|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What month of the year is it when the story opens?
2. What happens to the Dutch-Belgian guns and infantry?
(a) They are slaughtered almost to a man.
(b) They are flanked and surrender.
(c) They confuse their orders and are not where they are supposed to be.
(d) They leave the battlefield in a blind panic.
3. How does the Duke of Wellington treat the Prince of Orange?
(a) He commiserates with the Prince.
(b) In an official capacity.
4. How are the French Dragoons received by the Belgium people?
(a) The Dragoons are ignored.
(b) The Dragoons are fired upon.
(c) Some welcome the Dragoons, but most revile them.
(d) The Dragoons are welcomed.
5. Why is the Prince of Orange enraged?
(a) Because his infantry collapse on the first attack and his cavalry is routed by the French lancers.
(b) Because he thinks he should lead a charge against the Cuirassiers.
(c) Because his reserve war horse has also been killed.
(d) Because the Duke of Wellington snubs him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sharpe wonder about atoning to for his insubordination?
2. Upon whose staff is the horseman?
3. What must Sharpe do by the Prince of Orange's orders?
4. Who is Prince William of Orange?
5. What does Bonaparte consider the enemy to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bonaparte thinking about as he sits in his coach near where the French come into Belgium?
2. Why is the Duke of Wellington worried about his troops and what kinds of troops does he have?
3. Who does Sharpe see as he leaves Wellington to return to the crossroads? What does he do?
4. To whom does Sharpe send a note when he encounters men from the German Legion and what is the response? Why does he respond that way?
5. What does Sharpe do when he and Doggett see a battalion of French while scouting the crossroad area?
6. Why is the Duchess of Richmond apprehensive about John Rossendale?
7. What town on the river Sambre is easily taken by the French, who tries to stop them, and what does this mean in tactical terms?
8. What do Sharpe and Harper do on the second night of battle?
9. Why are the Dutch-Belgium troops unable to fight well?
10. What do Rebecque and Sharpe decide Sharpe should do as they study a map of the area?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)