|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rossendale practicing everyday?
(a) His dueling skills.
(b) Playing cards.
(c) Shooting his pistol accurately.
(d) His explanation to Sharpe.
2. Where do Sharpe and the others have to go to get into Ducos' room?
(a) The stream in the garden.
(b) The attic.
(c) The room next door.
(d) The basement.
3. How do Sharpe and Calvet plan to escape?
(a) In the rocky hills above the city.
(b) Through the alley behind the residence.
(c) In a boat.
(d) Through the woods.
4. Why does Frederickson leave Lucille's house?
(a) To pursue Ducos.
(b) To face his court martial.
(c) To find Harper.
(d) To return to London.
5. What are Rossendale's nights like for him?
(a) Being drunk every night.
(b) Wonderful with Jane as his lover.
(d) Restful and calm.
6. How does Sharpe feel about Lucille's estate?
(a) He is indifferent.
(b) He admires it.
(c) He hates it and wants to get home.
(d) He thinks it's ugly.
7. What type of behavior is Ducos beginning to exhibit?
(a) Paranoid and eccentric.
(b) Indifferent to the world.
8. How does Jane feel while waiting for Sharpe to return?
9. What is Ducos' punishment?
(a) Being shot dead.
(b) Paying back twice what he stole.
(c) Exile from France.
(d) Twenty years in prison.
10. In what season does Sharpe stay at Lucille's while recuperating?
11. Where does Ducos hide when Sharpe and the others breach the room?
(a) Behind the door.
(b) Behind a curtain.
(c) On the balcony.
(d) Under the desk.
12. What do Ducos's defensive preparations at his location say?
(a) He knows how competent Sharpe is.
(b) He does not feel any danger.
(c) He is protecting the Cardinal.
(d) He likes to be prepared.
13. What is one of the reasons that leads Sharpe to believe Jane might be leaving him?
(a) She has not written him any letters.
(b) She has written him but talks mostly of Rossendale.
(c) She has filed divorce papers.
(d) She has sent him only a little money.
14. Why is Lucille's gun so effective?
(a) She shoots Sharpe at the site of an old wound.
(b) It is her brother's large pistol.
(c) She shoots at her target point blank.
(d) It is loaded with multiple projectiles.
15. What weapon does Sharpe fire at the Neapolitan soldiers?
(b) The grasshopper.
(c) Harper's seven barrel gun.
(d) A sniper rifle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lucille write to Roland?
2. What do Sharpe and his group do while the French are firing on Ducos' estate?
3. What do d'Alembord and Harper worry about concerning Jane?
4. What do Sharpe and his group do at Ducos' estate?
5. What does Sharpe seek when he leaves Lucille's estate?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)