|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in each stanza of Nobody Knows But Mother?
2. What does Kennedy say about her own experience as a mother?
3. What does Kennedy say nobody wants to be?
4. How does Christina Rossetti want to be remembered?
5. Whom does Blake find dead in a garden one morning in Poison Tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Older, Younger, Both about?
2. What is Zazen on Ching-t'ing Mountain about?
3. What is The Great Lover about?
4. What is The Dream That I Told My Mother-in-Law about?
5. What is Living about?
6. What is Somebody's Mother about?
7. What is Roses Only about?
8. What is To Flush, My Dog about?
9. What is "to my last period" about?
10. What is Secret Lives about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion was a theme that was touched on a number of times in this book. Where did this theme appear, and what are some of the different ways this theme was introduced?
Essay Topic 2
To which of these poems did you relate most and why? What about that particular poem touched you in a personal way?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Kennedy have such a strong connection to poetry, and how does this change the selection her poems in this collection?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)