|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marlow conspire to get closer to Kate?
2. After Marlow runs from the room, how does Hardcastle confront his daughter.
3. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
4. When Marlow enters, who gets the blame for all the trouble in the house?
5. How does Hardcastle give Marlow a hard time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
2. After Marlow leaves and Kate enters the room, what is the conversation she has with the two gentlemen?
3. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
4. Does Mr. Hardcastle think Kate is right about young Marlow? How does he respond to Kate's request for more time to prove to him that Marlow is a proper gentleman.
5. Describe Hastings' mood after Constance has left with Mrs. Hardcastle.
6. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
7. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react when she reads the real note?
8. Explain how the jewels end back up with Mrs. Hardcastle.
9. What is going on between Mr. Hardcastle and Sir Charles as they come into the room after Mrs. Hardcastle has left with Constance?
10. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the 18th century British carriages. Specifically look up the post or mail coach that is mentioned several times in the play. In your paper describe the carriages and the social implications in the culture of the times. Write about how these carriages were precursors of modern luxury means of transportation.
Essay Topic 2
Asides are devices used in many plays and melodramas. They are used to let the audience know what a character is thinking, to let the audience know what has happened off stage, and to whisper something to another character onstage without letting other characters know what is being said. Write a paper using asides from SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER and give your opinion as to their effectiveness and contribution to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Do some research about 18th century English inns. From your research, explain how Mr. Hardcastle's house could have reasonably been taken for an inn. Continue your paper to show how this kind of plot would not work today. Then come up with an idea of how you could mislead someone about a private residence today, e.g., a rooming house.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)