|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the Prince of Orange enraged?
(a) Because he thinks he should lead a charge against the Cuirassiers.
(b) Because his infantry collapse on the first attack and his cavalry is routed by the French lancers.
(c) Because his reserve war horse has also been killed.
(d) Because the Duke of Wellington snubs him.
2. Why is the Prince of Orange excited?
(a) He receives a letter from his father stating that he is receiving the title early to an estate he loves.
(b) He expects a great victory against the French.
(c) He just got a new warhorse.
(d) He has just become betrothed and wants a victory to impress his fiance.
3. How does the Duke of Wellington consider his English cavalry?
(a) As so incompetent they jeopardize other units.
(b) As his finest soldiers.
(c) As sensitive, undisciplined and prone to moments of insanity.
(d) As fine horsemen but terrible marksmen.
4. What month of the year is it when the story opens?
5. Who are the Cuirassiers?
(a) The French pikemen.
(b) The Dutch special lance brigade.
(c) A band of pirates who have thrown in with the French.
(d) The "big brothers" of the French army on heavy horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jane discover?
2. Who joins the fray who Sharpe and Harper recognize?
3. About what is the Duke of Wellington worried?
4. To whom is a note about the French advance delivered?
5. What does Bonaparte consider the enemy to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Dutch-Belgium troops unable to fight well?
2. What does Sharpe tell the Prince concerning the Hanoverians in Chapter 17?
3. What explanations about British firing techniques are described in great detail in chapter 15?
4. What is the difference between the disposition of the Allied Forces and the French in Chapter 13? For what does this afford the author an opportunity?
5. What is it about the British muskets that proves the beginning of the French's downfall?
6. What charge of heavy cavalry is described in Chapter 15 and what two roles do the horses have?
7. What does Sharpe do when he and Doggett see a battalion of French while scouting the crossroad area?
8. What type of technical details are seen in Chapter 8?
9. What actions of the Dutch-Belgium cavalry in Chapter 7 tell the reader about their ability? What impressions might their actions give?
10. What is the result of Sharpe's actions about the Prince of Orange?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)