|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years does Imogene say it’s been since they’ve been in Nashville in “The Ocean”?
2. What is the last name of Joe, who comes to supper almost every night at Waldeen’s, in “Graveyard Day”?
3. The narrator of “Residents and Transients” says that “there are a few here who think” what place “in Louisville would be the grandest place in the world to be”?
4. The narrator says in “Residents and Transients,” “I complained for weeks about living with houses in view. I need” what?
5. What is the name of the health center Edwin is transporting a group of mentally retarded adults to in order to attend training in “A New-Wave Format”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Edwin Creech doing in the opening of “A New-Wave Format”?
2. How is Edwin’s character described in “A New-Wave Format”? Who do people think Edwin looks like?
3. What does Waldeen come to view as a symbol for marriage in “Graveyard Day”?
4. What does Georgeann’s mother warn her of when Georgeann marries Shelby Pickett in “The Retreat”?
5. How are Nancy’s husband and son described in “Nancy Culpepper”?
6. Why has Mary agreed to stay in her parents’ house in “Residents and Transients”? How does she feel about this setting?
7. What different depictions of “family” are presented in “Graveyard Day”?
8. How is Nancy’s wedding described in “Nancy Culpepper”?
9. How is the interstate highway compared with the ocean in “The Ocean”?
10. What does Jack say about the people he’s cared about that have died in “Lying Doggo”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Louise’s personal journey in “Still Life with Watermelon.” What does Louise gain understanding of in the ending of the story? What are the story’s central themes? How do these themes relate to Louise’s journey?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters of Georgeann and Shelby Pickett in “The Retreat.” How do Georgeann and Shelby resemble the characters of “Shiloh” and “The Rookers”? What other characters in the collection can you see similarities to Georgeann and Shelby?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Sandra in “Offerings.” How old is Sandra? Where is Sandra’s husband? What are Sandra’s central actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)