|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cromwell say his parents sent him to the sea?
2. What kind of tree do the lanterns in the yard hang from?
3. What does pucelle mean in French?
4. Why does her Ladyship say she hates India?
5. What is the American ship carrying to Mauritius?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sharpe's opinion of Lord William Hale?
2. How does Sharpe kill Barsey?
3. Why is Lady Grace so furious with Lord William in this section?
4. What is Sharpe's opinion of England?
5. Why does Sharpe decide to hand his diamonds to Cromwell for safekeeping?
6. What does Sharpe think Cromwell and Pohlmann have been planning?
7. How does Sharpe help prepare for battle with the Revenant?
8. How did Sharpe pay for his voyage back to England?
9. What are Braithwaite's reasons for blackmailing Sharpe?
10. Why does Lady Grace begin to worry Sharpe in chapter six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Cornwell develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)