|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Coignet raise an alarm?
(a) He hears Major Tubbs talking to Sharpe.
(b) He sees Sharpe's men trying to light the outer gates of the fort.
(c) He does not raise an alarm.
(d) He sees smoke coming through the floorboards.
2. What does Pailleterie order his men to do as rifle fire commences?
(b) Sheath their sabers and load their muskets.
(c) Draw their sabers.
(d) Nothing; he has panicked.
3. What does Sharpe order his men to do when he runs back to the village?
(a) Retreat to the farmhouse.
(b) Prepare to storm the fort.
(c) Start setting the fort's timbers on fire.
(d) Retreat to the river.
4. What grabs Sharpe's attention as he and Teresa are talking?
(a) A shout from the bridge.
(b) The sound of canons.
(c) The sound of a horse screaming.
(d) An explosion from inside the fort.
5. About what is Sharpe at least thankful?
(a) That Major Tubbs is inside the fort and can help Sharpe.
(b) That Teresa presumably made it safely to Avila.
(c) That Harper and his men are safe.
(d) That his infant daughter is not at San Miguel.
Short Answer Questions
1. When should Herault arrive?
2. What has Pailleterie given his men before?
3. Where may Teresa go if the French do not arrive?
4. What does the French commander decide to try to do to Sharpe's men?
5. What else does the French commander decide to try to do to Sharpe's men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pailleterie's reaction when seeing San Miguel?
2. What strategy does Herault choose to fight Sharpe and his men?
3. What does Sharpe order Harper, Cooper and Perkins to do?
4. What does Pailleterie order when it becomes clear that the fire is out of control?
5. Where is Teresa thinking of going, and what does Sharpe suggest about her trip?
6. What does Herault observe when he arrives at San Miguel?
7. What do Teresa's men do that helps the enemy?
8. What does Pailleterie do while waiting for the French reinforcements?
9. Why is Sharpe upset as he sees the French approaching?
10. How does MacKeon again "save the day"?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)