|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news do local bandits bring to Vivar?
(a) The king of Spain has been killed.
(b) Napoleon has ordered the capture of Lisbon by February.
(c) Napoleon is coming to Spain.
(d) Lisbon has been captured by the French.
2. What does Harper tell Sharpe about the Spanish volunteers?
(a) They will never be able to fight like soldiers.
(b) They are ready to go.
(c) They won't be ready for another week.
(d) There are not enough of them.
3. How do the volunteers do when Vivar watches a demonstration?
(a) They can shoot well with the muskets.
(b) They are successful with charging but fail in bayonet practice.
(c) They fail.
(d) They are highly successful.
4. What do Sharpe and Louisa say to each other when he sees her after the battle?
(a) Sharpe tells her he is angry.
(b) They congratulate each other on the victory.
(c) They missed each other.
(d) They discuss the palace.
5. How many days does Sharpe say they can hold Santiago de Compostela?
(a) Two days.
(b) One day.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three days.
6. What does Vivar say he must do because of the banner?
(a) Take the town of Santiago de Compostela.
(b) Drive the French from Madrid.
(c) Destroy Santiago de Compostela.
(d) Kill Napoleon.
7. What does Vivar see when Sharpe removes his shirt?
(a) Sharpe's flogging scars.
(b) The large tattoo on Sharpe's back.
(c) Nothing, he's not seen Sharpe with his shirt off.
(d) Two musket ball scars.
8. What does the colonel wonder as Sharpe leaves?
(a) If Vivar will come to the palace.
(b) If Colonel d 'Eclin will get back in time.
(c) If Louisa is in the town.
(d) If he has fooled Sharpe.
9. Who will lead the attack?
(a) The riflemen.
(b) The Spanish volunteers.
(c) The cavalry.
(d) The Spanish infantry.
10. What does Vivar think is de l'Eclin's strong point in fighting a battle?
(a) He is only good on offense.
(b) He does best on horseback.
(c) He is only good on defense.
(d) He does best when backed up by artillery.
11. How does the battle between the riflemen and the first group of French work out?
(a) The French run.
(b) The riflemen run.
(c) Sharpe takes all the French prisoner.
(d) The riflemen win.
12. What does the French colonel say the French will allow?
(a) Vivar to have his ceremony.
(b) The townspeople to leave.
(c) The Spanish to have the palace.
(d) The Spanish volunteers to go free.
13. What does Vivar do with Sharpe's wine?
(a) Pours it on the floor.
(b) Gives it to the men at the next table.
(c) Hits him over the head with the bottle.
(d) Throws it in his face.
14. Why does Sharpe run back into the town?
(a) To find Louisa.
(b) To tell his men to get ready to leave.
(c) To make a request of Vivar.
(d) To go back to the tavern.
15. What does Vivar say blacksmiths will begin to make?
(a) New swords.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vivar want to discuss with Sharpe when Vivar comes to his table?
2. What does Sharpe command his riflemen to do?
3. What does Louisa say she intends to do after the battle?
4. What tactic does Sharpe want to use to attack Santiago de Compostela?
5. What do Sharpe and Harper discuss?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)