|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hardcastle give Marlow a hard time?
2. What does Marlow tell Hardcastle about his servants.
3. What is in the letter?
4. What does Tony say to Constance about the jewels now back with his mother.
5. What does Hardcastle say that girls like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outside in the back of the garden, what surprise does Hasting get when he meets Tony there?
2. What is young Marlow's purpose in seeking out Mr. Hardcastle before he leaves the house?
3. Why have Marlow's servants all gotten drunk to the great displeasure of Mr. Hardcastle?
4. How does Kate discover the misunderstanding that has been going on in the house?
5. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
6. Describe Hastings' mood after Constance has left with Mrs. Hardcastle.
7. What happens between Marlow and Kate the next time they are alone?
8. Does Mr. Hardcastle think Kate is right about young Marlow? How does he respond to Kate's request for more time to prove to him that Marlow is a proper gentleman.
9. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
10. How does Mr. Hardcastle react to seeing Marlow holding his daughter's hand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is filled with complex sub plots. Write a paper on how these various plots play against each other in the play. Specifically draw your illustrations from the plot of Mrs. Hardcastle to marry Tony off to Constance against Constance's determination to marry Hastings. The main plot of getting Kate and Marlow together is complicated by the reasons various characters have to continue the deception with Marlow. Draw a parallel between Hardcastle and Marlow since he does not find out about Tony's trick until late in the play. Explain in your paper how each of these complications is necessary to the story.
Essay Topic 2
The jewels are an important element in the story, although they are never seen. Using this example, write an essay about how valuables often become more important than people. Use Mrs. Hardcastle to show that her greed for keeping the jewels in her family was actually more important to her than Tony's happiness.
Essay Topic 3
Tony is unmoved by his mother's attempts to marry him off to Constance. He only has eyes for the barmaid Bet Bouncer. Marlow dislikes Kate when they first meet but falls hard for Kate as a barmaid. Using those examples, write an essay entitled Beauty Is in the Eye of the Beholder.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)