|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Calvet suggest to Sharpe?
(a) That Napoleon can clear Sharpe's name.
(b) To wait for Calvet to bring out Ducos.
(c) A joint operation.
(d) That Sharpe return to London.
2. What do Sharpe and his group do while the French are firing on Ducos' estate?
(a) Take out the perimeter guard.
(b) Attack the Cardinal's men.
(c) Penetrate deep into the building.
(d) Watch from a hill above the estate.
3. How does Jane feel while waiting for Sharpe to return?
4. For what does Ducos stand trial?
5. What type of behavior is Ducos beginning to exhibit?
(a) Indifferent to the world.
(d) Paranoid and eccentric.
6. In what season does Sharpe stay at Lucille's while recuperating?
7. What do d'Alembord and Harper worry about concerning Jane?
(a) Jane being hurt.
(b) Sharpe's money.
(c) Sharpe killing Jane.
(d) Sharpe's reaction.
8. What does Lucille wonder about Sharpe?
(a) How he survived the military.
(b) How anyone could love a man like him.
(c) Why the British have arrested him.
(d) Whether he will marry her.
9. Who do Sharpe and his group first encounter at Ducos's estate?
(a) Attack dogs.
(b) The Cardinal.
(c) Ducos' wife.
(d) Ducos' captain.
10. What do Frederickson and Harper do at Lucille's house?
(a) Make extensive repairs.
(b) Plan how to get Ducos.
(c) Play cards.
(d) Woo Lucille.
11. What do Sharpe and his group have to negotiate in order to escape?
(a) A moat.
(b) A marshy swamp.
(c) The city sewers.
(d) A steep cliff.
12. What does d'Alembord notice about Jane when he goes to see her in Chapter 10?
(a) That she has moved a lover into her house.
(b) That she is sick.
(c) The marked change in her.
(d) That she is pregnant.
13. What does Sharpe learn as he is recovering?
(a) How to paint in watercolors.
(d) How to keep the books on Lucille's estate.
14. Why does Calvet laugh when he takes the gun he holds under Sharpe's chin away?
(a) He admires Sharpe's response.
(b) The gun is empty.
(c) He is sadistic.
(d) He is glad he doesn't have to kill Sharp.
15. What does most of London society believe Sharpe will do with Jane upon his return?
(a) Beat her.
(b) Get her pregnant.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Discard her.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where do Sharpe, Frederickson, and Harper return?
2. What does Frederickson say to Lucille about Sharpe?
3. What does Roland send to the exiled Napoleon?
4. Where does Ducos hide when Sharpe and the others breach the room?
5. Of what does d'Alembord warn Harper?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)