|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shelby tells Georgeann in “The Retreat,” “You’ve been looking peaked lately. I believe you’ve got” what?
2. Who are the romantic leads in the play Sabrina’s in, in “A New-Wave Format”?
3. How old is Sabrina in “A New-Wave Format”?
4. Why does the narrator say she returned to Kentucky in “Residents and Transients”?
5. What newspaper does Bill read every night in “The Ocean”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Nancy’s husband and son described in “Nancy Culpepper”?
2. How is Grover Cleveland described when Jack picked him out as a puppy in “Lying Doggo”?
3. How is Ruby’s relationship with Buddy described in “Third Monday”?
4. How is Nancy’s wedding described in “Nancy Culpepper”?
5. How is the U.S.S. Shaw described in “The Ocean”?
6. Why has Mary agreed to stay in her parents’ house in “Residents and Transients”? How does she feel about this setting?
7. How much money do Bill and Imogene have with them as they travel in “The Ocean”? Where are they going?
8. What does Waldeen come to view as a symbol for marriage in “Graveyard Day”?
9. What pop culture references are seen in the story “Graveyard Day”?
10. How is Larry described in “Residents and Transients”? How did Mary meet Larry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of communication in “The Rookers” and Mack’s phone calls to the weather service in the story. What do these calls indicate in regards to Mack’s ability to communicate with his family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship of Mary Lou and Mack Skaggs in “The Rookers.” How is their relationship similar to Norma Jean and Leroy’s relationship in “Shiloh”? How does it differ? How would you compare their relationship to the others seen in the collection?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the language style of the various stories in the collection. Does the author employ dialect when the characters speak? What is revealed about the characters in the anthology through their use of language? How well do you relate to the characters’ use of language?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)