|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bonaparte consider the enemy to be?
(a) Highly trained.
(b) English scum and their Prussian hirelings.
(c) Greatly outnumbered.
2. What is given to the general of the French dragoons in Charleroi?
(a) Misleading information.
(b) A bunch of violets.
(c) A map showing the English gun emplacements.
(d) A 21-gun salute.
3. What does the horseman's hat look like?
(a) It shows the scarlet, gold, and black cockade of the Netherlands.
(b) It is dressed with a band with the Russian colors.
(c) Like an English officer's hat.
(d) Like it has been shot.
4. What do Sharpe and Rebecque draft in Chapter 5?
(a) An order for Prince Bernhard of Saxe-Weimar, ostensibly from the Prince of Orange.
(b) A letter releasing Rossendale from service.
(c) A group of Belgium farmers.
(d) A herd of horses for their cavalry.
5. What order does Sharpe refuse to take to Halkett?
(a) That Halkett stay in place in his square.
(b) That Halkett move East one mile.
(c) That Halkett retreat.
(d) That Halkett's men form a line.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Napoleon's campaign in Belgium?
2. Who captures the 69th battalion's colours?
3. What must Sharpe do by the Prince of Orange's orders?
4. About what is the Duke of Wellington worried?
5. What do the men under Sharpe's leadership do when they cannot form a square?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the French able to cross into Belgium and what type of resistance is there?
2. What town on the river Sambre is easily taken by the French, who tries to stop them, and what does this mean in tactical terms?
3. What do Sharpe and Harper do on the second night of battle?
4. What is one of the first blunders committed by the Prince of Orange?
5. What becomes a major source of friction between the Prince of Orange and Sharpe? Why is Sharpe with the Prince?
6. Who does Sharpe see as he leaves Wellington to return to the crossroads? What does he do?
7. What is used on the field of battle besides weapons and men and why?
8. Why are the Dutch-Belgium troops unable to fight well?
9. Why is the Duke of Wellington worried about his troops and what kinds of troops does he have?
10. What is the ultimate end of the second day of the novel?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)