|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Hardcastle show her blind love of her son, Tony?
2. What is Constance resolved to do at this point?
3. Why does Mr. Hardcastle not go back into the house?
4. Who comes up with a plan to save the day?
5. Where is Hastings waiting for Tony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Hardcastle make an appearance in the garden.
2. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
3. Why have Marlow's servants all gotten drunk to the great displeasure of Mr. Hardcastle?
4. What happens between Marlow and Hastings after Mrs. Hardcastle gets possession of the jewels once again?
5. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
6. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
7. Describe Hastings' mood after Constance has left with Mrs. Hardcastle.
8. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
9. Explain how the jewels end back up with Mrs. Hardcastle.
10. After Marlow leaves and Kate enters the room, what is the conversation she has with the two gentlemen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do some research about 18th century English inns. From your research, explain how Mr. Hardcastle's house could have reasonably been taken for an inn. Continue your paper to show how this kind of plot would not work today. Then come up with an idea of how you could mislead someone about a private residence today, e.g., a rooming house.
Essay Topic 2
From the old adage, "Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive," write a paper on the way lies keep complicating the plot of SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER. Use the lies and deceptions on the character of Marlow to address your point. Discuss how there might have been another way to handle Marlow by telling him the truth and asking his help in the elopement. Notice how Hastings' insistence on maintaining the prank is based on his assumption of how Marlow would react to the truth.
Essay Topic 3
Fashion wigs were the style in the 18th century. Research their construction, upkeep, various types, and prices. Write about the process of making a fashion wig. Then give your impression of what Mrs. Hardcastle's homemade wig might have looked like. Kate and Miss Deville would wear wigs when they dressed for society. Very likely Sir Charles wore a powdered wig. Marlow and Hastings wigs were probably a natural color. Describe in your paper what the wigs of each of these characters probably looked like.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)