|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Luther kill the Union soldier in hand to hand combat?
(a) Stabbing his groin.
(b) Stabbing his head.
(c) Stabbing his heart.
(d) Stabbing his stomach.
2. What two words does Luther use to describe the war?
(a) Unreligious and obscene.
(b) Ethical and moral.
(c) Necessary and moral.
(d) Obscene and gory.
3. Why isn't a surprise attack possible for the Confederates in Chapter 1?
(a) The generals talked and planned the battle.
(b) The Union soldiers can see them already.
(c) No one knows where the Union soldiers are.
(d) They have made too much noise.
4. What does Luther leave behind after his hand to hand combat?
(a) His nunchucks.
(b) His bayonet.
(c) His gun.
(d) His knife.
5. How long has Walter been gone from home?
(a) 6 days.
(b) 6 weeks.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 16 days.
6. What is Walter Fountain's title in the military?
7. What is the argument of Confederate commanders who insist upon a battle in Chapter 1?
(a) That they must do it for the Confederacy.
(b) That the soldiers must earn their wages.
(c) That not fighting would be demoralizing.
(d) That the women will be disappointed.
8. What makes the march for the Confederate soldiers at the beginning of the novel so difficult?
(a) The river.
9. What is Burt Tapley's ailment?
(a) He has a stitch in his side.
(b) He has a broken rib.
(c) He has a crushed skull.
(d) He has a broken arm.
10. Which general is Palmer's boss?
11. According to Walter, how do the Union soldiers spend their days?
12. According to the letter read to Confederate troops in Chapter 1, who is depending on the soldiers?
(a) The women of the South.
(b) The slaves.
(c) The children.
(d) The Confederate government.
13. What makes the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 begin to question whether their guns work?
(a) Their own inability.
(b) Their swords have fallen apart.
(c) The rain.
(d) Their lack of confidence.
14. When he joins the family business, who keeps Grant away from customers?
(a) His wife.
(b) The customers themselves.
(c) His brothers.
(d) His children.
15. What is the name of the dog with Walter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What practical item do many of the Confederate soldiers join the army without?
2. According to Walter, who has always had a soft spot for animals?
3. Where was Palmer when the Confederacy seceded from the Union?
4. Who writes a letter for Confederate commanders to read to their troops as they march toward battle in Chapter 1?
5. What speech issue does Luther's commander have?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)