|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Leroy and Norma Jean live in “Shiloh”?
2. According to the narrator in “The Rookers,” “Mack said old people gave him the creeps, the way they talked about” what?
3. How many children do Mary Lou and Mack have in “The Rookers”?
4. Sandra’s husband is in Louisville working where in “Offerings”?
5. What word does the narrator’s play date pronounce “with two syllables” in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What examples are given of Dusty’s tendencies to overreact in “The Climber”?
2. How is Peggy Wilson described in “Still Life with Watermelon”? What is her relationship to Louise Milsap?
3. How is Petey’s character described in “The Climber”?
4. How are the central characters in “The Rookers” similar to the central characters in “Shiloh”?
5. How is the character of Jim Walsh described in “Drawing Names”?
6. What are Cleo’s thoughts on Shirley in “Old Things”?
7. From what narrative perspective is “Detroit Skyline, 1949” related? How does this narrative point of view compare with that of “Shiloh” and “The Rookers”?
8. How is Mabel characterized in “Shiloh”? What is Norma Jean’s relationship with Mabel like?
9. Where is Louise Milsap’s husband in the beginning of “Still Life with Watermelon”? Why is he there?
10. What appointment is Dolores worried about in “The Climber”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Louise’s personal journey in “Still Life with Watermelon.” What does Louise gain understanding of in the ending of the story? What are the story’s central themes? How do these themes relate to Louise’s journey?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the setting of “The Rookers.” What imagery and symbolism does the author imbue in the setting of the story? In what ways is Mary Lou’s card table symbolic? What does it represent to Mary Lou?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters of Georgeann and Shelby Pickett in “The Retreat.” How do Georgeann and Shelby resemble the characters of “Shiloh” and “The Rookers”? What other characters in the collection can you see similarities to Georgeann and Shelby?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)