|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator in “The Rookers,” lately Mack has become obsessed with the weather and likes to compare it to the predictions from where?
2. Where did Louise’s husband buy a cowboy hat before going away in “Still Life with Watermelon”?
3. Who is Leroy reminded of as he watches Norma Jean lift weights in the beginning of “Shiloh”?
4. What is the name of Sandra’s estranged husband in “Offerings”?
5. According to the narrator of “The Climber,” “Dolores has the Christian channel on only for the” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memories of her grandmother’s farm does Sandra recollect in “Offerings”?
2. How is Mabel characterized in “Shiloh”? What is Norma Jean’s relationship with Mabel like?
3. How is Petey’s character described in “The Climber”?
4. What gift did Mack make for Mary Lou for their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary? How is this object described?
5. From what narrative perspective is “Detroit Skyline, 1949” related? How does this narrative point of view compare with that of “Shiloh” and “The Rookers”?
6. What constitutes the basic plot line of “Shiloh”? What is the story essentially about?
7. What happens when Louise goes to meet with Mr. Priddle in “Still Life with Watermelon”?
8. How does Mary Lou Skaggs help out her husband with his job in “The Rookers”? What is Mack’s job?
9. How are Louise’s watermelon paintings described in the beginning of “Still Life with Watermelon”?
10. How is the character of Aunt Mozelle described in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Sandra in “Offerings.” How old is Sandra? Where is Sandra’s husband? What are Sandra’s central actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of “Shiloh.” Where in Kentucky do Norma Jean and Leroy live? Why do they decide to go to Shiloh? How is this setting described? How does the setting of the story relate to the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the characters of Peggy Jo, Mama, Aunt Mozelle, and Uncle Boone in “Detroit Skyline, 1949.” What are the actions and objectives of each of these characters? How would you describe their relationships to one another?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)