|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lord William say was a dunce at school?
2. What German city does Pohlmann say he lives in?
3. What does Nana Rao have protecting his warehouse?
4. What has Lieutenant Bursay's face been scarred by?
5. What does Lord William say officers should be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe Bursay?
2. What deal do Sharpe and Chase make with Nana and Pajito?
3. What is life like for Sharpe on the ship?
4. How does Sharpe kill Barsey?
5. Why does Sharpe decide to tell Lady Grace the secret about Pohlmann?
6. How does Sharpe help prepare for battle with the Revenant?
7. Why does Lady Grace begin to worry Sharpe in chapter six?
8. Why does Chase say he doesn't like women aboard his ship?
9. Why is Lady Grace so furious with Lord William in this section?
10. What does Lady Grace tell Sharpe when she sneaks away from Lord William?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters in the book and discuss how he or she would cope in two of the following scenarios.
1. There is a mutiny aboard the Purcelle.
2. The Purcelle is attacked by pirates.
3. Peel takes over leadership of the Purcelle.
4. The Purcelle sailors have to swim ashore after the ship is destroyed.
5. Lord William writes a negative report of the British Navy during Trafalgar.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Ask the students to examine 19th century views on race and gender. How does the author counter these views with modern ideas about the same subjects? What effect does this have on the story?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)