|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pailleterie think is his last chance when he orders his men to charge?
(a) To hold the bridge.
(b) To acquit himself with honor.
(c) To finally get rid of the British from the area.
(d) He knows he can dig in and wait for reinforcements, so he is not worried.
2. What does the French commander decide to try to do to Sharpe's men?
(a) Kill them with his pikemen.
(b) Thin them out.
(c) Lead them into an ambush.
(d) Push them into the river.
3. What does Sharpe order his men to do when he runs back to the village?
(a) Start setting the fort's timbers on fire.
(b) Retreat to the river.
(c) Prepare to storm the fort.
(d) Retreat to the farmhouse.
4. Why are the lancers unable to get by the horses?
(a) The lancers have been cut off from their lances to resupply.
(b) The lancers are being beset from three sides.
(c) The horses have refused to move forward.
(d) The horses are in a panic.
5. What does Pailleterie order his men and the prisoners to do?
(a) To smash down the southern wall of the fort.
(b) Gather on to the bridge.
(c) To hold fast.
(d) Gather in the Eastern corner of the fort.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most dangerous time for soldiers on alert?
2. Why does Teresa go to Salamanca?
3. What does Sharpe see is lost?
4. Why has Sharpe made everyone else nervous?
5. Why does Pailleterie shelter his men in the fort?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who raises the alarm about the fire and what do they do?
2. Why is Sharpe upset as he sees the French approaching?
3. What sets Teresa off running for her horse and why is she going for the horse?
4. Why is Sharpe uncertain about how to keep the bridge?
5. Who do Pailleterie and Tubbs discuss and what do they say?
6. How does Pailleterie threaten his men and what is there response?
7. How is Sharpe feeling as dawn approaches, and how do the men respond?
8. What does Sharpe admit to Teresa about his jumpiness?
9. Why is Sharpe now grateful for Harper's earlier disobedience about the wine?
10. How does Sharpe attempt to sabotage the fort?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)