|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the races suppressed by the whites want to do in Chapter 33?
2. Which sibling is fairly normal, but sometimes gets deeply depressed over things like corruption in the world?
3. How is John Brent-Oxford killed?
4. What ideologies declined during the time period described in Chapter 19?
5. Who is the author of the report that comprises Chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johor say, in Chapter 19, about the poor of Shikasta?
2. Which two families does Johor consider for his reincarnation, and which does he ultimately pick?
3. What is contained in Sharma and George's letters to one another in Chapter 29?
4. Who is Lynda Coleridge?
5. What does George tell Rachel when she has difficulty handling the news of Naseem and Shireen's deaths?
6. Who is Suzannah?
7. What is the substance of Agent 20's report, in Chapter 18?
8. How are George, Benjamin and Rachel described in Chapter 21?
9. What is the result of the arguments presented at the mock trial?
10. How does the mock trial end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mock trial is one of the most important events in the novel. Who stages the trial? Who is being prosecuted, and why? Who are the defense and prosecuting attorneys? What arguments are made at the trial? How does the trial end? What is the final result of the trial? Does it change anything in Shikastan society? If so, what? Be sure to cite specific examples from the book to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johor describes the religion of the whites, presumably some form of Christianity, as being the most bigoted religion in human history. What can we infer, as a result of this description, about the author's attitude toward organized religion? Why does she describe this religion in such a negative fashion? What, specifically, does Johor dislike about this religion? What are his suggestions for improving it, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the book to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The Giants are introduced to Shikasta by the Canopeans, who are attempting to hasten the evolution of the Natives. How do the Canopeans think that the Giants will help? What is the nature of the relationship that exists between the Natives and the Giants? Why? How do the Giants feel about being put on Shikasta? What happens to the Giants after Shikasta is cut off from the Lock? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the book to support your thesis.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)