|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Cromwell call a land of slaves?
2. What does Panjit tell the naval captain he will do if he doesn't leave his property?
3. What has Lieutenant Bursay's face been scarred by?
4. What is the language of diplomacy?
5. What does Lord William say officers should be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Chase's plans for the Revenant?
2. How did Sharpe pay for his voyage back to England?
3. Why does Chase say he doesn't like women aboard his ship?
4. Why does Lady Grace say she is so unhappy?
5. Why is Braithwaite so bitter about life?
6. How does Sharpe save Captain Chase and his men?
7. What does Sharpe think Cromwell and Pohlmann have been planning?
8. Why does Lady Grace begin to worry Sharpe in chapter six?
9. How does Sharpe help prepare for battle with the Revenant?
10. What is Sharpe's opinion of England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1800s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Ask the students to examine 19th century views on race and gender. How does the author counter these views with modern ideas about the same subjects? What effect does this have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view violence?
2. Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that the author portrays?
3. How did the public react to the book's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)