|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of accent does the naval captain have?
2. Who is Sharpe pursued by in his dream?
3. What happens to people in India who don't find wealth?
4. What does Fairley tell Sharpe he will pay him like if he works for him?
5. What German city does Pohlmann say he lives in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Anthony Pohlman?
2. Why does Sharpe decide to hand his diamonds to Cromwell for safekeeping?
3. What does Sharpe tell Lord William about the Mahrattas?
4. How does Sharpe kill Braithwaite?
5. Retell the story Chase tells Sharpe and Nelson and Tom Hardy.
6. What does Sharpe think of Admiral Nelson?
7. What is Sharpe's opinion of India?
8. What deal do Sharpe and Chase make with Nana and Pajito?
9. What does Braitwaite say in his letter to Lord William?
10. How does Sharpe help out Lord and Lady Hale in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ask the students to examine 19th century views on race and gender. How does the author counter these views with modern ideas about the same subjects? What effect does this have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Sharpe seems to have more advance view on race and gender? Is this an accurate representation of a soldier in the 19th century? What would make Sharpe's character more realistic?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Cornwell develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
This section contains 1,497 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)