|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Walter's impression of the Confederate territories as he travels through them?
(a) He wants to move there when the war ends.
(b) They are lush, fertile territories.
(c) They can be improved with Union funds.
(d) They are not worth fighting for.
2. What does the Union noise that Johnston hears in Chapter 1 signify?
(a) That the Union is aware of the presence of the Confederates.
(b) That the enemy has beens spoted and to prepare for immediate battle.
(c) That it is time to stop for the day and set up camp.
(d) That it is time to about-face.
3. How does Palmer learn so much about Johnston?
(a) From his father.
(b) He was Palmer's teacher.
(c) He is Palmer's uncle.
(d) From a book.
4. Which regiment does Luther belong to?
(a) 22nd Iowa.
(b) 53rd Ohio.
(c) 6th Mississippi Rifle.
(d) 23rd Texan.
5. What makes it impossible for Luther's troop to stay in formation?
(a) Briars and underbrush.
(c) It's raining too hard to see.
(d) It's too dark to see.
6. In which Biblical book is Shiloh mentioned?
(b) Second Samuel.
7. Why doesn't Luther understand the attack plan?
(a) Because he couldn't hear it all.
(b) Because the commander couldn't talk loud enough.
(c) Because it's written in Spanish.
(d) Because of the big words and tactics.
8. Who yells at Luther's troop to close the gap in the swamp?
9. Who assures Walter's commander that there are no Confederates nearer than Corinth?
10. What does Luther leave behind after his hand to hand combat?
(a) His gun.
(b) His knife.
(c) His bayonet.
(d) His nunchucks.
11. Whose mother dies in childbirth?
12. What does Luther find after his hand to hand combat?
(a) A ring.
(b) A knife.
(c) A bayonet.
(d) A gun.
13. What is Burt Tapley's ailment?
(a) He has a stitch in his side.
(b) He has a broken rib.
(c) He has a crushed skull.
(d) He has a broken arm.
14. What makes some of the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 yell for joy?
(a) The sun comes out.
(b) It begins to rain.
(c) The war is cancelled.
15. Who rides by, impressing Luther as always with his bearing and appearance?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes a letter for Confederate commanders to read to their troops as they march toward battle in Chapter 1?
2. Who is constantly alerting higher commanders that there are enemy forces in the area?
3. What does Luther dream about the night before the battle at Shiloh?
4. What is the name of the dog with Walter?
5. Who is Walter's commander?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)