|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sharpe command Harper to do?
(a) To go to the attic and set up his big gun.
(b) To escort the Parkers to their carriage.
(c) To be sergeant.
(d) To sneak out of the farmhouse and go find the army.
2. What does Major Dunnet tell Captain Murray about the lieutenant?
(a) He is incompetent.
(b) The lieutenant is a great tactician.
(c) The lieutenant's men won't listen to him.
(d) He is not a real officer.
3. What does Sharpe learn about the road to Lisbon?
(a) There is more than one road going there.
(b) The road is full of Spanish refugees.
(c) The road is clear.
(d) The road has been destroyed.
4. What does Sharpe find out the night after the battle with the French?
(a) The French have taken Lisbon.
(b) The French have taken Santiago de Compostela.
(c) The French have left Madrid.
(d) The Spanish army is only thrity miles away.
5. What does Parker ask Sharpe to do?
(a) To allow his wife to leave.
(b) Negotiate the Parkers' release from the farmhouse.
(c) To keep his niece safe.
(d) To lend him a rifle.
6. What will Vivar's troops do in the morning?
(a) Go to Madrid.
(b) Stay at the village.
(c) Continue on to Satiago de Compostela.
(d) Go to Lisbon.
7. What do the British and Spanish troops do while traveling west?
(a) Fight the French.
(b) Stay off the main roads.
(c) Form into a cohesive army.
(d) Have minor brawls between the British and the Spanish troops.
8. What does Vivar ask Sharpe to do?
(a) Sneak behind the French lines.
(b) Leave the fighting to his Cazadores.
(c) Provide covering fire so he can charge the French.
(d) Go south to draw the French away.
9. By what title does Major Warren Dunnet address the lieutenant in Chapter 1?
(b) Officer on Duty.
(c) Logistics Commander.
(d) Company Commander.
10. What does Sharpe advise George to do?
(a) Go to Lisbon.
(b) Go to the coast.
(c) Join with the Spanish army.
(d) Stay with Vivar.
11. For what does Vivar thank Harper?
(a) Covering the bridge across the river.
(b) Saving Vivar's life.
(c) Saving the stongbox.
(d) Starting the forest fire.
12. From whom is Major Blas Vivar hiding a strongbox?
(a) The French.
(b) The Spanish.
(c) His sister.
(d) The British.
13. What does Sharpe order Williams to do at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) Form ranks.
(b) Move the wounded.
(c) Send men out for firewood.
(d) Take a squad to scout.
14. What does the French commander tell Sharpe?
(a) He has ten minutes to surrender.
(b) He will let them go if Sharpe gives him the strongbox.
(c) He will burn the farmhouse down.
(d) He will hang all of Sharpe's men as thieves.
15. Why does Vivar bury the French dead?
(a) So their ghosts won't bother him.
(b) So they don't spread disease.
(c) So they don't attract wild animals.
(d) So they have a Christian burial.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the young British woman at the village?
2. Who does Sharpe meet with in the French troops?
3. In the prologue, where have Vivar and his men taken refuge?
4. What does Vivar ask Sharpe to recount at the dinner table?
5. What does the French negotiator think Sharpe is trying to do?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)