|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mrs. Hardcastle tries to get Tony to say home one night, where is he planning to go?
(a) The Three Pigeons pub.
(b) The theater.
(c) The Cock and Bull pub.
(d) To church.
2. What has Kate promised her father about her dress in the evenings?
(a) That she will not wear jewelry in the evenings.
(b) That she will wear simply country housewife clothes.
(c) That she will wear a dancing costume in the evenings.
(d) That she will only dress up in the evenings.
3. When Kate agrees to accept the young man if he asks for her hand, how does her father tease her?
(a) He says that it's more than an even wager that he won't have her.
(b) He says that as her father he might not give his consent.
(c) He says that the young man might be mentally retarded.
(d) He says that the young man may be deformed in some way.
4. What comment does Mr. Hardcastle make to his daughter, Kate, seeing her dressed in the latest fashion.
(a) The indigent world could be clothed out of the trimmings of the vain.
(b) There's enough silk in that gown to make two.
(c) Have you turned to be like Mrs. Hardcastle?
(d) What is wrong with the simple country dress?
5. Who comes to visit Kate as she is contemplating the evening and meeting Marlow?
(a) Mrs. Hardcastle wanting to know what her husband told Kate.
(b) Constance Neville, her best friend.
(c) The maid with a glass of milk.
(d) Tony Lumpkin, her stepbrother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tony suddenly brave enough to play a prank on Hardcastle and his guests.
2. Giving up on following Tony's directions, what does Marlow do?
3. When Marlow and Hastings enter the Three Pigeons, Marlow is complaining about the distance they came. What does Hastings say?
4. What comment does the landlord of the Three Pigeons make about Hardcastle's inn?
5. Why is Mrs. Hardcastle trying to make a match between Tony and Constance?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)