|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What month of the year is it when the story opens?
2. Where is Napoleon Bonaparte as the Dragoons cross into Belgium?
(a) On Elba Island.
(b) In Russia.
(c) About 10 miles south of the entry place.
(d) In Paris.
3. Why is the Duchess apprehensive of Rossendale being at her home?
(a) Because he would be disobeying orders to come there.
(b) Because Lieutenant-Colonel Sharpe will be there and Rossendale's mistress is Sharpe's unfaithful wife, Jane.
(c) Because Napoleon will kill her if he finds out.
(d) She is not apprehensive.
4. Why is the Prince of Orange enraged?
(a) Because he thinks he should lead a charge against the Cuirassiers.
(b) Because his reserve war horse has also been killed.
(c) Because his infantry collapse on the first attack and his cavalry is routed by the French lancers.
(d) Because the Duke of Wellington snubs him.
5. What happens to the 69th battalion?
(a) It is completely destroyed.
(b) It regroups and marches towards Brussels.
(c) It reforms with another battalion and they become the 72nd battalion.
(d) It captures Quatre Bras.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bonaparte consider the enemy to be?
2. Where do Sharpe and Doggett find a French battalion?
3. What happens to the Dutch-Belgian guns and infantry?
4. What do Harper and Sharpe contemplate?
5. What do the men under Sharpe's leadership do when they cannot form a square?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the types of infantry attack used in the battle for Quatre Bras?
2. What does the Duke of Wellington read at the ball that interrupts his participation? What does he do after he reads the dispatch?
3. What type of technical details are seen in Chapter 8?
4. Why is the Duchess of Richmond apprehensive about John Rossendale?
5. What town on the river Sambre is easily taken by the French, who tries to stop them, and what does this mean in tactical terms?
6. What is the ultimate end of the second day of the novel?
7. What do Rebecque and Sharpe decide Sharpe should do as they study a map of the area?
8. Why are the French able to cross into Belgium and what type of resistance is there?
9. What actions of the Dutch-Belgium cavalry in Chapter 7 tell the reader about their ability? What impressions might their actions give?
10. Why is the Duke of Wellington worried about his troops and what kinds of troops does he have?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)