|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Harper and Sharpe contemplate?
(a) Whether to request reassignment to an English brigade.
(b) Whether to lodge an official complaint against the Prince of Orange.
(c) What they should do next.
(d) Whether to retire from the military.
2. Why do the Belgian cavalry flee?
(a) They secretly root for Napoleon's victory.
(b) They are afraid to attack the more experienced French cavalry.
(c) They had belonged to the French cavalry the year previously.
(d) They do not like the Prince of Orange.
3. How are the Brunswickers identified?
(a) Black coats.
(b) Feathers in their caps.
(c) Yellow coats.
(d) Green coats.
4. How old is Napoleon's campaign in Belgium?
(a) 24 hours.
(b) One week.
(c) Less than 48 hours.
(d) 10 hours.
5. Why is the Duchess apprehensive of Rossendale being at her home?
(a) Because he would be disobeying orders to come there.
(b) She is not apprehensive.
(c) Because Napoleon will kill her if he finds out.
(d) Because Lieutenant-Colonel Sharpe will be there and Rossendale's mistress is Sharpe's unfaithful wife, Jane.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at Quatre Bras with the British Light Cavalry?
2. What does Sharpe order Doggett to do?
3. Who joins the fray who Sharpe and Harper recognize?
4. Upon whose staff is the horseman?
5. What does Jane discover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who leads the Imperial Guard towards the British? Describe their type of unit and their reputation. How successful are British cannons against them?
2. What town on the river Sambre is easily taken by the French, who tries to stop them, and what does this mean in tactical terms?
3. What stops the French from pursuing the retreating British army?
4. What does Sharpe decide to do when he hears about the Prince of Orange's last blunder in Chapter 19?
5. What is one of the first blunders committed by the Prince of Orange?
6. Why is the Duchess of Richmond apprehensive about John Rossendale?
7. How do Sharpe and other British officers react to the sight of Napoleon and what might be the intent of Napoleon in that regard?
8. What does the Duke of Wellington do to answer the Imperial Guard?
9. Why are the French able to cross into Belgium and what type of resistance is there?
10. What does the Duke of Wellington read at the ball that interrupts his participation? What does he do after he reads the dispatch?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)