|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kennedy say about her own experience as a mother?
2. What does Kennedy say is the same in each stage of life?
3. To what does Linda Pastan compare babies?
4. Who is Louise Gluck's best friend?
5. What does Kennedy say mothers do to give their children power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Patterns about?
2. What is The Dream That I Told My Mother-in-Law about?
3. What is Magnificat about?
4. What is Somebody's Mother about?
5. What is To Flush, My Dog about?
6. What is if there are any heavens my mother will(all by herself)have about?
7. What is Older, Younger, Both about?
8. What is The Rhodora about?
9. What is The Widow's Lament in Springtime about?
10. What is When One Has Lived a Long Time Alone about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Laughter and happiness are common themes found in this book. Where do these come into play, and how are the poems with those themes different from the others in this book?
Essay Topic 2
What message is Kennedy trying to send about marriage in this book, and where do you think her ideas about marriage came from?
Essay Topic 3
Solitude was something that Kennedy found very important in her life. Where did she find it, and how did this solitude affect her writing style?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)