|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why isn't a surprise attack possible for the Confederates in Chapter 1?
(a) The generals talked and planned the battle.
(b) No one knows where the Union soldiers are.
(c) They have made too much noise.
(d) The Union soldiers can see them already.
2. What does Palmer call the Confederate army from the vantage point of a ridge in Chapter 1?
(a) Swimming sea of people.
(b) Large army in motion.
(c) Tiny, marching ants.
(d) A hurricane of horror.
3. Where was Palmer when the Confederacy seceded from the Union?
(a) At the Louisiana State Military Academy.
(b) At Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
(c) Making a bank deposit.
(d) Sitting in a doctor's office.
4. Who describes the condition of the Confederate soldiers as they march in the beginning of the novel?
5. What practical item do many of the Confederate soldiers join the army without?
(a) A weapon.
(b) Life insurance.
(d) A birth certificate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward what location is the Confederate Army marching at the beginning of the novel?
2. What does "Shiloh" mean?
3. Who has information about the history of the word "Shiloh?"
4. Who is Walter's commander?
5. What is the argument of Confederate commanders who insist upon a battle in Chapter 1?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)