|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Tony arranged for Hastings and Constance?
2. Who enters while Kate is struggling to get her hand away from Marlow?
3. Why does Hastings say they must hurry if they plan to elope?
4. What does Kate think will be her father's reaction when he hears the whole story?
5. When Mrs. Hardcastle drags herself to where Tony is, what does he try to make her believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
2. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react when she reads the real note?
3. What immediate plans do Hastings and Constance make after he tells her Tony has given him the jewels?
4. How does Mr. Hardcastle react to seeing Marlow holding his daughter's hand?
5. What transpires between Mr. Hardcastle and Tony in the dark?
6. How does Mrs. Hardcastle make an appearance in the garden.
7. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
8. How does Kate discover the misunderstanding that has been going on in the house?
9. After Marlow leaves and Kate enters the room, what is the conversation she has with the two gentlemen?
10. Describe the conflict between Constance and Tony now that Mrs. Hardcastle has the jewels back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the old adage, "Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive," write a paper on the way lies keep complicating the plot of SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER. Use the lies and deceptions on the character of Marlow to address your point. Discuss how there might have been another way to handle Marlow by telling him the truth and asking his help in the elopement. Notice how Hastings' insistence on maintaining the prank is based on his assumption of how Marlow would react to the truth.
Essay Topic 2
Staging of plays in Goldsmith's day was much different from the way it is today. There was no curtain. At the end of a scene, the actors all walked off the stage and the stagehands came in and changed the backdrop and the furniture. SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER has stood the test of time, however, and is still staged today. Write a paper about how you would stage the play and handle the different scene changes.
Essay Topic 3
Research the 18th century British carriages. Specifically look up the post or mail coach that is mentioned several times in the play. In your paper describe the carriages and the social implications in the culture of the times. Write about how these carriages were precursors of modern luxury means of transportation.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)