|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Cromell looking after for Dalton?
2. What does Braithwaite tell Sharpe he can purchase from him?
3. Who is Sharpe pursued by in his dream?
4. What does Sharpe consider as his home?
5. What kind of tree do the lanterns in the yard hang from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Anthony Pohlman?
2. Why does Lady Grace begin to worry Sharpe in chapter six?
3. What does Sharpe think Cromwell and Pohlmann have been planning?
4. What do the other people aboard the ship think of Sharpe's affair with Lady Grace?
5. What is Sharpe talking to Nana Rao about at the beginning of this section?
6. How does Sharpe persuade Braithwaite to keep quiet about his affair with Lady Grace?
7. Why does Chase say he doesn't like women aboard his ship?
8. Why does Sharpe decide to hand his diamonds to Cromwell for safekeeping?
9. Why is Braithwaite so bitter about life?
10. What does Sharpe tell Chase about Pohlmann?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Sharpe's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to his character at the end.
1. What did Sharpe hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events change Sharpe's ideas about life?
3. How has Sharpe's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in the book and discuss how he or she would cope in two of the following scenarios.
1. There is a mutiny aboard the Purcelle.
2. The Purcelle is attacked by pirates.
3. Peel takes over leadership of the Purcelle.
4. The Purcelle sailors have to swim ashore after the ship is destroyed.
5. Lord William writes a negative report of the British Navy during Trafalgar.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)