|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marlow's complaint as he enters the room and finds Kate?
2. What does Hardcastle tell Kate he plans to do?
3. When Marlow finally does look at Kate as a barmaid, what changes in his speech?
4. What is Tony's condition when he finally appears?
5. What does the letter from Sir Charles Marlow indicate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is young Marlow's purpose in seeking out Mr. Hardcastle before he leaves the house?
2. What is the act Tony and Constance put on for Mrs. Hardcastle's benefit?
3. How does Hardcastle respond to Kate's hope that he will forgive Marlow?
4. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
5. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
6. How does Mr. Hardcastle react to seeing Marlow holding his daughter's hand?
7. Describe Hastings' mood after Constance has left with Mrs. Hardcastle.
8. What is going on between Mr. Hardcastle and Sir Charles as they come into the room after Mrs. Hardcastle has left with Constance?
9. What transpires between Mr. Hardcastle and Tony in the dark?
10. How does Constance attempt to stop Mrs. Hardcastle from reading the note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Staging of plays in Goldsmith's day was much different from the way it is today. There was no curtain. At the end of a scene, the actors all walked off the stage and the stagehands came in and changed the backdrop and the furniture. SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER has stood the test of time, however, and is still staged today. Write a paper about how you would stage the play and handle the different scene changes.
Essay Topic 2
The real villain in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is Mrs. Hardcastle. Write a paper identifying the passages that give clues to her real nature. Note in your paper Mrs. Hardcastle's pretensions to upper class position, her emphasis on appearances, her ignorance of real elite society, and her underlying greed. Include in the paper how she manipulated Tony and Constance in order to satisfy her goals.
Essay Topic 3
What is often called a practical joke is more often something that causes great pain and embarrassment to an innocent victim. Tony's joke about the inn was really meant to embarrass Mr. Hardcastle, however, it caused suffering to Marlow and nearly wrecked any possibility of his marrying Kate. Using examples of jokes and tricks from the play, write an essay about how they are usually not funny and can often be very harmful.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)