|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Sharpe see outside the city?
(a) The Spanish army.
(b) French cavalry.
(c) A British regiment.
(d) A rifle company.
2. To whom does Vivar think the French might surrender?
(b) A British officer.
(c) A Catholic priest.
(d) The town mayor.
3. How many French soldiers does Harper kill inside the chapel?
4. What does Vivar want to discuss with Sharpe when Vivar comes to his table?
(a) The ceremony.
(c) The town's defense.
(d) When the riflemen are leaving.
5. What does Harper say is good for Sharpe?
(a) That he has Harper to look after him.
(b) That a woman turned him down.
(c) That he has found a new uniform.
(d) That the French colonel thinks he's stupid.
6. Where do the riflemen gather after fighting with some French from the palace?
(a) Near the city wall.
(b) In the chapel.
(c) At the rear entrance to the palace.
(d) Behind the tavern.
7. What does the guide want to do when the troops reach a stream?
(a) Bless it with holy water.
(b) Have the men bathe.
(d) Have the men stop to drink.
8. What does the French colonel say about Louisa?
(a) She is in the palace.
(b) She left with other women and children.
(c) He does not know who she is.
(d) She has been wounded.
9. What does the colonel suggest?
(a) A duel.
(b) That he exchange Louisa for Vivar.
(c) A mutual withdrawal from the city.
(d) A truce.
10. What does Louisa think she might be able to do to help with the planned attack?
(a) Seduce the French commander.
(b) Kill the French colonel.
(c) Spread false rumors.
(d) Arouse the countryside.
11. What does Vivar say he must do because of the banner?
(a) Drive the French from Madrid.
(b) Kill Napoleon.
(c) Take the town of Santiago de Compostela.
(d) Destroy Santiago de Compostela.
12. How do the volunteers do when Vivar watches a demonstration?
(a) They are successful with charging but fail in bayonet practice.
(b) They are highly successful.
(c) They fail.
(d) They can shoot well with the muskets.
13. What news do local bandits bring to Vivar?
(a) Lisbon has been captured by the French.
(b) The king of Spain has been killed.
(c) Napoleon is coming to Spain.
(d) Napoleon has ordered the capture of Lisbon by February.
14. What does Sharpe command his riflemen to do?
(a) Fire on the French cavalry.
(b) Join the British regiment.
(c) Back up the cazadores.
(d) Bring the caltrops and come with him.
15. Who wants to give the banner to the French?
(a) The Catholic Church.
(b) Vivar's brother.
(c) No one.
(d) The British.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the legend say will happen if the banner is ever captured?
2. What does Harper say about the riflemen fighting well?
3. What does Sharpe tell the French colonel?
4. How does Sharpe get into the palace?
5. What does the French colonel mock?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)