|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who joins the fray who Sharpe and Harper recognize?
(a) The 94th Riflemen Battalion.
(b) The Duke of York's levy.
(c) The Prince of Wale's Own Volunteers.
(d) The Duke of Northampton's levy.
2. How is the horseman dressed?
(a) In a medley of different national uniforms.
(b) In fine, nobleman's clothing.
(c) Like a monk.
(d) In a bard's outfit.
3. What is the Duchess of Richmond preparing to give?
(a) A sumptuous ball in a large rented house.
(b) A dinner party.
(c) A recital.
(d) A report of the French invasion to the Belgium king.
4. What is the horseman attempting to do?
(a) Get close enough to Napoleon to assassinate him.
(b) Inform the allied headquarters if the French have indeed entered Belgium in force.
(c) Desert his post.
(d) Be accepted into the French ranks in order to spy.
5. Who does Sharpe wonder about atoning to for his insubordination?
(a) The Duke of Wellington.
(b) The Prince of Wales.
(c) The Prince of Orange.
(d) The Duke of York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the lone horseman approaching at the opening of chapter 3?
2. What month of the year is it when the story opens?
3. To whom is a note about the French advance delivered?
4. How does the Duke of Wellington treat the Prince of Orange?
5. Why is the Duchess apprehensive of Rossendale being at her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Sharpe and Harper do on the second night of battle?
2. What does the Duke of Wellington read at the ball that interrupts his participation? What does he do after he reads the dispatch?
3. What type of technical details are seen in Chapter 8?
4. What becomes a major source of friction between the Prince of Orange and Sharpe? Why is Sharpe with the Prince?
5. Why is the Duchess of Richmond apprehensive about John Rossendale?
6. What did the actions in Chapter 7 show about the Prince of Orange and some of the other British officers?
7. What is the ultimate end of the second day of the novel?
8. What is used on the field of battle besides weapons and men and why?
9. Why is the Duke of Wellington worried about his troops and what kinds of troops does he have?
10. Who is Sharpe's mother and in what wars has he fought? To whom is he attached now?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)