|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose life did Sharpe save in Assaye?
2. Which of the ladyship's features make her look sad?
3. What does Fairley tell Sharpe he will pay him like if he works for him?
4. What is Sharpe's most striking feature?
5. In which part of Bombay sit the wealthy houses?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sharpe pay for his voyage back to England?
2. What are Braithwaite's reasons for blackmailing Sharpe?
3. How do the sailors cope with having to wait to go into battle?
4. How does Sharpe kill Braithwaite?
5. What is Chase's life like back in England?
6. How does Chase persuade Collier to go into hiding during battle?
7. Why does Sharpe decide to give into Armstrong's leadership?
8. What are Lord Nelson's views on modesty?
9. Summarize the novel.
10. What does Sharpe tell Lord William about the Mahrattas?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1800s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Sharpe have such appreciation for India? What does his thoughts say about his mindset at the beginning of the novel? What do the students think Sharpe would think about India if he went back?
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)