|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long ago was Carolyn divorced in “Drawing Names”?
(a) 2 years ago
(b) 6 years ago
(c) 10 years ago
(d) 1 year ago
2. Dolores’s friend enrolled in beauty school at what age in “The Climber”?
3. The first watermelon that Louise painted in “Still Life with Watermelon” looked “like a dark-green basketball floating on” what?
(a) A sea of purple granite
(b) A diesel-fueled truck
(c) A longing prairie
(d) An algae-covered pond
4. Petey claims in “The Climber” that “Jesus is a” what?
5. How old was Sandra’s mother when Sandra’s maternal grandmother died in “Offerings”?
6. What is Mary Lou’s last name in “The Rookers”?
7. What is the name of Sandra’s grandfather that died in “Offerings”?
(a) Bob Turnbow
(b) Kent Ballard
(c) Joe Murdock
(d) Joe Stamper
8. As Louise progresses in her paintings of watermelons in “Still Life with Watermelon,” she begins varying the backgrounds, “and sometimes now she throws in unusual decorative objects—a few candles, a soap dish,” and what?
(a) A pair of sewing scissors
(b) A hairdryer
(c) A plate of olives
(d) A pair of wire pliers
9. What is Cleo’s last name in “Old Things”?
10. In what children’s book does the narrator describe a “picture of a child with his guardian angel hovering over him in "Detroit Skyline, 1949"?
(a) Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories
(b) The Curious Rabbit
(c) The Princess and the Pea
(d) Aesop's Fairy Tales
11. According to the narrator in “The Rookers,” lately Mack has become obsessed with the weather and likes to compare it to the predictions from where?
(a) The nightly news weather forecast
(b) His astrological charts
(c) The Old Farmer's Almanac
(d) The newspaper forecast
12. What is the name of the narrator’s aunt in “Detroit Skyline, 1949” that she and her mother went to visit in Detroit when she was young?
(a) Mozelle Cashon
(b) Louise Milsap
(c) Rita Jean Wiggins
(d) Peggy Wilson
13. Where did Leroy’s tractor-trailer jackknife, causing his leg injury, in “Shiloh”?
14. What weight dumbbells does Norma Jean lift to warm up in the beginning of “Shiloh”?
(a) 5 lb.
(b) 1 lb.
(c) 3 lb.
(d) 2 lb.
15. Who urged Dolores to see a doctor about her condition in “The Climber”?
(a) Jerry Wilson
(b) Louise Milsap
(c) Dusty Bivens
(d) Mary Sue
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of cigarettes does the narrators say her uncle smoked in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
2. Louise has lost her job where in “Still Life with Watermelon”?
3. How tall is the tulip tree said to be in “The Climber”?
4. What word from “Still Life with Watermelon” refers to a horn containing food, drink, etc. in endless supply?
5. Where did Louise’s husband buy a cowboy hat before going away in “Still Life with Watermelon”?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)