|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of toothpaste does Sabrina use in “A New-Wave Format”?
2. How old is Robert in “Lying Doggo”?
3. What restaurant does Joe say has “Liver Lover’s Night” on Tuesdays in “Graveyard Day”?
4. Who does Imogene say “had a hurtin’ like this and come to find out she had kidney disease” in “The Ocean”?
5. The narrator states in “The Retreat” that when Georgeann married Shelby, her mother warned her about the disadvantages of marrying what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Larry described in “Residents and Transients”? How did Mary meet Larry?
2. How is Grover Cleveland described in the beginning of “Lying Doggo”?
3. What can be interpreted of Joe McClain’s character through his actions in “Graveyard Day”?
4. What does Georgeann’s mother warn her of when Georgeann marries Shelby Pickett in “The Retreat”?
5. How did Mary meet her husband in “Residents and Transients”? How are Mary and her husband similar?
6. Why has Mary agreed to stay in her parents’ house in “Residents and Transients”? How does she feel about this setting?
7. How is Georgeann’s senior prom described in “The Retreat”?
8. How is Linda’s character described in the beginning of “Third Monday”?
9. How is Sabrina Jones described in “A New-Wave Format”?
10. How is Edwin’s character described in “A New-Wave Format”? Who do people think Edwin looks like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters of Georgeann and Shelby Pickett in “The Retreat.” How do Georgeann and Shelby resemble the characters of “Shiloh” and “The Rookers”? What other characters in the collection can you see similarities to Georgeann and Shelby?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the characters of Cleo Watkins and Rita Jean Wiggins in “Old Things.” How old are these characters? How would you characterize their relationship to one another? How are the characters similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the setting of “The Rookers.” What imagery and symbolism does the author imbue in the setting of the story? In what ways is Mary Lou’s card table symbolic? What does it represent to Mary Lou?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)