|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lucille?
(a) The Duchess of Richmond's handmaiden.
(b) Sharpe's sister-in-law.
(c) Sharpe's mistress.
(d) Sharpe's new wife.
2. Where is the lone horseman approaching at the opening of chapter 3?
3. What happens to Saxe-Weimar's men?
(a) They are the first to be slaughtered.
(b) They surrender.
(c) They turncoat and join the French in attacking the Prince of Orange's troops.
(d) They retreat in an orderly fashion.
4. Who joins the fray who Sharpe and Harper recognize?
(a) The Duke of York's levy.
(b) The Prince of Wale's Own Volunteers.
(c) The Duke of Northampton's levy.
(d) The 94th Riflemen Battalion.
5. How many more rivers does Napoleon have to cross before reaching Brussels?
Short Answer Questions
1. What stops the cavalry advance of the Prince of Orange?
2. Why is the Prince of Orange enraged?
3. What is Lucille most afraid of as she says goodbye to Sharpe?
4. Why is the Prince of Orange excited?
5. Who arrives to drive off the French skirmishers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What town on the river Sambre is easily taken by the French, who tries to stop them, and what does this mean in tactical terms?
2. What is one of the first blunders committed by the Prince of Orange?
3. Why is the Duchess of Richmond apprehensive about John Rossendale?
4. Why are the Dutch-Belgium troops unable to fight well?
5. What becomes a major source of friction between the Prince of Orange and Sharpe? Why is Sharpe with the Prince?
6. What does Sharpe do when he and Doggett see a battalion of French while scouting the crossroad area?
7. Why is the Duke of Wellington worried about his troops and what kinds of troops does he have?
8. What is Bonaparte thinking about as he sits in his coach near where the French come into Belgium?
9. What is the ultimate end of the second day of the novel?
10. Who does Sharpe see as he leaves Wellington to return to the crossroads? What does he do?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)