|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Marlow so sure that Kate will surrender herself to him?
2. When Marlow finally does look at Kate as a barmaid, what changes in his speech?
3. What has Tony done with his mother and Constance?
4. How does Marlow conspire to get closer to Kate?
5. What does Kate think will be her father's reaction when he hears the whole story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What transpires between Mr. Hardcastle and Tony in the dark?
2. Why have Marlow's servants all gotten drunk to the great displeasure of Mr. Hardcastle?
3. Does Mr. Hardcastle think Kate is right about young Marlow? How does he respond to Kate's request for more time to prove to him that Marlow is a proper gentleman.
4. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
5. What happens between Marlow and Kate the next time they are alone?
6. When Marlow speaks again to Kate, how does he behave?
7. After Marlow leaves and Kate enters the room, what is the conversation she has with the two gentlemen?
8. How does Kate discover the misunderstanding that has been going on in the house?
9. How does Mrs. Hardcastle react when she reads the real note?
10. Explain how the jewels end back up with Mrs. Hardcastle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the 18th century British carriages. Specifically look up the post or mail coach that is mentioned several times in the play. In your paper describe the carriages and the social implications in the culture of the times. Write about how these carriages were precursors of modern luxury means of transportation.
Essay Topic 2
From the old adage, "Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive," write a paper on the way lies keep complicating the plot of SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER. Use the lies and deceptions on the character of Marlow to address your point. Discuss how there might have been another way to handle Marlow by telling him the truth and asking his help in the elopement. Notice how Hastings' insistence on maintaining the prank is based on his assumption of how Marlow would react to the truth.
Essay Topic 3
Tony is unmoved by his mother's attempts to marry him off to Constance. He only has eyes for the barmaid Bet Bouncer. Marlow dislikes Kate when they first meet but falls hard for Kate as a barmaid. Using those examples, write an essay entitled Beauty Is in the Eye of the Beholder.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)