|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Hardcastle drags herself to where Tony is, what does he try to make her believe?
2. What does Kate think will be her father's reaction when he hears the whole story?
3. How does Marlow ask Kate for a kiss?
4. When Sir Charles questions Kate, what does she say about his son's behavior toward her?
5. What is Tony's problem with the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is young Marlow's purpose in seeking out Mr. Hardcastle before he leaves the house?
2. How does Kate discover the misunderstanding that has been going on in the house?
3. When Constance cannot think of any more to read from the note, she crumples it up and hands it back to Tony. Why does he hand it back to his mother?
4. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
5. What happens between Marlow and Kate the next time they are alone?
6. How does Mr. Hardcastle react to seeing Marlow holding his daughter's hand?
7. Why have Marlow's servants all gotten drunk to the great displeasure of Mr. Hardcastle?
8. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
9. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
10. Describe the conflict between Constance and Tony now that Mrs. Hardcastle has the jewels back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is a farce comedy. Explain what makes it a farce. Use selections from the play to point out improbable events and situations. Point out the characters who give the play a comical tone. Make mention of the plot twists and turns that would not happen in real life. Explain the need for an audience to suspend rational thought to enjoy a farce.
Essay Topic 2
The real villain in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is Mrs. Hardcastle. Write a paper identifying the passages that give clues to her real nature. Note in your paper Mrs. Hardcastle's pretensions to upper class position, her emphasis on appearances, her ignorance of real elite society, and her underlying greed. Include in the paper how she manipulated Tony and Constance in order to satisfy her goals.
Essay Topic 3
Select three of four scenes in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER that you consider to be very funny. Write about the words and actions that make the scenes comical in nature. Compare those scenes to movie or TV comedies today and show how early writers like Goldsmith influenced our ideas of what is funny in a play or film.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)