|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sir Charles questions Kate, what does she say about his son's behavior toward her?
2. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
3. What does Sir Charles say will happen if what Kate has said turns out to be true?
4. What does Tony suggest to Hastings?
5. What seems to be the only solution for Constance and Hastings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is young Marlow's purpose in seeking out Mr. Hardcastle before he leaves the house?
2. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
3. What happens between Marlow and Hastings after Mrs. Hardcastle gets possession of the jewels once again?
4. There is a great deal of shouting at one another about Tony's latest deception. What does Tony say that Mr. Hardcastle has to agree with?
5. Does Mr. Hardcastle think Kate is right about young Marlow? How does he respond to Kate's request for more time to prove to him that Marlow is a proper gentleman.
6. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
7. Explain how the jewels end back up with Mrs. Hardcastle.
8. Why have Marlow's servants all gotten drunk to the great displeasure of Mr. Hardcastle?
9. How does Kate discover the misunderstanding that has been going on in the house?
10. How does Mrs. Hardcastle make an appearance in the garden.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the old adage, "Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive," write a paper on the way lies keep complicating the plot of SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER. Use the lies and deceptions on the character of Marlow to address your point. Discuss how there might have been another way to handle Marlow by telling him the truth and asking his help in the elopement. Notice how Hastings' insistence on maintaining the prank is based on his assumption of how Marlow would react to the truth.
Essay Topic 2
SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is filled with complex sub plots. Write a paper on how these various plots play against each other in the play. Specifically draw your illustrations from the plot of Mrs. Hardcastle to marry Tony off to Constance against Constance's determination to marry Hastings. The main plot of getting Kate and Marlow together is complicated by the reasons various characters have to continue the deception with Marlow. Draw a parallel between Hardcastle and Marlow since he does not find out about Tony's trick until late in the play. Explain in your paper how each of these complications is necessary to the story.
Essay Topic 3
SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is a farce comedy. Explain what makes it a farce. Use selections from the play to point out improbable events and situations. Point out the characters who give the play a comical tone. Make mention of the plot twists and turns that would not happen in real life. Explain the need for an audience to suspend rational thought to enjoy a farce.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)