|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Union noise does Johnston hear in Chapter 1?
(a) A drum.
(b) A dog.
(c) A loud scream.
(d) A bugle.
2. What is the "rattle" noise that Walter hears in Chapter 2?
(a) A dog.
(b) A drum.
(c) Confederate gunfire.
3. According to the letter read to Confederate troops in Chapter 1, who is depending on the soldiers?
(a) The slaves.
(b) The women of the South.
(c) The Confederate government.
(d) The children.
4. How many Confederate commanders think the battle in Chapter 1 should be called off?
(a) Three of five.
(b) Only 1.
(c) All of them.
(d) None of them.
5. What does Walter do while on guard duty?
(a) Writes a letter.
(c) Plans his attack.
(d) Reads Tom Sawyer.
6. What does Luther dream about the night before the battle at Shiloh?
(b) His girlfriend.
(c) Cookies and cakes.
(d) His family at home.
7. Which regiment does Luther belong to?
(a) 23rd Texan.
(b) 53rd Ohio.
(c) 22nd Iowa.
(d) 6th Mississippi Rifle.
8. What kind of dog is with Walter?
(d) A Redbone.
9. Why isn't a surprise attack possible for the Confederates in Chapter 1?
(a) The Union soldiers can see them already.
(b) No one knows where the Union soldiers are.
(c) They have made too much noise.
(d) The generals talked and planned the battle.
10. In Chapter 1, who says that the only possibility of success the Confederates have is a surprise attack?
11. What does Palmer call the Confederate army from the vantage point of a ridge in Chapter 1?
(a) Large army in motion.
(b) A hurricane of horror.
(c) Tiny, marching ants.
(d) Swimming sea of people.
12. What is the goal of Luther's troop, according to their attack plan?
(a) To steal the cannons of the Union troop.
(b) To capture at least 50 percent of the Union troop.
(c) To blow up the Union's steam boat.
(d) To push the Union back to the banks of the Tennessee River.
13. What is Walter Fountain's military rank?
14. Who has information about the history of the word "Shiloh?"
15. What is Luther Dade's rank in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose mother dies in childbirth?
2. How does Palmer's father lose an arm?
3. How long has Walter been gone from home?
4. What two words does Luther use to describe the war?
5. What is the name of the dog with Walter?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)