|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Edwin in “A New-Wave Format”?
2. What is Nancy’s married name in “Nancy Culpepper”?
3. What is the narrator’s husband’s name in “Residents and Transients”?
4. Where does Georgeann work in order to help support Shelby as he attends seminary school in “The Retreat”?
5. What is the name of Nancy’s husband in “Nancy Culpepper”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the interstate highway compared with the ocean in “The Ocean”?
2. How is Grover Cleveland described in the beginning of “Lying Doggo”?
3. What can be interpreted of Joe McClain’s character through his actions in “Graveyard Day”?
4. How is the U.S.S. Shaw described in “The Ocean”?
5. What does Jack say about the people he’s cared about that have died in “Lying Doggo”?
6. How is Linda’s character described in the beginning of “Third Monday”?
7. Why has Mary agreed to stay in her parents’ house in “Residents and Transients”? How does she feel about this setting?
8. What is Edwin Creech doing in the opening of “A New-Wave Format”?
9. What does Georgeann’s mother warn her of when Georgeann marries Shelby Pickett in “The Retreat”?
10. How much money do Bill and Imogene have with them as they travel in “The Ocean”? Where are they going?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the setting of “The Ocean.” How does the narrator describe the freeway in the beginning of the story? In what ways does the changing landscape in this story differ from the previous stories in the collection? What symbolism is used in the setting?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the characters of Peggy Jo, Mama, Aunt Mozelle, and Uncle Boone in “Detroit Skyline, 1949.” What are the actions and objectives of each of these characters? How would you describe their relationships to one another?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of “Shiloh.” Where in Kentucky do Norma Jean and Leroy live? Why do they decide to go to Shiloh? How is this setting described? How does the setting of the story relate to the narrative?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)