|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Kate that Marlow thinks the house is an inn?
2. What information does Hastings' servant give him?
3. Why can't Hastings explain the problem of giving the jewels to Mrs. Hardcastle?
4. What is Kate's response as Marlow moves closer to her?
5. When Kate arrives, how does her testimony conflict with young Marlow's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conflict between Constance and Tony now that Mrs. Hardcastle has the jewels back?
2. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
3. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
4. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
5. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
6. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
7. After Marlow leaves and Kate enters the room, what is the conversation she has with the two gentlemen?
8. Why have Marlow's servants all gotten drunk to the great displeasure of Mr. Hardcastle?
9. Does Mr. Hardcastle think Kate is right about young Marlow? How does he respond to Kate's request for more time to prove to him that Marlow is a proper gentleman.
10. How does Constance attempt to stop Mrs. Hardcastle from reading the note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unseen central objects in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER are the jewels. These jewels were not very secure in Mrs. Hardcastle's locked bureau drawer. The British obsession with jewels goes back many centuries and may be best illustrated by the Royal Crown jewels of the monarchs. Research some of the most spectacular crown jewels and write a paper about their value and how they are kept safe.
Essay Topic 2
Fashion wigs were the style in the 18th century. Research their construction, upkeep, various types, and prices. Write about the process of making a fashion wig. Then give your impression of what Mrs. Hardcastle's homemade wig might have looked like. Kate and Miss Deville would wear wigs when they dressed for society. Very likely Sir Charles wore a powdered wig. Marlow and Hastings wigs were probably a natural color. Describe in your paper what the wigs of each of these characters probably looked like.
Essay Topic 3
Staging of plays in Goldsmith's day was much different from the way it is today. There was no curtain. At the end of a scene, the actors all walked off the stage and the stagehands came in and changed the backdrop and the furniture. SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER has stood the test of time, however, and is still staged today. Write a paper about how you would stage the play and handle the different scene changes.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)