|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the American ship carrying to Mauritius?
2. What country does Cromwell call a land of slaves?
3. What does everyone call the Company's symbol?
4. Whose life did Sharpe save in Assaye?
5. What kind of accent does the naval captain have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is life like for Sharpe on the ship?
2. Why does Sharpe decide to hand his diamonds to Cromwell for safekeeping?
3. How did Sharpe pay for his voyage back to England?
4. What is Chase's plans for the Revenant?
5. What are Braithwaite's reasons for blackmailing Sharpe?
6. Who is Anthony Pohlman?
7. What are Lord William's views on officers?
8. What is Sharpe's opinion of Lord William Hale?
9. How does Sharpe kill Barsey?
10. Why does Chase say he doesn't like women aboard his ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view violence?
2. Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that the author portrays?
3. How did the public react to the book's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Sharpe have such appreciation for India? What does his thoughts say about his mindset at the beginning of the novel? What do the students think Sharpe would think about India if he went back?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)