|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weight dumbbells does Norma Jean lift to warm up in the beginning of “Shiloh”?
(a) 2 lb.
(b) 1 lb.
(c) 3 lb.
(d) 5 lb.
2. As Louise progresses in her paintings of watermelons in “Still Life with Watermelon,” she begins varying the backgrounds, “and sometimes now she throws in unusual decorative objects—a few candles, a soap dish,” and what?
(a) A pair of wire pliers
(b) A hairdryer
(c) A plate of olives
(d) A pair of sewing scissors
3. Louise’s husband in “Still Life with Watermelon” is currently where?
4. Who is the girl that the narrator’s aunt invites to spend the day with the narrator during her visit in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
(a) Sabrina Jones
(b) Sharon Belletieri
(c) Betsy Lou
5. Petey claims in “The Climber” that “Jesus is a” what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Leroy reminded of as he watches Norma Jean lift weights in the beginning of “Shiloh”?
2. Who is Louise’s husband with while he’s away in “Still Life with Watermelon”?
3. In “Old Things,” Linda believes that it’s awful that Cleo has gotten rid of every reminder of whom?
4. What is the name of Sandra’s grandfather that died in “Offerings”?
5. How many years does the narrator say Leroy has spent on the road prior to his accident in Shiloh?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Peggy described in “Drawing Names”?
2. How is the character of Aunt Mozelle described in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
3. How is Mabel characterized in “Shiloh”? What is Norma Jean’s relationship with Mabel like?
4. What happens when Louise goes to meet with Mr. Priddle in “Still Life with Watermelon”?
5. How does Mary Lou Skaggs help out her husband with his job in “The Rookers”? What is Mack’s job?
6. From what narrative perspective is “Detroit Skyline, 1949” related? How does this narrative point of view compare with that of “Shiloh” and “The Rookers”?
7. How does the narrator describe the final years of Sandra’s paternal grandfather in “Offerings”?
8. What examples are given of Dusty’s tendencies to overreact in “The Climber”?
9. What memento does Cleo find at the end of “Old Things”? What does this make her think of?
10. How is Petey’s character described in “The Climber”?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)