|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what is the Duke of Wellington worried?
(a) The quality and numbers of his troops.
(b) His wife's pregnancy.
(c) Getting back to England.
(d) His daughter's illness.
2. How many men has Napoleon gathered to his army in 107 days?
3. What abates the Prince of York's excitement?
(a) The first French attack.
(b) The Dragoons capture the Prince.
(c) His new warhorse is killed almost immediately.
(d) The French change direction and the Prince's troops do not get to fight.
4. What happens when Halkett obeys the Prince of Orange's orders?
(a) Halkett's men flee the battle.
(b) The Prince of Orange is relieved of his command.
(c) The Cuirassiers attack Halkett's line.
(d) The Duke of Wellington countermands the order.
5. What does Jane discover?
(a) She truly loves Sharpe.
(b) She is dying.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is homesick for England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bonaparte consider the enemy to be?
2. What month of the year is it when the story opens?
3. What does Sharpe do before returning to Quartre Bras?
4. From where do Harper and Sharpe withdraw?
5. Why is the Duchess apprehensive of Rossendale being at her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 10 what do each of the characters in the story face?
2. To whom does Sharpe send a note when he encounters men from the German Legion and what is the response? Why does he respond that way?
3. What is it about the British muskets that proves the beginning of the French's downfall?
4. What do the French attempt to do to the British infantry squares and what is the result?
5. What is the result of Sharpe's actions about the Prince of Orange?
6. What does the Dutch-Belgian cavalry refuse to do in Chapter 18 and what does Sharpe do about it?
7. How does D'Alembord's premonition show courage?
8. Who is Sharpe's mother and in what wars has he fought? To whom is he attached now?
9. What does John Rossendale tell his fellow officers about the condition of his sword and pistol in Chapter 10?
10. What do Sharpe and Harper do on the second night of battle?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)