|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hardcastle promise to give Constance right away?
2. What does Marlow tell Kate the barmaid his name is?
3. What does Hardcastle tell Kate he plans to do?
4. How does Miss Neville know who the letter is from?
5. How does Marlow say he saw Kate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the jewels end back up with Mrs. Hardcastle.
2. How does Constance attempt to stop Mrs. Hardcastle from reading the note?
3. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
4. When Constance cannot think of any more to read from the note, she crumples it up and hands it back to Tony. Why does he hand it back to his mother?
5. What happens between Marlow and Hastings after Mrs. Hardcastle gets possession of the jewels once again?
6. What is going on between Mr. Hardcastle and Sir Charles as they come into the room after Mrs. Hardcastle has left with Constance?
7. Describe the conflict between Constance and Tony now that Mrs. Hardcastle has the jewels back?
8. What immediate plans do Hastings and Constance make after he tells her Tony has given him the jewels?
9. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
10. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three of four scenes in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER that you consider to be very funny. Write about the words and actions that make the scenes comical in nature. Compare those scenes to movie or TV comedies today and show how early writers like Goldsmith influenced our ideas of what is funny in a play or film.
Essay Topic 2
Unseen central objects in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER are the jewels. These jewels were not very secure in Mrs. Hardcastle's locked bureau drawer. The British obsession with jewels goes back many centuries and may be best illustrated by the Royal Crown jewels of the monarchs. Research some of the most spectacular crown jewels and write a paper about their value and how they are kept safe.
Essay Topic 3
Fashion wigs were the style in the 18th century. Research their construction, upkeep, various types, and prices. Write about the process of making a fashion wig. Then give your impression of what Mrs. Hardcastle's homemade wig might have looked like. Kate and Miss Deville would wear wigs when they dressed for society. Very likely Sir Charles wore a powdered wig. Marlow and Hastings wigs were probably a natural color. Describe in your paper what the wigs of each of these characters probably looked like.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)