|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Palmer know Sherman?
(a) Sherman was Palmer's military academy instructor.
(b) Sherman was once Palmer's preacher.
(c) Sherman is Palmer's uncle.
(d) Sherman fought with Palmer's uncle.
2. Why doesn't Luther understand the attack plan?
(a) Because of the big words and tactics.
(b) Because the commander couldn't talk loud enough.
(c) Because he couldn't hear it all.
(d) Because it's written in Spanish.
3. In which Biblical book is Shiloh mentioned?
(a) Second Samuel.
4. How do the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 test their guns?
(a) By firing them.
(b) By replacing them.
(c) By burning them.
(d) By reloading them.
5. What does the Union noise that Johnston hears in Chapter 1 signify?
(a) That the enemy has beens spoted and to prepare for immediate battle.
(b) That the Union is aware of the presence of the Confederates.
(c) That it is time to about-face.
(d) That it is time to stop for the day and set up camp.
6. What is the word that is unfinished in the letter in Chapter 2?
7. What is Luther's home state?
8. Who describes the condition of the Confederate soldiers as they march in the beginning of the novel?
9. What do Luther and the other soldiers take from the Union tents as they rush past?
(a) Guns and knives.
(d) Biscuits and other food.
10. To whom does Walter deliver his commander's message?
11. What is Burt Tapley's ailment?
(a) He has a crushed skull.
(b) He has a broken rib.
(c) He has a stitch in his side.
(d) He has a broken arm.
12. Which general is Palmer's boss?
13. Why is Luther excused from a second day of charging?
(a) He is promoted.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is wounded.
(d) He is fired.
14. Who assures Walter's commander that there are no Confederates nearer than Corinth?
15. Who stopped maneuver practice to take a look at the dog?
Short Answer Questions
1. What practical item do many of the Confederate soldiers join the army without?
2. Who is Walter's commander?
3. Who killed the animal that the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 see and shoot at during their march?
4. What makes some of the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 yell for joy?
5. How old is Palmer when the book begins?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)