|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Wellesey say was more valuable than a soldier's sword?
2. In which part of Bombay sit the wealthy houses?
3. How does Panjit attract the attention of the painted god in a niche in the courtyard wall?
4. What does Sharpe consider as his home?
5. Who kills their victims by wringing their necks like chickens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sharpe kill Valliard?
2. What does Sharpe think of Admiral Nelson?
3. Why does Sharpe decide to tell Lady Grace the secret about Pohlmann?
4. How do the sailors cope with having to wait to go into battle?
5. What is Sharpe's opinion of Lord William Hale?
6. Retell the story Chase tells Sharpe and Nelson and Tom Hardy.
7. How does Sharpe help Lady Grace in this section?
8. Why does Lady Grace begin to worry Sharpe in chapter six?
9. What is Chase's plans for the Revenant?
10. What are Lord William's thoughts on Braithwaite's death?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1800s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 1,515 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)