|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of dog is with Walter?
(b) A Redbone.
2. What weapon does Luther use in hand to hand combat?
3. What is Luther Dade's rank in Chapter 3?
4. Whose horse sinks when Luther's troop goes through the swamp?
5. What provokes Walter's commander to send him with a message to the general that an attack is imminent?
(a) He hears something in the woods.
(b) Seeing Union soldiers on the march.
(c) Dreaming about a skirmish.
(d) A minor skirmish.
6. What is Burt Tapley's ailment?
(a) He has a crushed skull.
(b) He has a stitch in his side.
(c) He has a broken arm.
(d) He has a broken rib.
7. What makes the march for the Confederate soldiers at the beginning of the novel so difficult?
(b) The river.
8. In Chapter 1, who says that the only possibility of success the Confederates have is a surprise attack?
9. What speech issue does Luther's commander have?
(a) He stutters.
(b) He doesn't speak English.
(c) A lisp.
(d) He uses sign language.
10. According to Walter, who has always had a soft spot for animals?
11. How does Luther come to understand the attack plan?
(a) He studies the manual.
(b) Someone who speaks English relays the message to him.
(c) Someone draws it on the ground for him.
(d) He uses a dictionary.
12. In Chapter 1, who is in favor of canceling the Confederate attack?
13. What does Luther leave behind after his hand to hand combat?
(a) His knife.
(b) His nunchucks.
(c) His gun.
(d) His bayonet.
14. Why does Walter have guard duty at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) He was promoted to this job.
(b) It's his normal job.
(c) As punishment.
(d) For fun.
15. What is Walter Fountain's title in the military?
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Grant reinstated into the army?
2. Who stopped maneuver practice to take a look at the dog?
3. Where was Palmer when the Confederacy seceded from the Union?
4. Who is Luther's commander?
5. What practical item do many of the Confederate soldiers join the army without?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)