|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children does Dolores have in “The Climber”?
2. Kent is planning to drive over for Christmas dinner from where by noon in “Drawing Names”?
(a) Lake Michigan
(b) Kentucky Lake
(c) Lake Huron
(d) Juanita Lake
3. The narrator of “Offerings” says Sandra “grows vegetables and counts her” what?
4. Who’s car does Cleo say is “here all the time” in “Old Things”?
5. Peggy tells Louise in “Still Life with Watermelon” that what rich collector will buy her pictures of watermelons?
(a) Edwin Creech
(b) Jack Cleveland
(c) Herman Priddle
(d) Joe Murdock
Short Answer Questions
1. What newscaster does Cleo watch as she listens to Rita Jean on the phone in the beginning of “Old Things”?
2. Who does Mack claim said that “any man who watches more than a hundred and sixty-eight football games in one year ought to be declared legally dead” in “The Rookers”?
3. How long has it been since Sandra has mown her yard when her grandmother visits in “Offerings”?
4. In what state do Mary Lou and her husband Mack live in “The Rookers”?
5. What is the name of the uncle that the narrator and her mother visit in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the central themes in the stories of Bobbie Ann Mason’s anthology?
2. How is the character of Jim Walsh described in “Drawing Names”?
3. What happens when Louise goes to meet with Mr. Priddle in “Still Life with Watermelon”?
4. How does Linda respond when Cleo implies she’s old by saying “I’m not sixteen anymore” in “Old Things”?
5. How is the character of Uncle Boone described in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
6. How is Mabel characterized in “Shiloh”? What is Norma Jean’s relationship with Mabel like?
7. What constitutes the basic plot line of “Shiloh”? What is the story essentially about?
8. Why did the family agree to draw names for Christmas presents in “Drawing Names”?
9. What memento does Cleo find at the end of “Old Things”? What does this make her think of?
10. How is the character of Aunt Mozelle described in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)