|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Marlow so sure that Kate will surrender herself to him?
2. What does Marlow do in front of his father?
3. When Kate arrives, how does her testimony conflict with young Marlow's?
4. Why are Hardcastle and Sir Charles amazed at Marlow's quick departure?
5. What has Tony done with his mother and Constance?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Constance cannot think of any more to read from the note, she crumples it up and hands it back to Tony. Why does he hand it back to his mother?
2. What transpires between Mr. Hardcastle and Tony in the dark?
3. How does Kate discover the misunderstanding that has been going on in the house?
4. How does Mrs. Hardcastle make an appearance in the garden.
5. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
6. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
7. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
8. There is a great deal of shouting at one another about Tony's latest deception. What does Tony say that Mr. Hardcastle has to agree with?
9. What is the act Tony and Constance put on for Mrs. Hardcastle's benefit?
10. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react when she reads the real note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Staging of plays in Goldsmith's day was much different from the way it is today. There was no curtain. At the end of a scene, the actors all walked off the stage and the stagehands came in and changed the backdrop and the furniture. SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER has stood the test of time, however, and is still staged today. Write a paper about how you would stage the play and handle the different scene changes.
Essay Topic 2
In the 18th century, women, especially unmarried women, had almost no civil rights. Using Miss Neville as an example, explain how she had almost no control over her own affairs. Also, explain why Mrs. Hardcastle came to be her guardian and have control over her inheritance. Explain why Mr. Hardcastle had nothing to do with Miss Neville's situation. Contrast Tony's situation to Miss Neville's. His mother controlled his inheritance, but he had the promise of getting out from under that control even without marrying. What is the difference?
Essay Topic 3
What is often called a practical joke is more often something that causes great pain and embarrassment to an innocent victim. Tony's joke about the inn was really meant to embarrass Mr. Hardcastle, however, it caused suffering to Marlow and nearly wrecked any possibility of his marrying Kate. Using examples of jokes and tricks from the play, write an essay about how they are usually not funny and can often be very harmful.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)