|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the month and year in which this book begins?
(a) February, 1819.
(b) May, 1815.
(c) September, 1814.
(d) March, 1814.
2. What company does Harper join in Chapter 1?
(a) Bampfylde's Marines.
(b) The Blue Coats.
(c) The Royal Guards.
(d) Frederickson's company.
3. Why does Fredrickson fumble to open his watch at the opening of the novel?
(a) The watch latch is stuck.
(b) Sharpe is pushing on his arm.
(c) He is wearing gloves.
(d) He is sneezing.
4. What does Sharpe ask of the man in question #86?
(a) To find Ducos.
(b) To go with him to Teste de Buch.
(c) To send word to his wife.
(d) To find Henri Lassan.
5. How does Jane feel about Sharpe's career?
(a) She doesn't believe in war.
(b) It is very important to her.
(c) She is indifferent.
(d) She hates it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lassan's mother demand he do?
2. What fortress do Sharpe and Frederickson capture?
3. What do Sharpe and his friends plan to do in Bordeaux?
4. By what other designation is Henri's sister Lucille known?
5. Why is Lassan demoralized?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what company is Frederickson attached, what is Sharpe's position in that company and who else of Sharpe's acquaintance joins the company? What event does this enable?
2. With whom does Sharpe duel and why?
3. What are the British organizing to do in the beginning of this book and what has occurred in their military campaign that motivates this?
4. What happens as Sharpe and the others are about to board a ship in Bordeaux?
5. What do the British at Toulouse learn after the battle about Napoleon?
6. What do Sharpe and Frederickson find at the guard post in Bordeaux?
7. What does Sharpe and his friends do after the battle of Toulouse?
8. What do the three friends discuss in Chapter 1 and for what does Fredrickson ridicule Sharpe and the other friend?
9. Where do Nairn's troops participate in the battle at Toulouse and why and where do they then move?
10. What orders do Sharpe, Frederickson, and Harper receive?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)