|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Panjit tell the naval captain he will do if he doesn't leave his property?
2. What has made holes in the ship's cheese?
3. What does Lord William say the army need to win battles?
4. What does Sharpe consider as his home?
5. Who does Cromwell say the French don't make war on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is life like for Sharpe on the ship?
2. What excuse do the French offer for Bursay's actions?
3. What is Sharpe's opinion of England?
4. Why does Lady Grace say she is so unhappy?
5. What deal do Sharpe and Chase make with Nana and Pajito?
6. How does Sharpe help prepare for battle with the Revenant?
7. Why does Lady Grace begin to worry Sharpe in chapter six?
8. Why does Chase say he doesn't like women aboard his ship?
9. What does Sharpe think Cromwell and Pohlmann have been planning?
10. Why is the food on the ship turned so bad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What will happen to the characters in the future? What happens in the book that suggests the characters lives will map out like this?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters in the book and discuss how he or she would cope in two of the following scenarios.
1. There is a mutiny aboard the Purcelle.
2. The Purcelle is attacked by pirates.
3. Peel takes over leadership of the Purcelle.
4. The Purcelle sailors have to swim ashore after the ship is destroyed.
5. Lord William writes a negative report of the British Navy during Trafalgar.
Essay Topic 3
Ask the students to examine 19th century views on race and gender. How does the author counter these views with modern ideas about the same subjects? What effect does this have on the story?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)