|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose mother dies in childbirth?
2. What Union noise does Johnston hear in Chapter 1?
(a) A drum.
(b) A loud scream.
(c) A bugle.
(d) A dog.
3. What speech issue does Luther's commander have?
(a) A lisp.
(b) He stutters.
(c) He uses sign language.
(d) He doesn't speak English.
4. Who assures Walter's commander that there are no Confederates nearer than Corinth?
5. What does Luther find after his hand to hand combat?
(a) A knife.
(b) A gun.
(c) A bayonet.
(d) A ring.
6. What two words does Luther use to describe the war?
(a) Ethical and moral.
(b) Necessary and moral.
(c) Obscene and gory.
(d) Unreligious and obscene.
7. Why isn't a surprise attack possible for the Confederates in Chapter 1?
(a) They have made too much noise.
(b) No one knows where the Union soldiers are.
(c) The Union soldiers can see them already.
(d) The generals talked and planned the battle.
8. What does Luther dream about the night before the battle at Shiloh?
(a) His girlfriend.
(c) Cookies and cakes.
(d) His family at home.
9. According to Walter, who has always had a soft spot for animals?
10. How does Luther come to understand the attack plan?
(a) Someone draws it on the ground for him.
(b) He uses a dictionary.
(c) He studies the manual.
(d) Someone who speaks English relays the message to him.
11. What makes some of the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 yell for joy?
(a) The war is cancelled.
(b) The sun comes out.
(d) It begins to rain.
12. What is the argument of Confederate commanders who insist upon a battle in Chapter 1?
(a) That they must do it for the Confederacy.
(b) That the women will be disappointed.
(c) That not fighting would be demoralizing.
(d) That the soldiers must earn their wages.
13. According to the letter read to Confederate troops in Chapter 1, who is depending on the soldiers?
(a) The slaves.
(b) The women of the South.
(c) The Confederate government.
(d) The children.
14. What does "Shiloh" mean?
(a) Jesus lives.
(b) Money safe.
(c) Evil, be gone.
(d) Place of peace.
15. What is Burt Tapley's ailment?
(a) He has a crushed skull.
(b) He has a broken rib.
(c) He has a broken arm.
(d) He has a stitch in his side.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Grant reinstated into the army?
2. Why is Luther excused from a second day of charging?
3. How should the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 have tested their guns?
4. How do the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 test their guns?
5. Who is constantly alerting higher commanders that there are enemy forces in the area?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)