• The Confederate Army marches toward Pittsburg Landing.
• Lieutenant Palmer Metcalfe narrates the chapter and describes the condition of the Confederate soldiers as they march.
• Palmer reports that when the skies clear and the soldiers see sun, many of them cheer. The road has been very difficult, especially with all the rain. Sun was a welcomed relief.
• Palmer reports that a group of commanders stop to talk to General Johnston to plan strategy.
• Johnston is in favor of canceling the attack at Shiloh.
• Johnston says the troops don't have a chance to make a surprise attack given all the noise the troops have made.
• Johnston hears a drum in the distance and sends someone to silence it.
• The messenger returns and says that the drum is a Union drum.
• As Johnston considers the fact that the Union knows his troops' proximity, the Union fires the first shots and...
This section contains 1,794 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)