|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bursay use to strike Sharpe across the head?
2. What does Fairley tell Sharpe he will pay him like if he works for him?
3. What is Baron Von Dornberg's real name?
4. Why does Sharpe believe Cromwell sold the ship to the French?
5. What book does Dalton lend Sharpe in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excuse do the French offer for Bursay's actions?
2. What is Sharpe talking to Nana Rao about at the beginning of this section?
3. What does Sharpe tell Chase about Pohlmann?
4. How does the author describe Bursay?
5. What are Lord William's views on officers?
6. What is Sharpe's opinion of Lord William Hale?
7. Why does Lady Grace begin to worry Sharpe in chapter six?
8. What is Chase's plans for the Revenant?
9. What is life like for Sharpe on the ship?
10. Why does Sharpe decide to hand his diamonds to Cromwell for safekeeping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view violence?
2. Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that the author portrays?
3. How did the public react to the book's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 3
What qualities make a good soldier? Which characters in the book make good soldiers and why?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)