|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Leroy and Norma Jean live in “Shiloh”?
2. What is the name of Sandra’s estranged husband in “Offerings”?
3. How old does the narrator say she was when her mother took her on a long journey North to see the tall buildings of Detroit in the beginning of “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
4. How long ago did Leroy injure his leg in a highway accident in the beginning of “Shiloh”?
5. What is the name of Sandra’s grandfather that died in “Offerings”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the family agree to draw names for Christmas presents in “Drawing Names”?
2. What news does Cleo Watkins relate on the phone to her friend in the beginning of “Old Things”?
3. What appointment is Dolores worried about in “The Climber”?
4. How is Sandra’s character described in the beginning of “Offerings”?
5. How are the characters of Norma Jean and Leroy described in “Shiloh”?
6. What examples are given of Dusty’s tendencies to overreact in “The Climber”?
7. How does Mary Lou Skaggs help out her husband with his job in “The Rookers”? What is Mack’s job?
8. How are Mack’s feelings about the weather described in “The Rookers”?
9. How long has Carolyn been divorced in “Drawing Names”? How has this impacted her family Christmas visits?
10. From what narrative perspective is “Detroit Skyline, 1949” related? How does this narrative point of view compare with that of “Shiloh” and “The Rookers”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the characters of Peggy Jo, Mama, Aunt Mozelle, and Uncle Boone in “Detroit Skyline, 1949.” What are the actions and objectives of each of these characters? How would you describe their relationships to one another?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the language style of the various stories in the collection. Does the author employ dialect when the characters speak? What is revealed about the characters in the anthology through their use of language? How well do you relate to the characters’ use of language?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters of Georgeann and Shelby Pickett in “The Retreat.” How do Georgeann and Shelby resemble the characters of “Shiloh” and “The Rookers”? What other characters in the collection can you see similarities to Georgeann and Shelby?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)