|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the play opens, who are the two characters who enter from the right?
(a) The maid and Mrs. Hardcastle
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Hardcastle
(c) Marlow and Hastings
(d) Kate and Marlow
2. Mr. Hardcastle is furious with Marlow. What does he say out loud to himself about the young man?
(a) That he cannot understand Sir Charles playing such a joke on him.
(b) That he must not let Kate meet the young man.
(c) He is the most impudent piece of brass that ever spoke with a tongue.
(d) That he should run him off with a pitchfork.
3. How is the scene in the Three Pigeons a satire on sentimental comedy?
(a) The dialogue is high toned.
(b) The characters are all commoners and not genteel.
(c) The sentiments are only on drinking.
(d) The characters serve as a chorus as in Greek comedy.
4. Before offering to give directions to Marlow and Hastings, what does Tony want to know?
(a) If they need to see Hardcastle right away.
(b) If they know where they are and how they got there.
(c) If they have an invitation to the Hardcastle mansion.
(d) If they have servants traveling with them.
5. What comment does the landlord of the Three Pigeons make about Hardcastle's inn?
(a) He says there is a rumor that they steal from their guests while they sleep.
(b) He says they have good beds and fine wine.
(c) He says they have hard beds and sour wine.
(d) He says they get their guests out of bed when the rooster crows each morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Hardcastle asks the servants about serving wine?
2. As soon as Hardcastle is out of sight, what do the servants begin saying?
3. What is Mr. Hardcastle attempting to do with his servants?
4. What dichotomy does Marlow bewail?
5. What is Tony's one word admonition to the landlord of the pub?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)