|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Georgeann work in order to help support Shelby as he attends seminary school in “The Retreat”?
(a) Macy's Department Store
(b) Kroger's Grocery Store
(c) Albertson's Grocery Store
(d) J. C. Penney's
2. Of her parents’ farmhouse, the narrator of “Residents and Transients” says, “I love its stateliness, the way it rises up from the fields like a patch of” what?
(a) Purple irises
(c) Red apple trees
(d) Mutant jimsonweeds
3. What surgery has Ruby recently had in “Third Monday”?
(a) A double mastectomy
(b) A hysterectomy
(c) A tonsillectomy
(d) A hip replacement
4. What is the name of the man that Ruby is seeing in “Third Monday”?
5. Joe has an antique walking stick that belonged to whom in “Graveyard Day”?
(a) Abraham Lincoln
(b) Robert E. Lee
(c) Ulysses S. Grant
(d) Jefferson Davis
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Holly’s father in “Graveyard Day”?
2. How old is Robert in “Lying Doggo”?
3. What newspaper does Bill read every night in “The Ocean”?
4. Nancy and Jack have been married almost how long in “Lying Doggo”?
5. What did the man Ruby’s dating try to sell her when they first met in “Third Monday”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What education did Georgeann and Shelby attain in “The Retreat”?
2. What different depictions of “family” are presented in “Graveyard Day”?
3. What pop culture references are seen in the story “Graveyard Day”?
4. How is Grover Cleveland described in the beginning of “Lying Doggo”?
5. How are Ishmael and its owner described in “The Ocean”?
6. How is Ruby’s relationship with Buddy described in “Third Monday”?
7. Why has Mary agreed to stay in her parents’ house in “Residents and Transients”? How does she feel about this setting?
8. How is Grover Cleveland described when Jack picked him out as a puppy in “Lying Doggo”?
9. How is the U.S.S. Shaw described in “The Ocean”?
10. How is Larry described in “Residents and Transients”? How did Mary meet Larry?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)