|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Louisa joined Sharpe's group?
(a) To get away from her uncle and aunt.
(b) She is tired of reading the Bible all the time.
(c) To have an adventure.
(d) She is looking for a husband.
2. Why does Louisa invite herself to dinner?
(a) She wants to meet Vivar's father.
(b) She is curious about the strongbox.
(c) To stay away from the troops for safety.
(d) She wants some decent food.
3. What do the British and Spanish decide to do when they arrive at a village in Chapter 6?
(a) Continue through it.
(b) Stay the night.
(c) Buy supplies and move on.
(d) Stay on the far side in a meadow.
4. What does the French negotiator tell Sharpe about the French army?
(a) The army is in Lisbon.
(b) It is in Madrid.
(c) It will be arriving soon.
(d) He is not part of the French army.
5. What does Vivar encourage Sharpe to do about Harper?
(a) Demote him.
(b) Arrest him.
(c) Flog him.
(d) Release him.
6. In the prologue, where have Vivar and his men taken refuge?
(a) In Santiago de Compostela.
(b) In Madrid.
(c) In the Black Forest.
(d) In the mountains.
7. Who is killed when the French assault the farmhouse?
8. What does Sharpe tell Parker his strategy is after they are in the farmhouse?
(a) To surrender in the morning.
(b) To sneak away after dark.
(c) To wait for the British main army to catch up to them.
(d) To cut the French down from the farmhouse.
9. What does Vivar say when Sharpe asks for explanations of what they are doing?
(a) He says he will talk later.
(b) He tells him about the strongbox.
(c) He tells him he doesn't have the need to know.
(d) Vivar says he can't tell Sharpe anything until the next week.
10. What does Williams tell Sharpe is the background of many of the riflemen?
(a) They are mostly from the cities.
(b) They are good sturdy farmers.
(c) They are thugs and criminals.
(d) They have been drafted against their wishes.
11. What do Sharpe's men do when he assembles them in the morning?
(a) Make loud, enthusiastic calls.
(b) Tell Sharpe they are still not going to Lisbon.
(c) Complain about the hour.
(d) Ask for breakfast.
12. What does Sharpe order Hagman to do when the French begin firing again?
(a) To re-negotiate with the French.
(b) To blow up the carriage.
(c) To escape and find Vivar.
(d) To start shooting the French horses.
13. What does Sharpe do when Harper thinks Sharpe has agreed with the men?
(a) Attacks Harper.
(b) Slaps Harper.
(d) Has Harper put in chains.
14. What does Sharpe do to a cavalry horse that reaches him?
(a) Pulls the rider off and mount it.
(b) Strikes it in the mouth with his sword.
(c) Cuts its front leg in half.
(d) Kicks it in the ribs.
15. In what direction is Davila supposed to go when he leaves Vivar?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the young British woman at the village?
2. What does Sharpe order Williams to do at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. What does Sharpe do when Mrs. Parker refuses to leave the carriage?
4. What does Sharpe find out the night after the battle with the French?
5. What does Sharpe do when they are running for the farmhouse?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)