|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Vivar bury the French dead?
(a) So they don't spread disease.
(b) So their ghosts won't bother him.
(c) So they have a Christian burial.
(d) So they don't attract wild animals.
2. What does Williams suggest to Sharpe?
(a) They scatter in the woods.
(b) They go east away from the French.
(c) They rescue the prisoners.
(d) They surrender to the French.
3. What does the man in the black coat and white boots say to Sharpe?
(a) Sharpe will be hung.
(b) Vivar stole the strongbox from him.
(c) Sharpe knows where the strongbox is located.
(d) Sharpe is a liar.
4. In the prologue, where have Vivar and his men taken refuge?
(a) In Madrid.
(b) In Santiago de Compostela.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) In the Black Forest.
5. How do the French plan to get close to the farmhouse?
(a) By pulling the supply wagons close to the house.
(b) By hiding behind the carriage.
(c) With barricades to protect them.
(d) By waving a white flag then throwing it down.
6. What does Sharpe tell Parker his strategy is after they are in the farmhouse?
(a) To wait for the British main army to catch up to them.
(b) To sneak away after dark.
(c) To cut the French down from the farmhouse.
(d) To surrender in the morning.
7. What does Sharpe tell the Parkers to do when he sights French cavalry?
(a) Continue down the road.
(b) Go off the road to the right.
(c) Stop and hide.
(d) Turn around.
8. Who is killed when the French assault the farmhouse?
9. Who does Sharpe meet with in the French troops?
(a) Captain Blaize.
(b) Major Plume la Tieri.
(c) Colonel de le'Tousi.
(d) Colonel de l'Eclin.
10. What does Vivar say when Sharpe asks for explanations of what they are doing?
(a) Vivar says he can't tell Sharpe anything until the next week.
(b) He tells him about the strongbox.
(c) He says he will talk later.
(d) He tells him he doesn't have the need to know.
11. For what does Vivar thank Harper?
(a) Saving Vivar's life.
(b) Covering the bridge across the river.
(c) Starting the forest fire.
(d) Saving the stongbox.
12. What does the French negotiator think Sharpe is trying to do?
(a) Help Vivar escape.
(b) Stop the French advance.
(c) Draw him away from Vivar's position.
(d) Sabotage his capture of Vivar.
13. What does Sharpe find out the night after the battle with the French?
(a) The French have taken Lisbon.
(b) The French have taken Santiago de Compostela.
(c) The Spanish army is only thrity miles away.
(d) The French have left Madrid.
14. Where do the riflemen go when they leave the farmhouse?
(a) North on the road.
(b) They go into the woods.
(c) They go behind the French troops.
(d) The go behind the barn.
15. From whom is Major Blas Vivar hiding a strongbox?
(a) The Spanish.
(b) The British.
(c) His sister.
(d) The French.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sharpe think about advancing directly into the French troops?
2. What does Williams tell Sharpe that Vivar has told Williams about the strongbox?
3. What does the French negotiator tell Sharpe about the French army?
4. What does Sharpe tell Williams to do if he does not want to obey Sharpe?
5. What will Vivar's troops do in the morning?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)