• Following a successful invasion into southwestern France, the British army organizes to march on Toulouse.
• Jane demands Sharpe resign his commission and return to England with her but he refuses.
• He gives her a power of attorney, advises her to return to England and buy an estate, and claims he will shortly join her. She departs.
• Sharpe fights a duel with Captain Bampfylde arising over situations fully developed in a previous novel.
• Bampfylde's shot flies wide and Sharpe shoots the naval captain in the buttocks.
• Napoleon seeks to hide treasure in the event of failure; a vast sum of gold is shipped to Major Pierre Ducos for concealment.
• Ducos, realizing that France must soon fall, instead decides to steal the money.
• Captain William Frederickson, along with his rifle company, is attached to Major-General Nairn's force.
• Sharpe joins Nairn as chief of staff and Harper joins the...
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)