|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Sandra’s grandfather that died in “Offerings”?
2. Who is Leroy reminded of as he watches Norma Jean lift weights in the beginning of “Shiloh”?
3. In what state do Mary Lou and her husband Mack live in “The Rookers”?
4. Who is the narrator in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
5. What kind of cigarettes does the narrators say her uncle smoked in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Aunt Mozelle described in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
2. From what narrative perspective is “Detroit Skyline, 1949” related? How does this narrative point of view compare with that of “Shiloh” and “The Rookers”?
3. Why did the family agree to draw names for Christmas presents in “Drawing Names”?
4. What constitutes the basic plot line of “Shiloh”? What is the story essentially about?
5. What happens when Louise goes to meet with Mr. Priddle in “Still Life with Watermelon”?
6. How is the journey to Detroit described in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”? How do Peggy Jo and her mother get there?
7. How is the character of Jim Walsh described in “Drawing Names”?
8. How is Sandra’s mother’s relationship with Grandmother Stamper described in “Offerings”?
9. What memories of her grandmother’s farm does Sandra recollect in “Offerings”?
10. How are Mack’s feelings about the weather described in “The Rookers”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine and discuss the symbolism seen in “Offerings.” What are the “offerings” in the story that the title is based on? What is symbolized by “the thousands of large golden garden spiders hidden in the field” described in the ending?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the language style of the various stories in the collection. Does the author employ dialect when the characters speak? What is revealed about the characters in the anthology through their use of language? How well do you relate to the characters’ use of language?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of “Shiloh.” Where in Kentucky do Norma Jean and Leroy live? Why do they decide to go to Shiloh? How is this setting described? How does the setting of the story relate to the narrative?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)