|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Walter do while on guard duty?
(b) Writes a letter.
(c) Reads Tom Sawyer.
(d) Plans his attack.
2. What makes the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 begin to question whether their guns work?
(a) Their swords have fallen apart.
(b) The rain.
(c) Their own inability.
(d) Their lack of confidence.
3. What is the word that is unfinished in the letter in Chapter 2?
4. Which regiment does Luther belong to?
(a) 53rd Ohio.
(b) 6th Mississippi Rifle.
(c) 23rd Texan.
(d) 22nd Iowa.
5. According to Walter, who has always had a soft spot for animals?
6. Who stopped maneuver practice to take a look at the dog?
7. How long has Walter been gone from home?
(a) 6 weeks.
(b) 6 days.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 16 days.
8. Who has information about the history of the word "Shiloh?"
9. What is Luther Dade's rank in Chapter 3?
10. Who rides by, impressing Luther as always with his bearing and appearance?
11. Whose mother dies in childbirth?
12. Who yells at Luther's troop to close the gap in the swamp?
13. What does Luther's troop find past the Union tents?
(a) The river.
(b) A dog.
(c) The cook's wagon.
(d) Union soldiers lined up shoulder to shoulder.
14. Toward what location is the Confederate Army marching at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Corinth Landing.
(d) Pittsburg Landing.
15. What practical item do many of the Confederate soldiers join the army without?
(a) Life insurance.
(b) A birth certificate.
(c) A weapon.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which Biblical book is Shiloh mentioned?
2. What provokes Walter's commander to send him with a message to the general that an attack is imminent?
3. What is Palmer's job in the Confederate Army?
4. What kind of dog is with Walter?
5. What finally cheers the Confederate soldiers on their march in the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)