|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which regiment does Walter Fountain belong?
(a) 53rd Ohio.
(b) 23rd Mississippi.
(c) 35th New Orleans.
(d) 32nd Alabama.
2. What does Luther think about the men he sees lying on the ground?
(a) That they have a stitch in their sides.
(b) That they have broken ribs.
(c) That they have a crushed skull.
(d) That they have broken arms.
3. How many Confederate commanders think the battle in Chapter 1 should be called off?
(a) Only 1.
(b) None of them.
(c) Three of five.
(d) All of them.
4. According to Walter, how do the Union soldiers spend their days?
5. When he joins the family business, who keeps Grant away from customers?
(a) His brothers.
(b) His wife.
(c) His children.
(d) The customers themselves.
6. How does Palmer know Sherman?
(a) Sherman fought with Palmer's uncle.
(b) Sherman is Palmer's uncle.
(c) Sherman was once Palmer's preacher.
(d) Sherman was Palmer's military academy instructor.
7. What do Luther and the other soldiers take from the Union tents as they rush past?
(a) Guns and knives.
(b) Biscuits and other food.
8. What is Luther's home state?
9. Whose mother dies in childbirth?
10. According to Walter, who has always had a soft spot for animals?
11. How does Palmer's father lose an arm?
(a) At the lumber mill.
(b) Fighting in Texas.
(d) In a cotton gin.
12. What finally cheers the Confederate soldiers on their march in the beginning of the novel?
(a) A deer.
13. What is Walter Fountain's title in the military?
14. Who is Luther's commander?
15. Why isn't a surprise attack possible for the Confederates in Chapter 1?
(a) They have made too much noise.
(b) The generals talked and planned the battle.
(c) No one knows where the Union soldiers are.
(d) The Union soldiers can see them already.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Union noise does Johnston hear in Chapter 1?
2. Where was Palmer when the Confederacy seceded from the Union?
3. What weapon does Luther use in hand to hand combat?
4. What does Luther dream about the night before the battle at Shiloh?
5. What is the "rattle" noise that Walter hears in Chapter 2?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)