|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of cigarettes does the narrators say her uncle smoked in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
(b) Old Golds
2. As Louise progresses in her paintings of watermelons in “Still Life with Watermelon,” she begins varying the backgrounds, “and sometimes now she throws in unusual decorative objects—a few candles, a soap dish,” and what?
(a) A hairdryer
(b) A pair of sewing scissors
(c) A pair of wire pliers
(d) A plate of olives
3. What word from “Still Life with Watermelon” refers to a horn containing food, drink, etc. in endless supply?
4. What is the name of the narrator’s aunt in “Detroit Skyline, 1949” that she and her mother went to visit in Detroit when she was young?
(a) Peggy Wilson
(b) Rita Jean Wiggins
(c) Louise Milsap
(d) Mozelle Cashon
5. Where did Leroy’s tractor-trailer jackknife, causing his leg injury, in “Shiloh”?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Cleo’s grandson that is staying with her in “Old Things”?
2. What did Sandra’s maternal grandmother die from in “Offerings”?
3. What is the last name of Rita Jean in “Old Things”?
4. Who’s car does Cleo say is “here all the time” in “Old Things”?
5. What is the name of the uncle that the narrator and her mother visit in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Jim Walsh described in “Drawing Names”?
2. How long has Carolyn been divorced in “Drawing Names”? How has this impacted her family Christmas visits?
3. What gift did Mack make for Mary Lou for their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary? How is this object described?
4. From what narrative perspective is “Detroit Skyline, 1949” related? How does this narrative point of view compare with that of “Shiloh” and “The Rookers”?
5. What happens when Louise goes to meet with Mr. Priddle in “Still Life with Watermelon”?
6. How is the character of Uncle Boone described in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
7. What appointment is Dolores worried about in “The Climber”?
8. What news does Cleo Watkins relate on the phone to her friend in the beginning of “Old Things”?
9. What memento does Cleo find at the end of “Old Things”? What does this make her think of?
10. How does Linda respond when Cleo implies she’s old by saying “I’m not sixteen anymore” in “Old Things”?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)