|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Sharpe a disgrace at Helena's party?
2. Why does Sharpe not shoot Leroux when he rides away?
3. What is Sharpe's wife's name?
4. Why does Sharpe hesitate to go to Helena's party?
5. What does Sharpe think of La Marquesa when he first meets her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leroux plan to complete his job in France?
2. What is Sharpe impressed by when he first meets Leroux?
3. What is Helena's biggest fear?
4. What do the British troops do just before the French troops retreat for the first time in the book?
5. How does Leroux get into the British Army base at the beginning of the book?
6. What insult does Sharpe receive while he is talking to La MarQuesa, and how does he respond to this?
7. What does Helena ask Spears about Sharpe, and how does he respond?
8. How was Spears wounded, and how did that happen?
9. What does Sharpe say to Helena about Wellington's battle abilities?
10. How does Sharpe spend his time after learning Helena's identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different locations. Describe some of these settings and how they affected Sharpe. Why might Bernard Cornwell have chosen these particular places and events to share in this story line?
Essay Topic 2
The people in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the people around them.
Essay Topic 3
There were a number of sacrifices made by Sharpe and the people around him. What are some examples of this, and who is most impacted by these sacrifices?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)