|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tony's problem with the letter?
2. When Mrs. Hardcastle drags herself to where Tony is, what does he try to make her believe?
3. What is in the letter?
4. Why are Hardcastle and Sir Charles amazed at Marlow's quick departure?
5. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
2. How does Mr. Hardcastle react to seeing Marlow holding his daughter's hand?
3. There is a great deal of shouting at one another about Tony's latest deception. What does Tony say that Mr. Hardcastle has to agree with?
4. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
5. Describe Hastings' mood after Constance has left with Mrs. Hardcastle.
6. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react when she reads the real note?
7. What immediate plans do Hastings and Constance make after he tells her Tony has given him the jewels?
8. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
9. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
10. What is young Marlow's purpose in seeking out Mr. Hardcastle before he leaves the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Words have changed their meaning since Goldsmith wrote this play. For example, the word modesty is used in an entirely different way from the way we use it today. Find at least ten examples of words that have a different meaning today and write a paper showing how they are used in the play and how we might use those words today. In some cases, it might be that the word in the play is no longer used and you will need to provide a modern word that expresses the same idea.
Essay Topic 2
Sarcasm is often a stock-in-trade in comedies. Sarcasm usually takes the form of using words with an underlying meaning just the opposite of what is being said. Using the dialogue between Mr. Hardcastle and his wife when they are talking about Tony, and the dialogue between Mr. Hardcastle and Kate when they are talking about Marlow, identify the sarcasm and explain why it is so funny in each case.
Essay Topic 3
Fashion wigs were the style in the 18th century. Research their construction, upkeep, various types, and prices. Write about the process of making a fashion wig. Then give your impression of what Mrs. Hardcastle's homemade wig might have looked like. Kate and Miss Deville would wear wigs when they dressed for society. Very likely Sir Charles wore a powdered wig. Marlow and Hastings wigs were probably a natural color. Describe in your paper what the wigs of each of these characters probably looked like.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)