmish.
11. What does Luther find after his hand to hand combat?
(a) A knife.
(b) A gun.
(c) A bayonet.
(d) A ring.
12. What does Luther think about the men he sees lying on the ground?
(a) That they have broken ribs.
(b) That they have broken arms.
(c) That they have a stitch in their sides.
(d) That they have a crushed skull.
13. Whose mother dies in childbirth?
14. Who stopped maneuver practice to take a look at the dog?
15. What makes the march for the Confederate soldiers at the beginning of the novel so difficult?
(d) The river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two words does Luther use to describe the war?
2. What does Palmer call the Confederate army from the vantage point of a ridge in Chapter 1?
3. Who is Walter's commander?
4. How long has Walter been gone from home?
5. What weapon does Luther use in hand to hand combat?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)