|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Cromwell call a land of slaves?
2. What does revenant mean in French?
3. What nation does Cromwell call insolent?
4. How does Chase say Panjit and Nana took their defeat?
5. What two places in England does Sharpe say he has lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sharpe help prepare for battle with the Revenant?
2. What are Lord William's views on officers?
3. How does Sharpe save Captain Chase and his men?
4. Why does Chase say he doesn't like women aboard his ship?
5. How did Sharpe pay for his voyage back to England?
6. What is Sharpe's opinion of India?
7. How does Sharpe persuade Braithwaite to keep quiet about his affair with Lady Grace?
8. How does the author describe Bursay?
9. What are Braithwaite's reasons for blackmailing Sharpe?
10. How does Sharpe kill Barsey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What qualities make a good soldier? Which characters in the book make good soldiers and why?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)