|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The neighbor that Nancy talks to about Grover in the supermarket says the doctor told him to avoid what vegetable for his rheumatoid arthritis in “Lying Doggo”?
2. Of her parents’ farmhouse, the narrator of “Residents and Transients” says, “I love its stateliness, the way it rises up from the fields like a patch of” what?
3. How many lines does Sabrina have in the play she’s in rehearsals for in “A New-Wave Format”?
4. Where did Nancy get married in “Nancy Culpepper”?
5. What is the name of the man that Ruby is seeing in “Third Monday”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Grover Cleveland described in the beginning of “Lying Doggo”?
2. How is Linda’s character described in the beginning of “Third Monday”?
3. What is Edwin Creech doing in the opening of “A New-Wave Format”?
4. What can be interpreted of Joe McClain’s character through his actions in “Graveyard Day”?
5. How is Georgeann’s senior prom described in “The Retreat”?
6. How is Edwin’s character described in “A New-Wave Format”? Who do people think Edwin looks like?
7. What does Waldeen come to view as a symbol for marriage in “Graveyard Day”?
8. How much money do Bill and Imogene have with them as they travel in “The Ocean”? Where are they going?
9. How is Ruby’s relationship with Buddy described in “Third Monday”?
10. How is Grover Cleveland described when Jack picked him out as a puppy in “Lying Doggo”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss narrative style of the story “Shiloh.” What is the person and tense of the narrative? Why do you think the author chose this narrative style? How does the author’s language style inform the reader about the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Sandra in “Offerings.” How old is Sandra? Where is Sandra’s husband? What are Sandra’s central actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the characters of Peggy Jo, Mama, Aunt Mozelle, and Uncle Boone in “Detroit Skyline, 1949.” What are the actions and objectives of each of these characters? How would you describe their relationships to one another?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)