|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose mother dies in childbirth?
2. What animal do some of the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 see and shoot at during their march?
(a) A bear.
(b) A dog.
(c) A deer.
(d) A raccoon.
3. Who is Luther's commander?
4. What does Luther leave behind after his hand to hand combat?
(a) His nunchucks.
(b) His bayonet.
(c) His knife.
(d) His gun.
5. What is the argument of Confederate commanders who insist upon a battle in Chapter 1?
(a) That they must do it for the Confederacy.
(b) That the soldiers must earn their wages.
(c) That not fighting would be demoralizing.
(d) That the women will be disappointed.
6. What makes the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 begin to question whether their guns work?
(a) Their own inability.
(b) The rain.
(c) Their swords have fallen apart.
(d) Their lack of confidence.
7. What is the goal of Luther's troop, according to their attack plan?
(a) To steal the cannons of the Union troop.
(b) To push the Union back to the banks of the Tennessee River.
(c) To blow up the Union's steam boat.
(d) To capture at least 50 percent of the Union troop.
8. What provokes Walter's commander to send him with a message to the general that an attack is imminent?
(a) Dreaming about a skirmish.
(b) He hears something in the woods.
(c) A minor skirmish.
(d) Seeing Union soldiers on the march.
9. Who writes a letter for Confederate commanders to read to their troops as they march toward battle in Chapter 1?
10. In Chapter 1, who says that the only possibility of success the Confederates have is a surprise attack?
11. What speech issue does Luther's commander have?
(a) He stutters.
(b) He doesn't speak English.
(c) He uses sign language.
(d) A lisp.
12. Why isn't a surprise attack possible for the Confederates in Chapter 1?
(a) No one knows where the Union soldiers are.
(b) The generals talked and planned the battle.
(c) The Union soldiers can see them already.
(d) They have made too much noise.
13. What is the name of Walter's wife?
(b) Mary Ellen.
14. Who has information about the history of the word "Shiloh?"
15. Who rides by, impressing Luther as always with his bearing and appearance?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Confederate soldiers in Chapter 1 test their guns?
2. What is Luther Dade's rank in Chapter 3?
3. What is the "rattle" noise that Walter hears in Chapter 2?
4. What was Grant's family business?
5. What is Palmer's job in the Confederate Army?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)