|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather like when the troops of Sharpe and Vivar set off?
(a) Cold and rainy.
(b) Hot and dry.
(c) Warm and clear.
(d) Cold and clear.
2. How long do the troops march?
(a) Until sunset.
(b) Until the late afternoon.
(c) Until just after noon.
(d) All through the night.
3. How many days does Sharpe say they can hold Santiago de Compostela?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Five days.
(d) One day.
4. What does Harper tell Sharpe about the Spanish volunteers?
(a) They won't be ready for another week.
(b) There are not enough of them.
(c) They are ready to go.
(d) They will never be able to fight like soldiers.
5. What does Vivar see when Sharpe removes his shirt?
(a) Two musket ball scars.
(b) Sharpe's flogging scars.
(c) Nothing, he's not seen Sharpe with his shirt off.
(d) The large tattoo on Sharpe's back.
6. What does Vivar want to discuss with Sharpe when Vivar comes to his table?
(a) When the riflemen are leaving.
(b) The ceremony.
(c) The town's defense.
7. What do Sharpe and Harper discuss?
(a) That Harper wants to remain a sergeant permanently.
(b) Whether some of the riflemen should be sent to Lisbon immediately.
(c) Whether Harper will become a sergeant.
(d) Whether they should help Vivar.
8. What does Louisa think might be affected by her current activities?
(a) Her relationship with her aunt and uncle.
(b) Her engagement.
(c) Her inheritance.
(d) Her schooling.
9. At what do the riflemen laugh when they wait for orders?
(a) The ceremony in the chapel.
(b) The way the Spanish volunteers are dancing.
(c) The incompetent French.
(d) Sharpe's trouser leg.
10. Where do the riflemen go after they are gathered together?
(a) They leave the city.
(b) They get up on the city walls.
(c) They surround the palace.
(d) They go to the chapel.
11. What does the French colonel mock?
(a) That the British think they can defeat Napoleon.
(b) That Sharpe considers himself an officer.
(c) The idea of hanging a banner and getting a miracle.
(d) That Sharpe would think such a small group of people could beat the French.
12. How big is the French force in comparison to Sharpe and Vivar's forces?
(a) About equal.
(b) Four times larger.
(c) Twice as large.
(d) About two thirds of their force.
13. What does Sharpe command his riflemen to do?
(a) Bring the caltrops and come with him.
(b) Join the British regiment.
(c) Fire on the French cavalry.
(d) Back up the cazadores.
14. How many men does Sharpe see outside the city?
(a) About three hundred.
(b) About five hundred.
(c) No more than two hundred.
(d) About a thousand.
15. Where do the riflemen gather after fighting with some French from the palace?
(a) Near the city wall.
(b) In the chapel.
(c) At the rear entrance to the palace.
(d) Behind the tavern.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harper say to Sharpe immediately when he answers Sharpe's summons?
2. What does Vivar say he will do if Sharpe does not agree to his plan?
3. What does the French colonel say the French will allow?
4. Where does Sharpe burst into?
5. How does Sharpe get into the palace?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)