|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kennedy say mothers do to give their children power?
(a) All of these.
(b) Believe in them.
(c) Teach them.
(d) Love them.
2. Why does the person in We Know This Much know that death is not a good thing?
(a) She had a dream.
(b) It feels too scary.
(c) There is no proof.
(d) The gods don't die.
3. How does Christina Rossetti want to be remembered?
(a) With accuracy.
(b) With mercy.
(c) With a smile.
(d) With fondness.
4. Who wrote The Summer Day?
(a) Julia Avarez.
(b) Edna St. Vincent Millay.
(c) Mary Oliver.
(d) Sylvia Plath.
5. What does Nikki Giovanni say is the most important part of friendship?
(a) The love they share.
(b) What they are together.
(c) Not being judged.
(d) Having a safe place.
6. Whom does Kennedy talk about in the introduction to the section about beauty?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her best friend.
(d) His sister.
7. Kennedy says parents become dependent on ____________.
(a) Their children.
(b) Their God.
(c) Their spouses.
(d) All of these.
8. What does Kennedy say about her own experience as a mother?
(a) It was the most rewarding path she could have taken.
(b) It is the best thing that ever happened to her.
(c) It was something she never saw for herself.
(d) It was not at all what she imagined.
9. When does Emily Dickinson say the most solemn industry happens?
(a) The cimax of sickness.
(b) The hour of deliverance.
(c) The death bed.
(d) The morning after death.
10. What game does Sharon Olds play in Socks?
(a) Dinosar Dance.
(b) Astronaut Landing.
(c) Storm Troopers.
(d) Ninja Death.
11. What does Sylvia Plath lose in Face Lift?
(a) Her age.
(b) Her wisdom.
(c) Her identity.
(d) Her confidence.
12. Who asked the question, What do Women Want?
13. What is the main concern for the couple in Death, Etc.?
(a) Which of them will die first.
(b) What to do with the man they killed.
(c) Their dying son.
(d) How to arrange their will.
14. What does Kennedy say nobody wants to be?
(d) Middle aged.
15. What does Kennedy say is the same in each stage of life?
(a) They are not what we expect.
(b) They pass to fast.
(c) They last too long.
(d) They bring pain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does steady pleasure come from in Fatigue?
2. What does Yeats fear in A Cradle Song?
3. Whom does Seamus Haney write to in In Memoriam MKH (1911-1984)?
4. What does Kennedy say defines a mother's character?
5. What choices does Kennedy say are the most important?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)