|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Vivar bury the French dead?
(a) So their ghosts won't bother him.
(b) So they have a Christian burial.
(c) So they don't attract wild animals.
(d) So they don't spread disease.
2. What does the French negotiator think Sharpe is trying to do?
(a) Sabotage his capture of Vivar.
(b) Draw him away from Vivar's position.
(c) Help Vivar escape.
(d) Stop the French advance.
3. What does the French commander tell Sharpe?
(a) He will hang all of Sharpe's men as thieves.
(b) He will burn the farmhouse down.
(c) He has ten minutes to surrender.
(d) He will let them go if Sharpe gives him the strongbox.
4. How does Sharpe get a telescope?
(a) His brother gives it to him for his birthday.
(b) His father leaves it to him.
(c) He receives it for bravery.
(d) He buys it when he is on leave.
5. From whom is Major Blas Vivar hiding a strongbox?
(a) The French.
(b) His sister.
(c) The British.
(d) The Spanish.
6. What do the British and Spanish decide to do when they arrive at a village in Chapter 6?
(a) Continue through it.
(b) Stay the night.
(c) Buy supplies and move on.
(d) Stay on the far side in a meadow.
7. What will Vivar's troops do in the morning?
(a) Go to Madrid.
(b) Continue on to Satiago de Compostela.
(c) Go to Lisbon.
(d) Stay at the village.
8. What does the French negotiator tell Sharpe about the French army?
(a) It is in Madrid.
(b) He is not part of the French army.
(c) The army is in Lisbon.
(d) It will be arriving soon.
9. What does Major Dunnet tell Captain Murray about the lieutenant?
(a) He is not a real officer.
(b) The lieutenant's men won't listen to him.
(c) He is incompetent.
(d) The lieutenant is a great tactician.
10. What does Harper do the night of the battle?
(a) Gets drunk.
(b) Rallies the men against going south.
(c) Gives Sharpe a formal apology.
(d) Challenges Sharpe to a duel.
11. Who arrives at the farmhouse with extra cavalry?
(b) Colonel de le'Tousi.
(c) Captain Blaize.
(d) Major Roberto de la Couscella.
12. What does Vivar say will defeat the French in Spain?
(a) Napoleon is going to die young.
(b) The Spanish have a better army.
(c) There are too many hiding places for guerrillas.
(d) The French need the Spanish to feed them.
13. Why is Sharpe worried about Louisa?
(a) Because of the upcoming fight.
(b) Because he worries she doesn't love him.
(c) Because she doesn't speak Spanish.
(d) The guerrillas may mistake her for being French.
14. What does Sharpe tell Williams to do if he does not want to obey Sharpe?
(a) Resign as sergeant.
(b) Duel with him.
(c) Dig himself a grave.
(d) Quit the army.
15. What does Sharpe order Hagman to do when the French begin firing again?
(a) To re-negotiate with the French.
(b) To escape and find Vivar.
(c) To start shooting the French horses.
(d) To blow up the carriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Vivar refer to his brother?
2. Where do the riflemen go when they leave the farmhouse?
3. What does Vivar say when Sharpe tells Vivar he plans to go south?
4. What do the riflemen do as the British retreat from the French?
5. What does Sharpe do when Mrs. Parker refuses to leave the carriage?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)