|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sharpe spot going into the ship's hold?
2. What has caused some men's noses to bleed?
3. What do sailors like to grease ladders with as a practical joke?
4. What word in his letter did Braithwaite underline?
5. What ship did the Pucelle destroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Lord Nelson's views on modesty?
2. What makes Clouter such a good fighter?
3. What are Lord William's thoughts on Braithwaite's death?
4. What does Sharpe think of Admiral Nelson?
5. What does Braitwaite say in his letter to Lord William?
6. How does Sharpe kill Braithwaite?
7. How does Chase get the boat to go faster when the wind drops?
8. What does lady Grace say her life would be like if Sharpe killed Lord William?
9. What does Braithwaite say to Sharpe in a effect to call a truce?
10. Why does Sharpe decide to give into Armstrong's leadership?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Cornwell develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
What qualities make a good soldier? Which characters in the book make good soldiers and why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)