|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hardcastle think when she catches Tony and Constance together?
2. What seems to be the only solution for Constance and Hastings?
3. What fate is Hastings resigned to as he and Constance go back to the house.
4. What does the letter from Sir Charles Marlow indicate?
5. How does Kate as the barmaid rebuff Marlow.
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument does Kate use to calm her father down.
2. What is young Marlow's purpose in seeking out Mr. Hardcastle before he leaves the house?
3. Describe the conflict between Constance and Tony now that Mrs. Hardcastle has the jewels back?
4. What is going on between Mr. Hardcastle and Sir Charles as they come into the room after Mrs. Hardcastle has left with Constance?
5. Explain how Constance knows Sir Charles is coming for a visit and Hastings' reaction to the news.
6. How does Mr. Hardcastle react to seeing Marlow holding his daughter's hand?
7. Why have Marlow's servants all gotten drunk to the great displeasure of Mr. Hardcastle?
8. What transpires between Mr. Hardcastle and Tony in the dark?
9. Explain how the jewels end back up with Mrs. Hardcastle.
10. While the three of them--Mrs. Hardcastle, Tony, and Constance--are talking, what is the unexpected turn of events?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education in the 18th century was limited almost exclusively to the upper classes. Using Mr. Hardcastle's servants and Tony's inability to read Hastings' letter, write a paper on the disadvantages of illiteracy. Carry the idea on to the 21st century and how important education is today.
Essay Topic 2
Do some research about 18th century English inns. From your research, explain how Mr. Hardcastle's house could have reasonably been taken for an inn. Continue your paper to show how this kind of plot would not work today. Then come up with an idea of how you could mislead someone about a private residence today, e.g., a rooming house.
Essay Topic 3
The real villain in SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER is Mrs. Hardcastle. Write a paper identifying the passages that give clues to her real nature. Note in your paper Mrs. Hardcastle's pretensions to upper class position, her emphasis on appearances, her ignorance of real elite society, and her underlying greed. Include in the paper how she manipulated Tony and Constance in order to satisfy her goals.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)