|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the most casualties to the Dragoons from the Prussians?
(a) The elite cavalry of the Prussian army.
(b) A ditch filled with pitch that they light.
(c) Their sharpshooter brigade.
(d) Hidden cannons.
2. How are the Brunswickers identified?
(a) Green coats.
(b) Feathers in their caps.
(c) Black coats.
(d) Yellow coats.
3. What must Sharpe do by the Prince of Orange's orders?
(a) Attend a ball in Brussels and wear a Dutch uniform.
(b) Take a force of riflemen to flank the Dragoons.
(c) Stay with the Prince and not go out to the front lines.
(d) Reconcile with Rossendale.
4. What do the men under Sharpe's leadership do when they cannot form a square?
(b) Run for the high ground to reform.
(c) Retreat to the trees.
(d) Run behind the cavalry as back up.
5. What dinner do Harper and Sharpe share?
(a) Roasted pig.
(b) Hard biscuits and dried pork.
(c) Beef jerky.
(d) Roasted horse meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is the Duke of Wellington worried?
2. Why might Sharpe not come to the Duchess's home?
3. Where is the lone horseman approaching at the opening of chapter 3?
4. To whom is a note about the French advance delivered?
5. What order is Sharpe given?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Duke of Wellington read at the ball that interrupts his participation? What does he do after he reads the dispatch?
2. Why is the Duchess of Richmond apprehensive about John Rossendale?
3. To whom does Sharpe send a note when he encounters men from the German Legion and what is the response? Why does he respond that way?
4. What is one of the first blunders committed by the Prince of Orange?
5. What town on the river Sambre is easily taken by the French, who tries to stop them, and what does this mean in tactical terms?
6. How do the French feel about the outcome of the war and why haven't the Prussians come to help the British?
7. What is the ultimate end of the second day of the novel?
8. What actions of the Dutch-Belgium cavalry in Chapter 7 tell the reader about their ability? What impressions might their actions give?
9. What do Rebecque and Sharpe decide Sharpe should do as they study a map of the area?
10. Why are the Dutch-Belgium troops unable to fight well?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)