|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sharpe feel about the city where he is stationed?
2. Mirador is the leader of __________.
3. What does Hogan do when he first meets with Sharpe?
4. Who kills Windham?
5. Where does Harper hear of Sharpe's fake affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sharpe help the retreating British after the failed assault on the French forts?
2. Why is Sharpe taken to Connelley's tent?
3. What is Sharpe impressed by when he first meets Leroux?
4. What does Harper find in the last fort while searching for Leroux's body?
5. Why does Helena say she doesn't ask higher ranked people than Sharpe about the battle?
6. How does Leroux plan to complete his job in France?
7. What does Sharpe think when he first meets La MarQuesa?
8. How does Sharpe explain his absences to Spears?
9. What do the British troops do just before the French troops retreat for the first time in the book?
10. What does Helena ask Spears about Sharpe, and how does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Sharpe's relationship with Helena change over the course of this book? What caused these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of this plot?
Essay Topic 2
There were a number of sacrifices made by Sharpe and the people around him. What are some examples of this, and who is most impacted by these sacrifices?
Essay Topic 3
Pride is a very basic and obvious trait of Sharpe's. What is the difference between pride and confidence, and where in the book do these two traits appear? Are they benefits or burdens to Sharpe in his career?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)