|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Petey described as in “The Climber”?
2. What did Mack make for Mary Lou for their twenty-fifth anniversary from scrap pine in “The Rookers”?
(a) A dinner table
(b) A bookshelf
(c) A card table
(d) A coffee table
3. Louise’s husband in “Still Life with Watermelon” is currently where?
4. Where did Louise’s husband buy a cowboy hat before going away in “Still Life with Watermelon”?
(a) Sam's Surplus
(d) J. C. Penney's
5. What is the name of the narrator’s brother in “Detroit Skyline, 1949” that is 2 when she visits Detroit with her mother?
6. Who does Carolyn’s mother say brought the chocolate-covered creams in “Drawing Names”?
(a) Sabrina Jones
(b) Hattie Smoot
(c) Jim Yates
(d) Rita Jean Wiggins
7. Where did Leroy’s tractor-trailer jackknife, causing his leg injury, in “Shiloh”?
8. What weight dumbbells does Norma Jean lift to warm up in the beginning of “Shiloh”?
(a) 5 lb.
(b) 3 lb.
(c) 2 lb.
(d) 1 lb.
9. When Mack refurbished an old church pew into a dinette booth for some neighbors in “The Rookers,” the sanding took days and Mack claimed, “I’m sanding off layers of” what?
10. What is Mary Lou’s last name in “The Rookers”?
11. As Louise progresses in her paintings of watermelons in “Still Life with Watermelon,” she begins varying the backgrounds, “and sometimes now she throws in unusual decorative objects—a few candles, a soap dish,” and what?
(a) A plate of olives
(b) A pair of wire pliers
(c) A hairdryer
(d) A pair of sewing scissors
12. What kind of cigarettes does the narrators say her uncle smoked in “Detroit Skyline, 1949”?
(b) Old Golds
13. According to the narrator in “The Rookers,” lately Mack has become obsessed with the weather and likes to compare it to the predictions from where?
(a) His astrological charts
(b) The Old Farmer's Almanac
(c) The nightly news weather forecast
(d) The newspaper forecast
14. According to the narrator in “The Rookers,” “Mack said old people gave him the creeps, the way they talked about” what?
15. What is Louise’s last name in “Still Life with Watermelon”?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago did Leroy injure his leg in a highway accident in the beginning of “Shiloh”?
2. According to the narrator of “The Climber,” “Dolores has the Christian channel on only for the” what?
3. What is Kent’s last name in “Drawing Names”?
4. Who is the teenager that Leroy buys weed from in “Shiloh”?
5. The narrator says in “Detroit Skyline, 1949” that when she was young she lived “not far from the U.S. highway that took so many Southerners northward to work in the auto industry just after” what war?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)